cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Discuss different approaches to quitting, including medication

gehen2018

Allen Carr’s Easy Way

i dont know I listened to these books a thousand times but I didn’t quit. Anyone else have the same problem?  

What is wrong with me?  I am still smoking and I hate myself. 

Labels (1)
0 Kudos
26 Replies
gehen2018

It is just a word. Lol. That was my point. I was like whoa I don’t need to

be pounced on by so many people yikes!! Its all good. I don’t take it

personally from anyone and don’t really want to join a community that is

arguing with each other. And my email inbox blew up w so much craziness.

It’s all good. Thanks to the people who say stay here. Etc. you are so

sweet. To those who are nasty and mean you have a right to voice your

comments too. It’s fine. No one needs to be corrected is my point or

educated on how not to feel. It is what it is. Sending peace vibes your

way XXOO I am 47 ;).

On Fri, Aug 30, 2019 at 12:23 PM sweetplt <communityadmin@becomeanex.org>

JACKIE1-25-15

Sometimes we have to listen.To what is said and what we are saying. 

green1611

Come on.....it is not the end of the world.

You will have to love yourself first....sure you are. The body is yours, and you need to love it too. Your brain has wrong software sitting in due to many years nicotine dependability. Therefore you hate the wrong things. You need to hate your brains constant signalling for nicotine.  That is doable by various methods ..some are in Alan Carr book.

Find most suitable way for your quit, stick to it, your way you have to find out......

you would get advises from this group, which are sensible and worth trying.

All the best!

maryfreecig

Ex is here for you 365. In addition to that have you checked your local hospital for quit programs? Their may be other resources near where you live. Having contact with others who get how hard it is to quit can ease some of the feelings. 

Nicotine addiction is something you get over one day at a time. It's not likely that your teens will understand this at all. So, bringing your frustration here might be of help to you at the start of your quit. 

Once you quit---then gaining confidence in yourself comes day by day, one achievement at a time. You are stronger than you think. Stick with Ex, keep learning, keep sharing.

/blogs/Youngatheart.7.4.12-blog/2019/08/05/give-this-the-time-it-takes 

https://excommunity.becomeanex.org/groups/newbie-quitters/blog/2019/01/27/one-of-the-greatest-tools-... 

Quitting Cigarettes Journal  My story

Quitting Smoking is a Journey - YouTube 

Roark

gehen2018‌ - I read his book twice and appreciated the point he was making, but his approach proved a little beyond what I could reach right now.  Turning on cigarettes on a dime and going from smoking and desiring them (the addiction at it's worst) to hating them and everything they represent (Alan Carr's way of walking away "easy") is a great mind over matter trick.

I don't doubt he pulled it off.  In the book he talks about smoking 100 cigarettes a day.  If I had been smoking 100 a day I bet I could have mustered up a bit more hatred for them, but I wasn't.

Don't get me wrong - I think his approach is right.  You have to get to a point where you hate smoking and the cigarettes but for me it isn't happening overnight.  I still struggle and have to keep forcing myself to embrace the right way of thinking about quitting.  It's work and it damn sure isn't easy.  But that's ok.

The biggest piece of advice I can give you is to stop looking for ways to bash on yourself.  I felt a little bad about not being able to embrace Alan's approach to quitting because I wanted it to be easy too.  But I couldn't and that's ok.  I'll do this the hard way.  But what I won't do it turn on myself, heap on the guilt and doubt and drive myself back to buying a pack in despair and hopelessness.  F that noise.

Alan had an easy way to quit smoking and I'm glad for him.  My way is harder and that's ok.  Yours will be different and that's cool as well.  As long as you and I don't fire up again we win and whatever way we use to get there is right.

And then we can write a book.

Mandolinrain

Very good attitude.  Love it. We all can learn from each other and what works for me may not work for someone else, but we all can remain approachable to let others in, to see what helped us. its the pieces of ALL of our quits can make  a difference for one person and thats awesome.

Carrs book was very helpful for me, so I do share that....and if it helps another person, cool. If not.....we have plenty of others on this site it has helped and plenty it had not....bottom line still resinates with me is: take what you need ( what actually helps) and leave the rest. There are more ways than Carrs way to stop smoking.

Katystuckel

I Can't quit smoking while I am smoking. At least that's is what I have learned. 

Best of luck.