cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Discuss different approaches to quitting, including medication

nancympearson

Cold Turkey Quitters

Ann, I didn't do the tracking. I just quit. I think they help but I wanted to quit when my courage allowed me to quit. If it feels right for you, do the tracking. It might get you to relax and get you used to quitting and it can take some of the fear away. It sure wouldn't hurt to do it. Stay close to this site and focus on the positive. Nancy

Labels (1)
0 Kudos
647 Replies
dawn80

I am doing pretty good with this cold turkey.It has been 4 days since my last cigarette.I am still having those bad cravings for a cigarette when i first wake up and after i eat.Anyone with some helpful advice to nip those cravings in the butt? I have been using the vapor cigarttes they do help during the day .

0 Kudos
jaimefriggin

So i quit cold turkey(has anyone ever asked why we say that?) and I have reached the day and a half mark.  I feel great(ish).  Mentally that is.  🙂  I'm gonna read through some posts and get a feel for this group now that I have introduced myself.

0 Kudos
healthynewme

Cold Turkey...who on earth came up with that phrase?  It reminds me of leftover Thanksgiving turkey sandwiches...Mmmm

Anyway, moving on....tomorrow is my quit day and I intend to go "cold turkey" for lack of a better term....I've tried and lost several times in my quest to quit smoking but this time I'm feeling good about it.  I'm prepared mentally and physically.  As much as I can be anyway 😉 

To all those who have done it before me, I say Thank You! for proving that it CAN be done. 

Happy Quit's!

0 Kudos
ernmsn

My first day without a cigarette was June 25.  I've been feeling kind of depressed.  Is this normal?  Has anyone else had this problem?  If so I could use some suggestions on how to get rid of this horrible feeling.

0 Kudos
sandraka2

Quiting is my goal

0 Kudos
october2001

August 11 2011 is my quit day and I am going to do this cold turkey.  I can use all the support and advice I can get.  Thank you in advance.

0 Kudos

Best of luck to all the newbie cold turkeys, you've made a wise choice of going the non med route, Not that there's anything wrong with nicotine replacement but it's another quit you'd have had to endure and best get it over with once! 

At a day and a half into my quit over 3 years ago, I remember crying out in a blog how hard it was and how I thought I was going to need medication. A wonderful person reached out to me and told me, "Hey, hang in there, you're halfway done! If you start the meds you'll have to quit those too."  It really helped me get through the first 72 hours.

Things to remember on your quit....

It only takes one puff to undo all your quitting and reset your addiction, so don't be tempted to ease the cravings with 'just a little' to get you through.

You are undoing a habit that probably took a long time to establish and is deeply embedded in not only your psyche but your chemistry. It's going to be hard but I promise it gets easier and if you slip, start again and don't beat yourself up about it. My final quit was attempt number 5 or 6! 

Write it out! Keeps your hands busy, your mind clear and your emotions on the support site rather than being hurtful to your family or friends. I got angry and sad and scared, etc... Talking it out here helped so much! If you do happen to snap then apologize and just remind them that you're going through a temporary and challenging time and remind them how much you appreciate their support. I warned my kids ahead of time that mommy was gonna be a little grouchy and if I said something wrong that it wasn't me it was the trying to quit.

Reach out, there is always someone here willing to support you. That's what I love about BecomeAnEx, it's a community not just an information site. I found the right advice for the right moments; sometimes I needed the advice of someone accomplished who could remind me that there is a light at the end of the tunnel and some days I really needed to share with someone who could relate in real time, as they were going through the process, too.

Good luck to everyone and I'm here if you need me!~Karma

0 Kudos
torina2

Cold turkey all the way out.

0 Kudos
abowers87

So day two of no smoking and I am ready to scream! If I did not keep coughing I would be smoking I am sure!!!! Cold turkey is going to work for me but I need help!!! Any advice???

0 Kudos
Susan57

My two year anniversary is a few days away..... Yaaaaaaayyyyyyy

0 Kudos