cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Discuss different approaches to quitting, including medication

Andrevier

Day One no nicotine

What are the pros and cons of quitting cold turkey. Also any tips on quitting cold turkey as I would rather not have to purchase alternative nicotine methods. 

Labels (1)
3 Replies
MarilynH

Welcome to the community @Andrevier, I quit cold turkey or maybe I should call it smart turkey because of joining this community and reading everything I could find right here on this site to which strengthened my resolve to kick the nicotine poison to the curb permanently and you will to to plus I drank alot of water and still do and I chomped on carrots and celery sticks to which helped me plus I kept a bag of sugar free mints around in case of of any unforseen cravings, stay close because we're all here to help you in any way we can and we are rooting you on You've got this believe it.....

0 Kudos
Barbscloud

Welcome to the Ex @Andrevier I don't know that you'll do anything different.  An aid helps take the edge off and has helped many quitters be successful.

With or without an aid, it helps to understand nicotine addiction and to have a quit plan.  Identify what tools you'll use and the new associations you'll create instead of smoking.    I used two aids, but found I wasn't successful in the past because I didn't understand the process and hadn't fully prepared.  And having the support of other quitters made quitting possible for me.

Begin your journey.   We're here for you.

Barb

0 Kudos
icbarr

HI @Andrevier !  Having done both methods, I discovered that I prefer cold turkey.  I am using the Smoke Away supplements after trying several other smart turkey methods . The structure of program has been helpful to me. I am on day 3 after being on nicotine lozenges for one week,  and feel far better without the lozenges. There is something very powerful about not having any nicotine in my body for 3 whole days too! Before the lozenges,  I tried nicotine patches and Chantix. The patches did nothing for me, and the  Chantix medication caused me to feel very weird. 

My suggestion is to not be afraid to try what works best for you, and to listen closely to your body. 

0 Kudos