cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Discuss different approaches to quitting, including medication

kim30

Easy Way Users

I noticed this group at the very end of the list and I think we need to bring it to the forefront. This book is the best thing that happened to me and my quit. If you are serious about becoming an ex, I highly suggest it.

I have completed 9 days already, and except for a few little whispers from the nicotine monster, I have found it to be extremely easy. Not to mention, I don't want to kill anybody (hubby is very lucky). I FEEL AWESOME!! I have no desire to stuff my face instead of smoke, and have in fact, lost 2 lbs in the past week. The walking certainly helps.

Anyway, just wanted to post my two cents on this group, in hopes that others that have quit using this method will post theirs. It's a shame for this book not to be known to everyone serious about quitting.

Best of luck to all.
Labels (1)
0 Kudos
88 Replies
cosmoqueen

I know, but he wrote to the public near the end of his death that he was very  happy to have 20 years of his life smoke free and feeling the best he ever had.  God Bless him for helping the rest of us.  I want his legacy to live on and all of us that read his book(s) need to pay it forward!  He truly explained "addiction" in a simple and easy way to understand and walked us through putting an end to our suffering!

0 Kudos
ju_

I have heard a lot of people talk about this book and say it is quite inspirational...i think I'll give it a read...I will be quitting again Feb 19th for the 3rd time and will try anything that might help

0 Kudos
kay17

I just finished the book. Felt like he was talking straight to me and that he knew me and the way my mind works. I had 6 months smoke free on Chantix, but then cravings (the monster Allen talks about) came back, and I started the cycle again on cigars. I now feel better equipped as non-smoker today. YIPEE! I am a NON-SMOKER!

0 Kudos
cosmoqueen

CONGRATULATIONS KAY!!!  I am so happy for you!!  Cheers to a fellow Ex-Smoker!!  : )

0 Kudos
suzyq4

I just finished his book yesterday. It was interesting. amazing how fear can affect so many things in your life. Fear in quitting smoking is huge. Especially for long term smokers (I was one). Now I didn't read it before I quit (I'm on day 33 of a cold turkey quit) but if I had I think I would've had a hard time letting go of it. I'm pretty stubborn and a bit skeptical to boot. I totally agree we are addicts. And I have absolutely no intention of ever taking another puff. I'm also happy with being a nonsmoker. But when I was deep into my addiction there was NO WAY I would've ever believed in such a simple idea. Him and Joel Spitzer both agree on the addict aspect. Allen says Yippee I quit and Joel says N.O.P.E. One celebrates and one reaffirms. I think they both have the right idea however both have no use for NRT. I see NRT's use for some people....those that just cannot get over the fear. Learn to live without the physical habit of hand to mouth etc and then tackle the nicotine monster. Not my way but some just are not secure enough to believe in Allen's way.Different strokes for different folks.

0 Kudos
cosmoqueen

Thanks for your input Suzi, you have some very valid thoughts on the subject and now that I think about it, I agree with you.  I do believe that you actually have to want to quit in order for this information to help you.  I do not believe that a little pill (Chantrix) is going to do that for you either though.  A person has to be sick and tired of smoking to even attempt a quit.  It is so much a mental battle rather than physical I think.  Maybe that's just me though.  I never had that hand thing going (that you talked about on your blog regarding Mel Gibson - I love that guy - he's just so "real" and so damaged, you gotta love him!  Congratulations to you fellow Ex-Smoker!!  

0 Kudos
dayla

I am currently reading Allen's book and find it very informative. I am part of our company Wellness Team (imagine a smoker being in this roll), but who else would other smokers listen to anyway? So far I find the information in the book informative, but I just got serious about it on Monday.

I am so encouraged by these positive posts about the book! I was on here 2 weeks ago and did not see this information but heard about it through a fellow smoker. Congrats to all of you who have quit with or without the help of Allen's book.

0 Kudos
cosmoqueen

Thanks and congrats Dayla!   Remember, smokers are in all walks of life!  My own doctor used to smoke, until he had a heart attack!  He was a great person to talk to and understandable so, as far as smoking goes.  He never pushed me or looked disgusted with me (as a lot of other health "professionals" do)!  He was elated when I came to him with my news of quitting smoking - he made me feel like I just won the Olympics!!  LOL    Keep up the good work and keep me posted!

0 Kudos
MoeUnfiltered

Hello,

i still have to get the book but from read about Carr's theory the patch and other NRT's prolong the agony.I am 10 days stopped.The first 4.5 days I was wearing 2 patches and chewing 4 mg gum and now I am just  doing it.I went to a guy called the "mad russian".He discouraged the use of NRT's too and also suggested that I not dwell on smoking.He has helped many stay stopped.I really hope I did the right thing by stopping the NRT's.Before I stopped my lung Doc said I would rather see you addicted to Nicotine the rest of your life than smoke another cigarette.   I really thought that is what I would do stay on the patch for the rest of my life

0 Kudos
angeleyes

i went and got the book ( i own it ) and i read throu it 1 time and it didnt help the first time ! But i am reading it again and gonna read it a lot slower this time ! i put out my last one out on feb 16,2008 at 6 pm and have been doing good so far ! well off to bed ! AND IM A NON SMOKER NOW !

0 Kudos