cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Discuss different approaches to quitting, including medication

gehen2018

Allen Carr’s Easy Way

i dont know I listened to these books a thousand times but I didn’t quit. Anyone else have the same problem?  

What is wrong with me?  I am still smoking and I hate myself. 

Labels (1)
0 Kudos
26 Replies
JACKIE1-25-15

Sorry if you felt that the focus was not in the right place and you were offended.  Please do not leave.  You know that saying everyone has an opinion.  Around here we agree to disagree (most of the time)lol.  Take what you find is useful and leave the rest because if you don't your focus can become misguided.  I would like for you to give this site an opportunity to help you. It has been a way to quit that I never could achieve alone.  That is what you came for right?  My motto in life is don't sweat the small stuff. Make quitting your priority.   All I ask is that you have an open mind and give the EX community a chance.  Remember to keep the main thing the main thing.  Gosh, I am doing a lot here.  I just want you to stay give us a chance. You will be glad that you did.

gehen2018

Ok will do. It’s so hard.

On Fri, Aug 30, 2019 at 11:59 AM JACKIE1-25-15 <

JACKIE1-25-15

I understand.  It is hard but it is also DOABLE.  Remember that word. DOABLE  Where do we start? Some say set a date.  I say "educate".  Here is another site that I suggest that you surf.  www.whyquit.com  There are several easy to read articles that puts Allen Carr the Easy Way to Quitting to Shame. (my opinion) I read both.  Nicotine Addiction 101 and Freedom from Nicotine - The Journey Home: free PDF version  Also watch a few videos while you are there if you haven't.  This site does not agree with NRT's but has a wealth of other information How to quit smoking - Joel's Stop Smoking Videos .  Let me know what you think. STAY CLOSE. 

67oldbabe

Hi - I am a Newbie to this quit thing too. Have just reached day 11 by the skin of my teeth - literally hanging on by a thread.

These X Babes tried to lecture me in the beginning too and I was really pissed. I was trying to “just make comments” and the shut me down real fast. Wasn’t fun - felt like I was 5 years old.  

So, I backed off and made no more comments. But what I did do was read every blog and every “latest comment” and I learned and ultimately it kept me going.

when someone new comes on board the Xers always say the same stuff - it is redundant but all true.

eventually you will bypass the generic comments and take away the info that will help you.

i quit Cold Turkey and it is tough. Stick with this site - ignore the babes that treat you like you are 5 and just read everything that comes across this site daily and all the trending subjects.

you will get through this. By the skin of your teeth! I will help you.

Mandolinrain

Wow......you're pretty upset.  Thats alot of anger you are projecting. You do realize that the 'Babes' do not have to spend time on this site reaching out to help others on their free time?  Many have children-grandchildren-or even elderly they care for....many are working 'Babes', that have active busy NON SMOKING lives and are here to help others obtain the same. We ALL have different backgrounds and while not everyone relates to each of our stories, someone will. Name calling sickens me. It is immature and not necessary. Just agree to disagree or move on.

I am sorry you feel the 'X BABES' treated you like a baby, although I am certain it was not their intent. Yes, we happen to repeat ourselves often because we have successful quits and want others to achieve this freedom we have as well. Take what you need and leave the rest.

You should be thankful for these folks because they ARE the site and without them, there would not be the successful community we have all come to be a part of. You are out of line.

Barbscloud

The reason it sounds like comments are repeated is because when someone is new, they've never heard before.  Did that ever occur to you?   Probably not, because you're too self-centered to think about anyone else.   No one ever tried to shut you down.  You came on this site being rude and insulting.  You've got a real problem and actually act like a 5 year old.   Other members can do what they want.  Personally, I will not waste any more time being insulted by you.

Wishing you success on your quit.

Barb

Barbscloud

Yes, it is hard.  We we're trying to make it easier for you by not hating yourself.  That's your choice.

Barb

marciem

gehen2018 wrote:

reach out. Will go elsewhere to find support.

Thank you for take the time to respond. But Focusing on a word and telling

me I shouldn’t feel a certain way and why isn’t helpful. it is what it is. 

On Fri, Aug 30, 2019 at 8:29 AM Barbscloud <communityadmin@becomeanex.org>

I hope you will stay.  

One of the things I've learned on my journey to being a nonsmoker is that... no it is not "it is what it is"...  Instead, it is what you MAKE it.  Our thoughts and words and self talk are very instrumental in our attitude.  Attitude, especially an "I can do this" attitude, go a long way to a successful quit.  I think that's what folks were trying to address.  Using shorthand, not spelling things out.  Hate the addiction not the addicted one (i.e. yourself).   Love yourself.  Be excited about the arduous journey you are undertaking.

Of course you are free, even encouraged, to speak out about your thoughts and feelings and some of them guaranteed will NOT be nice in the early part of quitting.    Our responses are not to castigate you for expressing them, but to try to help you change your way of thinking to one that will pave the road to a healthier quit.

It does start out very difficult.  It gets easier.  It honestly does.

Henry Ford said :  Whether you think you can, or think you can't... you're right.

Let your thinking be your stronghold not your downfall.

Barbscloud

Good luck with your quit.   If you consider support a lecture, your problem.

sweetplt

Whoa gehen2018 take a deep breath and count backwards from 10...only reason we focused on the “word hate” ... was due to us seeing so many quitters and the more negative they are about themselves the less success...honestly, you can be very honest and if you want to hate yourself, you are welcome to do it...our whole focus is to help people quit...so please don’t go...if quitting is your focus, we will keep to that journey with you...if you feel you must go...I do hope you find the support so you do quit smoking....~ Colleen 270 DOF