cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Discuss different approaches to quitting, including medication

Anite

BRAIN FOG AFTER QUITING

Since I quit smoking I feel like my brain has stopped working.  It feels foggy the whole time.  I googled and it might take months to clear. Does anyone else have these symptoms and/or advise?  I am working full time and I need my brain.

I also have the weirdest, busy dreams at night but I cant remember a thing. But I wake up tired.

Any help will be welcome.

Labels (1)
29 Replies
Anite

I am a cold turkey quitter.  The brain fog is getting better but I still battle to remember certain things,  I am now in week three.  All can say is WHY OH WHY did I ever start smoking!!!!

maryfreecig

Yeah for three weeks. Keep up the good work. 

KMC56

Oh...I so remember brain fog...scared the bajeezies out of me.  I don't think I read anything that prepared me for that one!  I also quit drinking coffee and diet soda about a month prior to quitting smoking, only because my body was ill after consumption. Seemed that anything that ended with 'tine'..was not agreeing with me.  That withdraw symtom probably increased the length of time of brain fog!  ( just started a new bookkeeping position in this foggy state).

Have not returned to either caffine, aspartame  or nicotine!

Thankfully, it passed and amazingly the concentration level improved!

You'll get through this as we all have, and you'll be amazed at the improvement of your brain power!

~Kathy 516 DOF.

Something that can help you with brain fog symptoms is to eat 7-8 mini-meals a day. Brain fog can be caused by unstable blood sugar which is why some folks overeat when they quit smoking. But if you don't allow yourself to get hungry you can eat a healthy diet of lean meats, fruit and veggies, whole grains, etc... without diving into that bag of M&Ms. Ladies should eat every 3 hours - for example, an apple with peanut butter or some grapes with a slice of cheese. Then when lunch hour happens you won't eat everything you can get your hands on!

The dreams are actually beneficial but if they are disturbing your restfulness you can learn to meditate and go through a muscle relaxation before you sleep and you will find that your rest is becoming restored.

Oh, I just realized Lori just said this! Oops!

Well, I still eat this way because it maintains a good metabolism and gives us more energy throughout the day and for me, with COPD, it's easier to prepare and eat mini-meals than to cook up a banquet!

Anite

Thank you.  Good ideas.  I was on the brink of being diagnosed with COPD that I am sure of.  So far I am still suffering cravings day and night.  If it can just go away.  I cannot smoke again.  Never.

elvan

Anite‌ It can and it WILL go away...it takes time and there is no set limit...just keep adding the days and one day you will be really surprised to realize that you got through an entire day without even thinking of smoking.  It's stunning when it happens the first time and then it happens more and more often, maybe not every day for a while but it happens.  Once you know that it CAN happen, you will feel so much stronger.  You are doing a great job.

Ellen

Anite

Thanks.  Toay I have not yet craved any.  But now I eat more??

elvan

Anite‌ It will pass...the food replacement will pass...if you are worried about weight...DON'T, not now, it's too early.  You can try to keep healthy, low calorie snacks around OR you can keep in mind that carting around an extra 8-10 lbs that you can always lose later is a whole lot better than dragging an oxygen tank around behind you for the rest of your life.

Ellen

Anite

To think about dragging an oxygen tank is enough to give me nightmares.  Thanks for reminding me about that fact!!! NOPE

elvan

Anite‌ Someone used that visual for me early in my quit and I was completely horrified as well.