cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Discuss different approaches to quitting, including medication

tkahley

Day 29 on Chantix...still smoking...getting very irritable and sad. Should I stick with it?

Day 29 on Chantix, still smoking and starting to get sad, anxious, irritable so much so I couldn't go to work today.

Two weeks ago I was still smoking the same amount, but noticed I was getting irritable, so I went back on Wellbutrin (been off for almost a year).  I read that the combination actually may help to quit.  Continued to smoke the same amount until this past week.  Now a pack lasts 3 days, but I'm so not myself!  I'm going to stop the Wellbutrin again to see if that helps at all.  

Has anyone had any similar experiences?  I'm trying to decide if I should push through and continue with the Chantix.

Labels (1)
Tags (1)
15 Replies
VAPEASDEADLY

welbutrin is a medication that takes time to build and stay at a therapeutic level.  I am not familiar with Chantix , irritability is a symptom of nicotine withdrawal.  if you were prescribe by your doctor, check in with them. the welbutrin can help with both the anxiety and irritability and is often used by itself when going through withdrawal from nicotine.

Truth be told, i am off ALL nicotine all together 54 days did so cold turkey, to use your quote " I am so, not myself!" either. Guess what. that is true. I feel unsettled and strange, disconnected. I  am not the same person i was when i was vaping and using nicotine. Our brains heal and change as will our body, expect those changes.
it does get better. I've noticed in the last couple of weeks the anxiety has dropped.

Barbara145

When do you intend to quit?  I say bite the bullet.  Staying on the Chantix and still smoking may be your problem.

YoungAtHeart

Welcome to our community!

I am not a doctor, and I think your question should be directed to one.  However - you WILL have to get through some withdrawal symptoms as you reduce the level of nicotine in your system - and that might be the cause of your mood challenges.  There is no "Get Out of Jail Free Card" in this process - the aids to help are exactly that and may not completely remove the withdrawals.  They should, however, make them more manageable.  I agree about the Welbutrin - take it or not  - but don't keep going on and off.

Do some reading, some prep and planning and then just stop smoking and get through the initial part of the journey.  It is a decision you will never regret.

The important thing you can do right now is to educate yourself on what nicotine does to your body and mind. To that end, I highly recommend Allen Carr's “The Easy Way to Stop Smoking.” This is an easy and entertaining read. You can search for it online or at your local library. If you do nothing else to get ready for your quit, please do give this a read.

You should also read the posts here and perhaps go to the pages of folks who you think might be helpful. You might visit whyquit.com, quitsmoking.com and livewell.com for the good information contained there. @https://excommunity.becomeanex.org/groups/best-of-ex has lots of blogs written by members of this site with their experiences and guidance. Here is a video to inform you further about nicotine addiction: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IpWMgPHn0Lo&feature=youtu.be.

It will be informative if you do the tracking and separation exercises recommended here on the site. As you track each cigarette smoked, note its importance, and what you might do instead. Put each one off just a little to prove that you don't NEED a cigarette just because you think you do.

The idea is to change up your routines so the smoking associations are reduced.  Drink your coffee with your OTHER hand in a place different from when you smoked. Maybe switch to tea for a bit.  If you always had that first smoke with your coffee, try putting your tennies on right out of bed, going for a quick walk, then taking your shower and THEN your coffee! Rearrange the furniture in the areas you used to smoke so the view is different. Buy your gas at a different station. Take a different route to work. Take a quick walk at break time where the smokers AREN'T.

You need to distract yourself through any craves.  You can take a bite out of a lemon (yup - rind and all), put your head in the freezer and take a deep breath of cold air, do a few jumping jacks, go for a brisk walk or march in place, play a computer game.  Keep a cold bottle of water with you from which to sip. Don't let that smoking thought rattle around in your brain unchallenged. Sometimes you need to quit a minute or an hour at a time.  You will need to be disciplined in the early days to distract yourself when a crave hits.    Get busy!  Here is a link to a list of things to do instead of smoke if you need some fresh ideas:
 https://excommunity.becomeanex.org/blogs/Youngatheart.7.4.12-blog/2013/02/25/100-things-to-do-instea...
The conversation in your head in response to the "I want a cigarette" thought needs to be, "Well, since I have decided not to do that anymore, what shall I do instead for the three minutes this crave will last?"  Then DO it.  You will need to put some effort into this in the early days, but it gets easier and easier to do.

Stay close to us here and ask questions when you have them and for support when you need it. We will be with you every step of the way!

Nancy

IrishRose

I do not think it is a good idea to be taking Chantix and smoking at the same time.  Chantix is known to speed up your heart rate, and smoking does the same thing.  Maybe, you should push those cancer sticks into the garbage can and start your true quit today.  Lots of help on this site if you decide to do that.  Just saying!

Gentle (((((hug))))) for you.

sweetplt

Hi and Welcome to Ex’s...I wanted to welcome you to our site...I can’t be of help because I don’t know anything about Chantix and Wellbutrin...I hope you plan a quit date soon...and I am sorry you are feeling these emotions and haven’t even quit...it seems many have giving some good advice above me...might I add, please read at My EX Plan | BecomeAnEX ~ Colleen 148 DOF 

Barbscloud

That is incorrect.  You're supposed to continue to smoke on Chantix and Welbutrin for a certain amount of time prior to and during your quit.  I've done both.  Were you already taking Welbutrin for a different reason?   If so, are you self-medicating unrelated to smoking?   Drugs like Welbutrin need to be taken for a period of time to be effective.   Not starting and stopping.  Maybe you should check with your doctor that prescribed these medications

Barb

IrishRose

Barbscloud , My daughter was taking Chantix and smoking, and she had the same symptoms.  We all know that smoking causes your heart to race.  Also, Chantix has been documented in a number of patients to cause heart attacks.  If you smoke and take Chantix...  what do you get???  Not good to do both if they are causing you to be anxious and irritable.  That cocktail needs to be rethought.

Just saying.

0 Kudos
Barbscloud

https://www.chantix.com/getting-started-with-chantix/three-ways-to-quit    You are supposed to take it prior to quitting and into a certain number of days after you quit.   That's how it works.  Having side effects from Chantix is a different issue and you can choose not to use it all .

Ericnc

Just my two cents, but I have tried Chantix and cold turkey and neither worked. This time I used Chantix and have made it 17 days or so. I don’t think the chantix made the withdraws any less. It still sucks. But what it did do is deaden the effect of a cigarette I bumped a couple days ago. I couldn’t even tell I smoked anything. For me it is a life preserver against a relapse. 

I dont care care how many drugs you take, it’s going to suck.