cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Discuss different approaches to quitting, including medication

nancympearson

Cold Turkey Quitters

Ann, I didn't do the tracking. I just quit. I think they help but I wanted to quit when my courage allowed me to quit. If it feels right for you, do the tracking. It might get you to relax and get you used to quitting and it can take some of the fear away. It sure wouldn't hurt to do it. Stay close to this site and focus on the positive. Nancy

Labels (1)
0 Kudos
647 Replies
kiki2

WHat do you think is the difference between being bored, out of habit and craving?
0 Kudos
ann-king

Question - so did you all do the tracking papers? I'm doing those today - first day. Do they really help?
0 Kudos
Sylvia_Deitz

Yes, Grant...It really isn't that hard once you quit fighting it and make up your mind that you're going to master it no matter what. 2 weeks! That's terrific! You're doing a wonderful job of making this work! Congratulations!
0 Kudos
Sylvia_Deitz

Hi Ann and welcome to this group! I feel for you...having to go through quitting smoking, but we've all been there, done that and you can too! I didn't do any tracking. I guess because I wanted to hurry up and get quit. It sounds like you have emphysema which is what my diagnosis was, so I didn't want to wait. The disease progresses if you keep smoking. It does progress some if you do quit, but not near as fast. There's even a possibility of getting some better. That's why I walk hard and fast every day to get my lungs expanded and get oxygen into my body. A lot of people don't even know what emphysema is. They think cigarettes only cause lung and other forms of cancer, but emphysema is a progressive scarring of your lungs which makes you lose the elasticity in them, so they just don't work eventually and then you know the rest of the story. I don't mean to scare you, but this is a life and death matter. Either you quit and live or keep smoking and die an early, fighting to breathe death. I would recommend that you ask your doctor for a pulmonary function test. It will show you how much of your lungs still work. Believe me, the fear of dying will really help with your determination to be a non-smoker! I smoked for 51 years and if I could do it, anyone can if they really care about living. With this website and the Lord for my support, I made it and have remained smoke free for one year and almost 2 months.
0 Kudos
nancympearson

Ann, boredom , cravings and smoking out of habit are intertwined. Boredom, with time on my hands because I am retired, has been THE habit. The boredom leads to cravings I believe. I just know that if you keep yourself very busy when quit it really helps you get through hell week---the first week. Staying busy and staying on this computer saved me from needing to smoke. Listen to Ellen's answer that you are being driven by the addiction is so true. Once you make your mind up to quit and stay focused on the positive your fears will take care of themselves. Once you feel the confidence in yourself build, your fears will disappear. You can do this! Nancy
0 Kudos
nancympearson

0 Kudos
ellen5

Ann, everything you've said about how you are feeling is VERY normal and what we've all felt at one time or another. I quit probably a minimum of 20 times, at times for as long as 5 years and as short as a week. I've grieved the loss of my smoking habit and I've celebrated it at times. Nothing really seems to make sense while you are addicted. Once you get the nicotine out of your system you will be able to think more clearly. Right now everything you think and feel is driven by your addiction.
0 Kudos
lisa46

Hi, Lisa here I am on day 3 but I also am getting over pnemonia so I had no choice I couldnt smoke. So my last pack lasted me 5 days while I was sick and on Prednisone. Now I just have too stay away I havent had any in 3 days so.this is so hard I was just reading the post buy Ann King, she should really stop smoking I did it cold turkey once before and lasted for about 9 MOS.then I just wanted 1?????????????? Here I am again 8yrs later. I lost both parents too lung cancer my Mom couldnt even smoke her lovley cigarettes at the end neither could Dad and when I was just so sick and all I could do was cough and felt like my lungs were being squished in a vise, I thought this is probally what it feels like to have enfazema or lung cancer...I got really scared I couldnt even talk only whisper...Now I am bringing up phlem again, from the cig.well I am still weak and this is hard.. 1 thing I am lucky well not lucky but I am underweight I have stress related bilemia, So hopefully I will gain weight I put a little on from the prednisone, I weigh 98lbs and I am 5foot 7inches tall....well I am going to find some food.....Good Luck Everyone <3<3
0 Kudos
ann-king

I'm new to this group - well any group. I've been trying to set a date for a year. Sounds insane...but true. I'm starting my tracking sheet today. How long do you do this before you set a date? Is there a point in tracking that will help me? I guess I'm trying to get ahead of myself here but just curious. I have a mix of fear and depression with this. I can't say Im "happy" about the idea of quitting (I hope you don't need to be happy about it)....leaving my security blanket behind...but I need to. 40 years and it's time. I'm not sure what to expect and Im trying to find my way around this website. Thanks for being here!
0 Kudos
ann-king

Thank you so much Ellen. I do have a copy of Allen Carr's book, along with the CDs. I have listened to the CDs for around a year off and on but didn't read the book. I just looked at Joels bookon the whyquit website and wondered about printing that for myself. I don't care it's 200 pages. Is it a good one too?
  I'm wondering if it's just time to set a date and do this....then read read read to get through. I mean, do you have to have all this knowledge before you set the date? Me personally, and because Ive seen enough and Im so nervous anyway....when I see the scarey pictures or read more about the deaths...I get more nervous and actually smoke more. Sometimes listening and reading and not doing it for the last year just gets on my nerves too much. Does that make sense? Like Im tired of listening and reading so much and (as much as Im scared saying it outloud) it's time to "do" something along with the reading and listening. I've tried cutting down...and although I have cut from where I used to be...that doesn't always work.
  when I think of my last cig...finally doing this...I get teary eyed and my mind whirls. Even though I know it will be the very best thing for me. I mean, I'm sitting her writing now, a little misty eyed because I know I need to do this.
  I hope you all don't mind my openness about all this - I'm closer to setting the final day than Ive ever been and I believe it's going to be soon.
0 Kudos