cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Discuss different approaches to quitting, including medication

karina

Chantix works

ok so this is my 3rd time on Chantix. I have to say the first time I used Chantix I quit smoking for 8 months..I never wanted a cigarette at all. Then I started hanging out with people who smoked all the time and I relapsed. The second time I took Chantix I really half assed it, and I stopped smoking for 2 weeks. This time I am determined to quit. I always get sick on the blue morning and night pills. I find that if I just take the morning pill and skip the night one I am fine. I don't have any weird dreams and I don't have any bad side effects this time. This really is a miracle drug for me because without it I wouldn't have been able to quit smoking. I have been smoke free since 05-01-08.
Labels (1)
Tags (1)
13 Replies

Cindy,
This is how i take my chantix. My pulmonolgist said that women seem to have a harder time with nausea with the whole mg pill twice a day. I started out with .5mg 2 times a day, then at about 2 weeks i decreased it to .5mg once a day in the morning.. but only because i kept forgetting to take the evening pill anyways. And i have been 46 days with out a cigarette. Crystal
0 Kudos
cindy16

I thought the directions said .5 mg for 3 days in the evening and then .5 mg twice a day for a week/ Then 1 mg twice a day?
I was thinking doing the .5 mg for 3 days in the evening. Then .5 mg twice a day and never increasing to the 1 mg unless I need too. If I need to I will have the .5 mg in the morn and 1 mg in the evening. I do not want to feel sick at work. I took before and screwed up my quit. But it made me very ill. My stomach hurt and I thought I was going to get sick all day from the morning one. How long after you started chantix did you quit?
Cindy
0 Kudos

I started on .5mg one time a day in the morning. I did that for 3 days. I quit one week after beginning the chantix. I also checked out my quit day in the farmers almanac. It actually tells you days to quit smoking in there based on the moon. I believe in that sort of stuff. And a girl at work quit with the almanac and chantix and she has been doing great also. I think it would be fine to do .5 in the morning and even .5 in the evening. like i said i even stopped taking the second pill in a day after 2 weeks. I also had been smoking for 16 years.....and i had never quit for more than 2 weeks. So, this pill is definitely a miracle pill for me. My doctor said that most women have nausea when they try to take the whole mg.......
0 Kudos
hope111

I started my quit and went the first 5 days without Chantix. - Total grouch, mean, s.o.b.  Went to the doc for Chantix and she explained to me that it was all about the dopamine and how I didn't produce it because nicotine was doing that trick for me for the last 30 years or so.  Okay fine , whatever .   Started the Chantix with a few side effects and am doing okay by day 62. Just saying what the doc said but not an expert.  Look forward to getting off the Chantix but know I need some time behind me first.