cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Mandolinrain

I am SO going to make this my new adventure

To me there is something romantic about the Cello. I have always wished to know how to play one and made the decision it will be my new adventure for 2019.

I love ...no... I adore music.

I started with flute and piccolo and then tenor sax. Piano, self taught ..not that great but enough to get by.

Guitar at age 17..then came Mandolin .... ( only because I came across my  grandfathers Mandolin)  Tenor Banjo, because its a no brainer,...fingering the same as my Mando....( Did I mention I am a big folk music/bluegrass fan)? I bought a fiddle a few years ago due to fingering much like Mandolin...but never got stuck to it . I also have a dulcimer I mess with sometimes.

Dunno why. But CELLO...oh I have always admired it...its sound. SO once I am done with the currant health issue, I am off to buy a  used Cello and will begin practicing. There something so romantic about it...soul searching resinating  from it, It Echoes and I LOVE it.

Flute and Mandolin will always be my first love.

How about you ?

Do you play an instrument? What one and if you don't...what one would you wish you played ? Its' never to late to learn.

Tags (1)
31 Replies

the more you read music, the better you get at it.

I used to write out all my own music for copyrights,  and I could sight sing fairly well but I was more of a singer/guitarist  and didn't feel it served me so, I didn't use notation frequently.  I do know all the chords and their inversions on the guitar. I think knowing those different voicings up and down the guitar neck was my strongest suit to compliment my voice.

Mandolinrain

For me it was scales. When I played flute I learned so many scales and once I knew them all by memory I could improvise with the flute to anything. t has been what I am using to get better on the Mandolin. But practicing everyday with flute was what made me good. I was in symphony years ago with it. 

0 Kudos
freeneasy

I started to play the cello in the 4th grade and got pretty good at it and played in orchestras and summer stock shows.  I went into the Navy after high school and never played it again. I sort of regret that. I still have it though. I've been fooling around with the guitar on and off since high school. I've been playing pretty steadily for about  3 years and plan in an ensemble with about 10 other people. It's my main hobby now.

I think it's great Jim. Fantastic.

I had a friend I played with but he plays 4-5 hours daily M-F at the emergency room and he's too worn out by the weekends so we haven't played in a long time.

The cello would would great with your group. I think the key to really enjoying music is to be able to sit down with a bunch of strangers and create something. Improvisation.

freeneasy

The ensemble has an instructor and he arranges music he selects into 3 or 4 parts. Once in a while, we do some improvisation and it's fun.I'd like to play along with some experienced players like yourself

It's always a powerful learning experience when you can play with people who are better than you. 

When I was recording, I worked with a metronome.

Recording yourself is like wood shedding because of the retakes and what you are reaching for before you are content.

You might have fun with a little multitrack recorder. One where you can record yourself and then play against what you've recorded.

freeneasy

I took a private lesson for nearly 2 years and the teacher would have us pick out a Christmas song and he would record it the melody and then the chords and make a CD. That' was pretty cool. He could even edit out minor mistakes  That was a real learning experience. I had to stop because I'm not driving now but if and when my vision improves I'll do it again. 

Mandolinrain

I just love the sound of the Cello...you should duet it off and play it!!! My worst part will be the bowing I think. But I am excited to learn