cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Discuss different approaches to quitting, including medication

nancympearson

Cold Turkey Quitters

Ann, I didn't do the tracking. I just quit. I think they help but I wanted to quit when my courage allowed me to quit. If it feels right for you, do the tracking. It might get you to relax and get you used to quitting and it can take some of the fear away. It sure wouldn't hurt to do it. Stay close to this site and focus on the positive. Nancy

Labels (1)
0 Kudos
647 Replies
regina

hey all..
  i'm new to the site.. my quit date was january 14th, so it's almost 48 hrs smoke free for me cold turkey.. i'm not sure if anyone else experienced insomnia but i cannot fall asleep for the life of me and i have been diagnosed with anxiety in the past, but i feel very nervous at times and of course i'm fighting this whole mental battle but have a terrible headache! i'm just eating fruit and trying to avoid lighting up which has been successful. i've been dying to go out for walks but it's freezing here.. this is the longest i have gone without smoking and was wondering if anyone had any tips and/or suggestions?
0 Kudos
michele2

I have had insomnia with my quit too. And then I just have no energy during the day. It is getting better though.
0 Kudos
a.d.

Regina, water may help with the headache. I just have to be worn out to fall asleep, I have never been able to make it happen. I am proud of you for doing it! This is also the longest I have gone since I started.

Samantha, happy quit day!
0 Kudos
linda8

I am so glad to have found this group, I have been on Yes you can and it is great, but most of the people on here seem to be using some kind of nicotine replacement. i quit back when I was 20 cold turkey because that was the only way to do it back then, and I have chosen to do it that way this time also. Mostly because I want those little nicotine receptors in my brain to disappear as quickly as possible and if you use a nicotine replacement then the process just takes longer. I also have a chronic history of insomnia so I was thinking that the Chantix is probably not be a good idea for me. The first week of my quit I didn't even know I was quitting because I was to sick to smoke, so the most I had was maybe a half a cigarette a day. Then I realized I could do this. I haven't touched a cigarette since last Saturday, and every day is getting easier. As ben said my biggest trigger seems to be stress, I just sat down to do the bills and by the time I was done, I was really feeling the urge. instead here I am on this great web-site looking for support. Good luck to all of us.
0 Kudos
glen.haizlip

Day 8, cold turkey. It's the only way I could do it. 🙂
0 Kudos
linda8

Great job Glen. Keep up the good work.
0 Kudos
ellen5

Congratulations on Days 4, 5 and 8 and however many days you may have. I want to assure all of you that you will soon forget that you craved a cigarette. I am almost 3 months without smoking and the only time I think about smoking is when I get emails from this website. Quitting is REALLY important, so be sure you reward yourselves and REMEMBER how easy it is to slip back into it.
0 Kudos
a.d.

I am so glad to hear that you don't think about smoking! My thoughts are so much less now than they were last week, but I am already getting sick of thinking about it. Although I know I want to keep my reasons for quitting and my new knowledge ready in my mind, I'd rather not think about cigarettes ever again!
0 Kudos
michele2

Way to go all of you that have kept up your quit!
0 Kudos
linda8

Way to go to all of us, inclding you Michele, great going this weekend!
0 Kudos