cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Discuss different approaches to quitting, including medication

nancympearson

Cold Turkey Quitters

Ann, I didn't do the tracking. I just quit. I think they help but I wanted to quit when my courage allowed me to quit. If it feels right for you, do the tracking. It might get you to relax and get you used to quitting and it can take some of the fear away. It sure wouldn't hurt to do it. Stay close to this site and focus on the positive. Nancy

Labels (1)
0 Kudos
647 Replies
Sylvia_Deitz

Hi Olivia! Today is the big Qday for you, too! I hope you're hangin' in there! Rather than repeat myself from below, just follow what I wrote to Stormy and you'll make it through the day just fine. Of course it's not going to be easy, but let yourself have whatever you feel like having....just not alcohol or a cigarette. I say alcohol because it will ruin your resolve to quit smoking. My point is at first when you have to not smoke, let yourself have a gooy desert, ice cream or whatever else you've been denying yourself. You can only do this for a little while, though or you'll gain too much weight. It really helped me at first. Of course now I have to get the 12 lbs off I gained, but I've already lost 5 of it and it was worth it to become a non-smoker. Good luck to you, Hon!
0 Kudos
olivia

Anybody still apart of this group? Today is day 3 of cold turkey for me 🙂
0 Kudos
melissa5

I quit cold turkey on Jan 9th 2009 because I was tired of feeling like crap and they changed my cigs to fire safe cigs and they were making me more sick then ever! So I took it as "my time" to quit. I have 88 days and loving every minute of it. I dont understand why people cant just stop w/ out the nicotine replacement. I think it would be almost harder to quit w/ it. I dont know. Also did I mention I smoked for 20yrs??? Nasty
0 Kudos
olivia

Yay, someone else is here!! I quit Cold Turkey on April 1st, 2009 and I am almost done with Hell week....although Day 2 was the closest thing to Hell I've experienced on this journey..the rest of the time has been fine. I have tried the patch, the ecigarette, lozenges, etc. But until I got to this EX site....I never saw that it is possible to quit Cold Turkey and love it! I also never understood that we are addicted to Nicotine...so why try to quit smoking while still putting nicotine in our body? That makes no sense to me...I always wondered why I relapsed while using those things. I was getting my nicotine..but not the way I WANTED it..which would be inhaling it. So the easiest way for me is to quit Cold Turkey! And it has been the easiest out of all my other quits, go figure!
0 Kudos
Chad6

Just wanted to make a very quick comment on the "fire safe cigarettes", the only change in the actual cigarette is in 3 places they doubled up the paper to make it more difficult for the coal to burn down, so its not that they placed "chemicals" or anything else to the cigarette.
0 Kudos
kellie3

3 days, 3 hours, 27 seconds Cold Turkey Quit 🙂
0 Kudos
jimmy-meraw

I quit cold turkey and its been like a roller coaster up and down
0 Kudos
sherry3

3 weeks cold turkey for me. can still be tough at times but i'm gonna make it!
Monday Pictures, Images and Photos
0 Kudos

I didn't mean to quit cold turkey, I bought lozenges and wierd enough, just never used them and decided to just go cold turkey. It has been rough but it is do-able! Its been over 4 days and I do look forward to sleep someday in the future!
0 Kudos
angie5

I had been using meds and the patch, some success but not complete. I had had bronchitis 2X since April 21 and my chest hurt. I said to myself, why am I prolonging the agony. You are going to have to go through withdrawals regardless. Decided right then, better now than later...that was a WEEK AGO and I smoked 40 yrs. I know what you mean Cheryl Lee, I hope I sleep one day : )
0 Kudos