cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Discuss different approaches to quitting, including medication

lois2

Chantix-ers

Jennifer, you go girl, be tuff, tell the nic-demon to go to hello, i did a lot of self talk,glad to here Chrissy, Spunkie are feeling better,hugs
Labels (1)
Tags (1)
0 Kudos
618 Replies
daisy3

Hi, my doctor prescribed Chantix after a bad bout of bronchitis and said that it is the only thing that works in his opinion.  BUT, I am not a fan of taking pills and am really afraid of the side-effects.  I am allergic to everything and am afraid of a bad reaction.  I have a great deal of anxiety about this, but moreso about being successful to quit.  Perhaps it's not for me?

-Daisy

0 Kudos
lois2

Daisy you can try the gum, patch, loz, they work for me, than i al ways go back to smoking, chantix is great, i quit for 6 mons. on it, i smoke now i got to start over. good luck

0 Kudos
katiebugg

I have been taking chantix for 2 weeks now and have had not side effects except for a bit of nausea the 1st day. I also started another medication that day so who knows. I have had nausea a couple of other times, but it is not the most unusual thing for me either to go through bouts of nausea. I have been remembering my dreams more vividly latley but I wouldnt say they are "crazy" and definitly no nightmares.

I was going to say to Daisy, its great that you are questioning and aware what medications can do to you. If you are too apprehensive about it talk to your doctor. They can help you. I too normally get alot of side effects from medication and this one is pretty successful for me. I had read many things online about the side effects. The funny thing is most of what I read was bad, however I have talked to people personally who used it and did not hear the same kinds of things I read online. The point is everyone who takes medication had a unique experience in some way. The only way you will know is try. If it has adverse effects, you can always stop taking it with the advice of your doctor. If you want to talk to someone who is taking it I will be glad to chat with you about it.

0 Kudos
lois2

good luck kitiebugg on your quit, i quit on chantix 6 mons. ago.

0 Kudos
patrick-marsh

hi every one im patrick 54 yre old been smokeing from about 12 on quit a alot of times. in 2000 doc said i had copd and heart dis about 57%lungs left. quit for 6mo on the pach but back to it then did 8mo off with chantix put talked ayself back into it. but on nov 30th doc put me on oxgen at night! so back on chantix and zolft no somke for 31 days now! put my junkie mind keeps trying thanks

0 Kudos
charliej

Patrick......... ok, that makes my shortness of breath on Tioga pretty meaningless.  I am fortunate that I haven't permanently damaged myself.......

0 Kudos
lois2

stay smoke free and healthy, good luck

0 Kudos

Yeah-- so, Chantix. I can only take 1mg v.s. the 2mg I should be taking right now because I start to experience wicked insomnia. Has anyone else experienced this as well?

0 Kudos
lois2

i did good on chantix quit for 6 m0ns. i went back to smoking 9 days a go. don't know why. my weight gain i think, going to quit again. cool turkey, if i can't i will go back to chantix, good luck

0 Kudos
Rick_M

Sorry to hear that Lois. It is tough to quit but I know you will do it again.

0 Kudos