cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Discuss different approaches to quitting, including medication

nancympearson

Cold Turkey Quitters

Ann, I didn't do the tracking. I just quit. I think they help but I wanted to quit when my courage allowed me to quit. If it feels right for you, do the tracking. It might get you to relax and get you used to quitting and it can take some of the fear away. It sure wouldn't hurt to do it. Stay close to this site and focus on the positive. Nancy

Labels (1)
0 Kudos
647 Replies
teresa9

Lord I an having a hard day. I have been looking for excuses all day. What is so hard about today??
0 Kudos
Sylvia_Deitz

So...Teresa, is this day 2 for you? It's just hard because you just started your quit. I don't know why it's harder than day 1. For me they were all hard until I reached about a week. Then the days got a little easier. I hope you're spending time on this site. It really helps and are you remembering the deep breaths? How about exercise? Also at first be good to yourself. Eat whatever you want, go shopping & buy something just for you. Just try to spend time in places where you can't smoke. Write notes to yourself and paste them all over the house about your goals and reasons to stay smoke free. You're going to make it. I just know you will!
0 Kudos
peter-s.

Hi Teresa, Hang tough, don't take a single puff. Be yourself, the person
  that you want to be and are. The craving will pass in a few minutes. It is
  so very important that you do anything but smoke. Be a good girl and Do
  Not Smoke. You have such a nice smile. Why ruin it with a butt ? That,s
  about right. Crave is gone. Do anything but smoke. It does get easier.
  Go for a run. Chew some gum. Dance. Take a shower. Please don't smoke.
0 Kudos
sarah21

the beginning of day 5 and i still want to smoke i understand that it does get easier but going cold turkey is not easy as you all know. with a little help from other people i now that i can get through this. i am not alone.
0 Kudos
Sylvia_Deitz

Good Morning! Teresa & Sarah, you're both doing wonderfully! You're right, cold turkey isn't the easiest way to quit smoking, but it's the fastest. Really, by the time you get to being quit a week, the worst of the cravings are gone. You guys are almost to that point. I felt a lot better in 5 days. Of course I still got cravings, but not as close together and I didn't think of cigs all the time. Each day that passes gets easier. Keep on keepin' on!
0 Kudos
teresa9

Thanks for thre support Sylvia. Mornings are the most diffcult for me. That was the time I was most concerned about before my quit. As the day went on I wanted to smoke but not like first thing in the morning. The "voices" try and talk me into just one. But......so far I havent acted.
0 Kudos
Sylvia_Deitz

Just remember, Teresa, just one will put you right back to the beginning. From there you'll soon be back to your normal amount of smoking or you'll have the choice to get right back to quitting which will be harder, of course. You sure don't want to have to go back and start over. Just keep your reasons for quitting forefront in your mind. Take one craving at a time. Try not to think too far ahead and take deep cleansing breaths when the cravings get bad. I wish I could do it for you, but we each have to do it our own way. If you haven't already, go to the WhyQuit.com site and read some more about how to quit. There are so many great articles there. That site is all about quitting cold turkey.
0 Kudos
Sylvia_Deitz

BTW, I just read again on WhyQuit about the fact that when you are no longer smoking, caffeine will affect you twice as much as when you were, so if you feel like climbing the walls and are still on your morning coffee, that's why. I'm on 148 days now and I still can't have a cup of regular coffee or I'd be miserable all day. I can get by with decaf and diet pepsi or coke don't affect me much, but regular coffee, no way!
0 Kudos
teresa9

GREAT POINT!
0 Kudos
ellen5

Hey, Sylvia, congrats on 148 days!!!! I have, oh, gee, I'm not really sure, but I quit on October 26, 2008. It's nice that you offer your support to those just beginning the "journey". I am so happy I don't smoke anymore. I do think about it maybe once a day, but that's it. So, remember all you newbies, it DOES get better!!!!!
0 Kudos