cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Discuss different approaches to quitting, including medication

gehen2018

Allen Carr’s Easy Way

i dont know I listened to these books a thousand times but I didn’t quit. Anyone else have the same problem?  

What is wrong with me?  I am still smoking and I hate myself. 

Labels (1)
0 Kudos
26 Replies
JACKIE1-25-15

Welcome back  and thanks for your question.  There is no book, pill, NRT that can make you quit smoking. I believe the title of the book is misleading.  My opinion, the title should be  Easier instead of Easy. What may help one person may not help another?  It helped me but quitting smoking comes from the inside with the determination and perseverance to never touch another cigarette ever and putting in the work required to do just that.   The books, etc. are just tools to help assist and give a better insight into nicotine addiction.  It takes HARD work and the commitment to never take another puff.   Quitting is doable.  Many of us have. You can also if you are willing to let go of the crutch and take the walk of faith and believe that you can. It is a wonderful journey if you just take the first step. NOPE.  Start here  My EX Plan | BecomeAnEX 

gehen2018

What do I do if my husband smokes. And I work from home. And I have 2

teenage girls that are 14 and 16 and so moody and miserable. ? How can I

quit despite this. ????

On Thu, Aug 29, 2019 at 10:13 AM JACKIE1-25-15 <

JACKIE1-25-15

Fortunately, I lived alone when I first quit smoking but others here have lived with smokers andhave been successful.  Here are a few reference blogs on the topic.  Please read the blog and the comments they both may be helpful. https://excommunity.becomeanex.org/community/expert-advice/blog/2017/06/21/quitting-when-you-live-wi... and /blogs/Mandolinrain-blog/2018/09/21/dealing-with-mate-friends-that-still-smoke .  If you would like to research the topic in more depth just click on the magnifying glass and do a keyword search, which is another way to educate yourself and have a distraction at the same time. 

sweetplt

Hi and Welcome to Ex’s...gehen2018 

Please no negative talk...Hate is a strong word...it’s not one thing that helps us quit...it is the preparation, knowledge and hard work that helps one quit...I strongly suggest you read and prepare for your quit at My EX Plan | BecomeAnEX 

You need to start thinking about what you will do in place of smoking...we have a great list ... and I am sure you can add to it.../blogs/Maggie_quit_8-1-2010-blog/2012/03/19/100-things-to-do-instead-of-smoking?sr=search&searchId=d... Also, keep at the support site to encourage others and to get support...it is not one thing that helps us quit...but using negative words will not help you...so turn it around to “I like me and I am worth the quit”...now get working...~ Colleen 269 DOF 

67oldbabe

Stop being so mean to Newbies. You want everyone to quit in your image - allow people to feel and make their comments. You already tried to shut me down - didn’t work - i’m Still here - still not smoking.

sweetplt

Please no harassment necessary 67oldbabe I am and was not mean to any Newbies...I have been here almost a year helping many at this site, if you don’t like it or me...leave me alone...Please donot bully me...

Mandolinrain

Great advise you got above. The thing is, everyones different. Although we all are addicts to Nicotine, we all have different 'stressors' and 'limits' we can personally manage with our quits. Thats how I see it anyway. That book was exactly what I needed....but its not for everyone. and thats okay. We just share what works for each of us.

I would also suggest a quit journal. Keeping track of your emotions and what's going on when the craves come and then list things you can do to replace the crave. I dis this also and it was helpful, along with walking alot, jumping on my mini tramp, drinking water and doing artwork or knitting...cleaning our every cupboards and drawer and closet in the house, kitchen cabs,,,,you name it. Anything to keep my hands busy and drinking water all day longs as I did all of this.

Don't be so hard on yourself. Hate the addiction....not you. Don't allow the 'addiction' to have the control anymore and keep you in a defeated mood. Your here now, and we will help support you if you let us, okay?

One day at a time. You can do this.

Barbscloud

Welcome.   I found some of the book helpful, but don't feel it led to my quit.  I don't agree with his  premise that it's easy.  He has a whole slew of books that everything is easy.  Do what's been suggested.  Educating yourself about addiction and preparing are the key to success.  Don't expect a book to do the work for you.  As everyone has said, there is no reason to hate yourself. That's self-defeating and probably detrimental to your success.  Stay close to the site and reach out if you need help.  We're here for you.

Barb

gehen2018

Ok got the whole hate myself message. Geez. I thought I was able to talk

openly and honestly and I was a just a word used to state what I was

feeling at the time. And why I don’t reach out ever. Don’t need to be

lectured on a word. Which seems to be the focus here. It’s fine. I tried to

reach out. Will go elsewhere to find support.

Thank you for take the time to respond. But Focusing on a word and telling

me I shouldn’t feel a certain way and why isn’t helpful. It is what it is.

On Fri, Aug 30, 2019 at 8:29 AM Barbscloud <communityadmin@becomeanex.org>