cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Maki

How well do you know your dog ?

Surprising Answers for 15 Questions About Your Dog | Mental Floss 

Came across this . Hope it's ok just to share the link and source . I found it interesting . 

Does your  dog or pet have a special way of telling you things ?  What tricks and or commands have you taught your pet . 

Tags (1)
3 Replies
sweetplt

Hahaha I loved reading this article...explains a lot about my spoiled dog named Peanut...

Barbscloud

Thanks. Always enjoy articles about dogs.  I liked the last one about you're dog not feeling guilty, but are actually faking it.

Barb

minihorses

I don't have dogs anymore but a lot of the article can apply to cats as well. 

- Cats moms lick them as a way of grooming them, but also to show affection. Cats lick you as a way of showing their own affection.

- Cats can smell 14 times more than humans

- Cats do get jealous. It's not uncommon for a feline to feel territorial. The predominant feeling for many cats is “MINE!” 

- Cats do sniff each others butts because it is the feline equivalent of “hello, how do you do?”

- Cats butt presentations in our face are, in reality, a complimentary show of love - likening it to "a human's enthusiastic hug or a kiss on each cheek in greeting." Cats raise their tails as a sign of friendliness and trust, granting full access to all of the intimate, olfactory details about them found in their scent. Turning around makes that invitation even clearer.

- Cats can scratch or bite during a nice petting session. Many owners mistake this as a sign that their cat does not like them or their affections. Cats may bite during one of these sessions for several reasons: most often because they are overstimulated and have simply had enough, fear or redirected aggression or they don’t feel well. It does not mean they don't like you or they are being mean.  They're just done with the touchy-feely time.

Many people think cats are untrainable.  I can say for certain that is totally wrong.  I've been training my cats for years and have also found that they can be trained to react to the different methods used by each human for the same task.  Perfect example is my cats' at feeding time.  My oldest son puts in the dry food, puts in the wet food, turns around and wash out the wet food cans without any one getting up on the counter to stuff their face. Then he claps and says "Places and Sit", they sit and then he gives them their bowls. My youngest son puts the food in the bowls, grabs them, turns around and and tells them to sit.  After 30 seconds of messing around and a couple more "sit"s they settle down and the bowls go on the floor.  I put the food in the bowls, grab them to get ready to put them down and then go absolutely quiet.  I don't say one single word.  It may take a few seconds but then the sit quietly at which time I tell them "Good sits, good boys" and the bowls go down.  My husband on the other hand can't get them organized at all and is too busy laughing to be effective. 

I also have one cat that I have trained to get whatever toy they want to play fetch or even catch. Fetch is I throw the toy, he gets it and brings it back. Catch is I throw the toy, he catches it in the air and 'throws' it back to me (or at least in my general direction).

Right now I have three laptops on me, two being felines, so the electric cat named laptop must be put aside.