cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Discuss different approaches to quitting, including medication

nancympearson

Cold Turkey Quitters

Ann, I didn't do the tracking. I just quit. I think they help but I wanted to quit when my courage allowed me to quit. If it feels right for you, do the tracking. It might get you to relax and get you used to quitting and it can take some of the fear away. It sure wouldn't hurt to do it. Stay close to this site and focus on the positive. Nancy

Labels (1)
0 Kudos
647 Replies
ellen5

Welcome to all you "newbies"! You have found the best website for quitting smoking IMHO.
  Whether you are on day one or day ninety, you CAN and WILL make it. I am celebrating one year tomorrow after finding this site. Hang in there, you won't EVER regret it!
0 Kudos
hwc

You guys are rockin'.

Jayna lynn: The first day is such a leap of faith. I mean, I didn't think I could even go the darn bathroom without smoking! What a discovery to find that the world didn't come to an end going 24 hours without nicotine. It was kind of thrilling actually.

Patricia: Two days startst to get real. I think it was the start of day three when it really hit me that I could actually do it. Quit after 38 years. It was an exhilirating moment, all possible because I had just gone 2 days and proven to myself that I could actually quit.

Margie: WOW. A month is hard core. Huge anniversary. I think it kind of marks the transition where "quitting" is winding down and living as an ex-smoker is just starting. The fun part is just getting started for you.
0 Kudos
patricia6

Day three. I have been crying since it was dark on and off. I am very depressed and I feel like this is never going to end.
0 Kudos
courtney10

Patricia, It ends, I swear it does. Hang on. Someone once told me to tell yourself you can smoke tomorrow. Tomorrow, tell yourself the same thing. Tomorrow, of course, never comes. You'll be smoke free befor you know it.
  Cry for a week if you need to, just DON'T SMOKE.
0 Kudos
Sylvia_Deitz

Hi Patricia! Yes, as Courtney says, It will end. One day you'll wake up and you won't be sad anymore. Try to look at this quit as the beginning of a whole new life...one without always having to worry where and when your next smoke is coming from. Believe me, the freedom you have from not smoking is like finding a pot of gold! It is so worth the agony you're going through now. You need to get some tryptophan to help you sleep. Lack of sleep will mess you up royally. Also, as I've said before, you're going through a form of grief and it will make you sad for awhile, but you will snap out of it and when you do, you'll be soooooo....glad you hung in there! By tomorrow the nicotine will be all out of your body. You should feel considerably better then.
0 Kudos
Sylvia_Deitz

Jaynalynn...Welcome! I'm so glad you joined! You're doing wonderfully! You must be on day 2 today! Day 2 is the day when you realize that you can actually make it through a day without having to smoke. Once you get that through your head, then it's a lot easier. You're not fighting it as much. Once you get through a week or two, it gets so much easier. You get stronger with each craving that you said N.O.P.E. (not one puff ever) making it easier to get through the next day.
0 Kudos
Sylvia_Deitz

Hi Margie! You've made it to one month already! That's awesome! It seems like yesterday that you had a day 1. Of course that's looking at it from my point of view. Has it gone by fast or slow for you? Are you still thinking of smoking all day long or do you find yourself forgetting about cigarettes for awhile at this point?
0 Kudos
nancympearson

Hi Patricia, The depression will end. My advice to you is to stay as close to this site as possible.When I quit I read read read and wrote blogs and read and answered comments---just to stay online. I couldn't sleep either ad staying on line kept me focused on my quit. I smoked for 44 years at two packs a day and the shock to my system left me so on edge. I learned how to take slow deep breaths and drank a lot of water to flush the nicotine out of my system faster. I am almost 300 days into my quit now and I never have had even one puff to tide me over in the beginning. I considered cigarettes my friends and I did grieve at first. But everyday gets easier to say good bye to those "friends". You can do this! We are here for you. God bless you on this journey. Love, Nancy

0 Kudos
Sylvia_Deitz

Hi Nancy! I see you made it over here. I'm sorry I wasn't clear enough about the name of this group. It's wonderful to have you join! Perhaps you can share some of your quitting experiences...something that helped you remain strong and not give in when the going got tough.
0 Kudos
Sylvia_Deitz

Ellen and hwc...thanks to both of you for being here yesterday! I had another day that I was tied up elsewhere. I really appreciate you stepping in and helping the newbies! Ellen...tomorrow is your big day!! One whole year! What a great accomplishment! Congratulations, Hon!!!
0 Kudos