cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Discuss different approaches to quitting, including medication

nancympearson

Cold Turkey Quitters

Ann, I didn't do the tracking. I just quit. I think they help but I wanted to quit when my courage allowed me to quit. If it feels right for you, do the tracking. It might get you to relax and get you used to quitting and it can take some of the fear away. It sure wouldn't hurt to do it. Stay close to this site and focus on the positive. Nancy

Labels (1)
0 Kudos
647 Replies
ashley3

ditto thanks sylvia!
0 Kudos
kimmie2

Thank you for the well wishes.
0 Kudos
ellen5

Yes, thank you to Sylvia!!! You have been so vigilant about coming to this website to offer hope and support! Now you have 7 months is it? I really do feel comfortable without smoking and when I smell it on someone else, it smells really gross. I also don't want to put anything into my lungs other than clean air. I'm 53 but I want to take up running again. I did it in my 30's before picking up a cigarette again and I think I'll be able to do it again. Having a hobby or being active in a sport that makes it near impossible to smoke makes it easier to stay stopped. And bowling and golf don't count!!!!
0 Kudos
Sylvia_Deitz

Thank you all! You're all so sweet to write such nice compliments to me! I just try to put myself in your shoes and think back about how I felt at the same point you are. It's a miserable, frustrating place to be for most of you, but you'll get beyond that before long. Then you'll be soooo... happy that you stuck it out! Sandi, thanks for posting this poem about encouragement. It is so true! Hope you don't mind that I saved it. You're so right about people who use a crutch to quit. Then they have to get off that. My accountant, who I saw yesterday, said he has some friends who have been on the patch for over a year and just can't get off of it. I have a friend who has been on the gum for a couple years, so you see, it's really hard for twice in your life....once to get off cigarettes and again to get off the crutch. We're doing it right, believe me! You all have a wonderful, smoke free day!
0 Kudos
kimmie2

I'm so excited I found this cold turkey spot. I am super excited today is day 21 (3 WEEKS) NICOTINE FREE!! and 27 days cigarette free. Yay Yay!!! It's gotten so much easier with each day. I never would have thought so.
0 Kudos
Sylvia_Deitz

I'm so happy you found us, too, Kimmie! Congrats on 3 whole weeks for you! Almost a month without a cigarette! I'm so excited for you! When you're so into your addiction, you just don't think it's even possible to make it happen, but when you see you can actually do it, you feel on top of the world! Keep up the good work!
0 Kudos
Sylvia_Deitz

Hi Andrew! I just saw on the main page that you joined our group and wanted to welcome you! So where are you in your quit? We all think cold turkey is the way to do it. We'd love to hear how you're doing!
0 Kudos
andrew2

Hi sylvia - totally agree - I also believe in cold turkey - I was anxious about my quit, and seriously considering getting the gum, but I wanted to not be dependent on nicotine. I also read some stuff about NRT in Whyquit.com. Anyway, its been 24 days in total, and I feel great - still occasionally think about having a cig, but never need one. Am hoping that will go away in the next few weeks/months. So yeah! Cold Turkey all the way!!
0 Kudos
Sylvia_Deitz

Let's all give Jessica a big welcome! Welcome, Jessica! I'm so glad to see you join our group! I hope you'll find some good friends here and learn about quitting cold turkey. I just posted the discussion, Cold Turkey Quit Tips and Info. It's pretty long, but there's a lot of good info there to really help with your quit.
0 Kudos
ashley3

wow so many newbies. That's great!! Welcome everyone!
0 Kudos