cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Is FEAR holding you back?

NDC_Team
Mayo Clinic
8 32 1,157

52127iFACBD0013FF2E215FEAR - such a simple four-letter word; but oh, so powerful! It is powerful because it is often the one thing that holds us back from trying for and reaching our goals.  And so, we remain “stuck” in our current situation. Fear can be the most common reason people procrastinate or fail to act on their goals, such as stopping tobacco use. Reasons people may fear quitting can range from failure or rejection to angering or disappointing other people.

And so how do we typically respond then when fear plays a role? We play it safe and just avoid making that quit attempt…

So, just where does this fear come from? The truth is… it comes from within yourself. It is common to scare yourself by imagining the worst possible scenario when attempting to quit tobacco. However, remember, even if we imagine a poor outcome, it does not mean that it will happen, or even that the experience will be as painful as we might think.

But just how do we overcome our fear? So, since we are the source of our fear, we also hold the power to overcome it. Instead of allowing ourselves to become paralyzed in our fear, we can take control by changing our thoughts from negative to positive.

Consider the following fear-based statement:

I want to stop tobacco; however, I scare myself by imagining that I will fail, and my family will be disappointed in me.

And now consider this one:

I want to stop tobacco; and I know that I can do it by using all the tools available to me and leaning on my support people for help.

The first statement was fear-based. However, when we transform the statement, as in the second example, it becomes a powerful vision that gets you motivated and helps you see a successful outcome. Being able to visualize your success gives you the desire and hope for change.

Now, the next time you have those annoying self-defeating thoughts, try replacing them with more positive ones. Positive, affirming statements can help you create a more successful mindset. And if you state these affirmations as if you have already achieved your goal, you can really envision what your tobacco free future could look like.

Such statements of affirmation as, “I am so happy to be tobacco free and my family is so proud that I have quit” can motivate you toward success and help you achieve that reality.

Now, the next time you feel “stuck,” remember that it is driven by fear; so, take a leap of faith and try to make that quit attempt anyway. Do not allow the opportunity to become tobacco free pass you by.

What fear-based thoughts are holding you back from making that quit attempt? And how might you transform those thoughts into more positive statements?

Heather Kraling-Coons, MA
NDC Counselor/CTTS

Photo by M.T ElGassier

Tags (2)
32 Comments
About the Author
The Nicotine Dependence Center at Mayo Clinic has been home to physicians, nurse practitioners, Master’s / PhD level counselors, trained TTS’, and amazing office staff for a total of 30 years, all working together to treat individuals who struggle with tobacco use. Counselors meet with an individual to develop their own personalized plan, discuss coping strategies, and provide ongoing support along the journey towards a tobacco-free life. As part of the process, counselors work with physicians and nurse practitioners to provide nicotine replacements and other medications for smoking cessation as needed. We are happy to be involved with the EX Community and we hope our experiences and expertise can help in your journey towards a tobacco-free life. View the link in our signature to see our individual Biographies.