cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Discuss different approaches to quitting, including medication

nancympearson

Cold Turkey Quitters

Ann, I didn't do the tracking. I just quit. I think they help but I wanted to quit when my courage allowed me to quit. If it feels right for you, do the tracking. It might get you to relax and get you used to quitting and it can take some of the fear away. It sure wouldn't hurt to do it. Stay close to this site and focus on the positive. Nancy

Labels (1)
0 Kudos
647 Replies
nancympearson

Hello Jeff. Love your cat! Nine days in. You made it through the first week. Congratulations! It does get easier as the days add up. Going cold turkey is hard but I believe it is the best way to go. Not having to come off chantix or nicotine products. Get it done all at once and for all. I smoked forever and it was really hard to to say good bye to my best friend---or so I thought. I couldn't function for two weeks. I had to learn how to talk to people, eat without the smoke for dessert, work on the computer and drive all over again. I am one day short of 300 days now. It has been a roller coaster ride of highs and lows but I think i am going to make it this time forever. I will never regret all the hard times because being smoke free is it's own reward. Again Congratulations. Keep

up the good work. Always remember there is someone here to help if you need us. You take care, Nancy
0 Kudos
patricia6

I am starting a new day and having a hopeless helpless feeling moment. I am so distraught and I am not shaking it. I just considered giving up entirely. I had planned to go for a walk this morning. I am so tired from crying and so disgusted with how my lfe and relationships have been. I don't want to smoke.
0 Kudos
nancympearson

congratulations Andrea---You're doing it and it feels pretty good so far, doesn't it? There will be some tough times---highs and lows will come and go, but if your resolve is strong this quitting business is so much worth it.Going cold turkey is hard but just think, once you've made it through the first week you don't have to quit something else----you are done!!!! No nicotine will be left in three days in your system to flush out at a later date and no chantix to quit. If you need us we are here. God bless you on your journey and stay strong.
0 Kudos
Susan57

Hi, it has been a while, today is day 56 for myself, this does get easier. The cravings do cease, more than I thought they would ever. Life is great without cigarettes and never thought I would ever be saying this. Just 56 days and already my life is taking on a new meaning. Cold Turkey is the most difficult thing I ever had to do, I did it, so can you. When I first stopped my personality was not reconizable to my husband, friends, family, and myself. I hated everyone, and this included myself. To some this does not happen, to be it did, big time. Never , ever, will I put myself through this or any one else. My good wishes go out to everyone who is now going through Cold Turkey, it is worth every moment, you will appreciate your quit and will not go back to smoking, NOT ONE PUFF, Have a good day, Cheers, Susan
0 Kudos
jaynalynn

I am almost through with day 3. Is it true that the nicotine is out of your system in 72 hours? That each day after that gets a little easier? Because today has been pretty tough......I need to know what to expect.
0 Kudos
jaynalynn

Patricia, I am on day 3 and also having an awful day. Panicky, crying, angry, fighting with my ex, eating like a truck driver. I probe down and had a little medicine to help me relax. Maybe that is wrong or considered cheating but I really don't care. I will get thru this with a little help if needed.
0 Kudos
nancympearson

HI Patricia, I am so sorry you are having such a hard time. Life is a challenge with out smoking I know. I have been through some very tough times with my buddy the cigarette. I started to smoke after a very violent experience when I was 18----44 years ago. It has been a roller coaster ride for my life ever since. Cigarettes were the only constant in my life. They were always there. When I quit I grieved for my friends. Everything that was wrong in my life suddenly got worse without the smokes. I cried for how hopeless my life was and I didn't see the light at the end of the tunnel for days. But when you do something positive for yourself and focus on that change your life eventually starts looking up.And quitting smoking is the most positive thing you can do for yourself. If this depression continues, it would maybe be a good thing to go and talk to somebody about it. I have struggled with depression all my life and I can say that at last it is under control so there is hope if you just wait it out or get help.It is just living through the negative right now that is hard, but this too shall pass. Please hang in there with us and don't smoke---believe me that will just add to your negative feelings. We are there for you, Dear. Just try and focus on the positive. My prayers are with you. Love Nancy

0 Kudos
Sylvia_Deitz

Andrea...Good for you! I'm glad you're not having a really hard day 1! Yes, I really do believe those quit meters help so much. I used to love coming to my page and watch it tick off the minutes. It's not as exciting when you get up over a year, but it's still fun whenever I go to my page to check it out.
0 Kudos
Sylvia_Deitz

Patricia... Wow! I'm so sorry you're feeling so down! What I remember feeling the most in those early weeks was anxiety in my stomach, like if I'd had too much caffeine, but I didn't have any. I hated that feeling, but knew that eventually it would go away as it will with you, too. You just have to make up your mind that there's no choice...you are going to quit smoking and that's final. The rest of your life will be wonderful, I promise, but you have to hang in there and get through 3 or 4 weeks before you really start feeling happier. You just can't be thinking in the back of your mind, "well, if this doesn't work, I'll just be hooked for life" or "if this doesn't work, I can try again", because then you lose your committment to yourself to do this. You have to say, "I can do this and I will no matter what!"
0 Kudos
Sylvia_Deitz

Jaynalynn Well, they say 3 days and the nicotine is all gone from your system, but I wouldn't count on it being completely gone. I found it was more like the 5th or 6th day. At least that's when I found I could think more clearly and I wasn't going around in a fog. It takes longer to feel better mentally and emotionally. It depends on how positive you are about wanting to be successful. You have to want to quit way more than you want to be a smoker and be able to say a final "goodbye" to that friend that was always there for you and realize that he was really out to kill you...maybe not right away, but slowly with each cigarette you smoked he did a little more damage until you're faced with trying to live with cancer or emphysema as I am. Believe me, it's no fun trying to get enough air to get through each task!
0 Kudos