cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Connect with others living with health conditions

surviver

cancer surviver

I found out today I am cancer free ya. I decided that this would be a great time to quit smoking. I have wanted to quit sooner, but dealing with surgery etc, I just could not pull it off. This is my first time trying a group to help me. So I hope this works,because I really want to quit. Thanks for listening.

Labels (1)
0 Kudos
9 Replies
YoungAtHeart

Congratulations on your news!  Now is th PERFECT time to quit smoking!!!

The most important thing you can do to start is to educate yourself on what nicotine does to your mind and body. To that end, I highly recommend Allen Carr's “The Easy Way to Stop Smoking.” This is an easy and entertaining read. Here is a link to a free PDF version of it:

http://media.wix.com/ugd/74fa87_2010cc5496521431188f905b7234a829.pdf

As well, read the sections on this site, do the tracking and separation exercises, and read the blogs, responses and pages of folks you think might be helpful. You might also want to visit quitsmokingonline.com, and whyquit.com.

After you have completed the readings, it will be time to make your quit plan, including what quit aid , if any, you will use, and the crave busters you think will work for you. Then you can approach your quit day with a plan in place.  

Stay close to us and ask questions as you have them and for support when you need it.  We will be with you every step of the way!

Nancy

0 Kudos
joyeuxencore

Welcome!

Congratulations on the best decision you could possibly make for yourself and your loved ones…

It takes the mindset that we aren't giving up anything...we are doing it because we want to and not signing up for a lifetime of deprivation but a lifetime of freedom...that is the personal journey no one can take for us...We will be here for you every step of the way! xo

"YOU are worth SO MUCH MORE than a cigarette" xo

http://quitsmokingonline.com/

A good read to understand nicotine addiction:

http://whyquit.com/whyquit/LinksAAddiction.html  

0 Kudos
linda258

You can do this!  I am young in this journey....join us. 

0 Kudos
GreenThumb3

That's such great news welcom to the site I have 4 days smoke free I have been on the blogs here for 4 days minus a little sleep and work I have quit too many times this is my longest run in years and it has not been as painful as past attempts lots of support on here and good advice 

0 Kudos
new-journey

That is such great news...yay!  I'm new "again" on this site, but ready to quit the right way this time and educate myself first so I'm prepared as opposed to quitting and then trying to educate myself.  The way I was trying to quit the last few times didn't work, so figured it was time to do this the right way and listen to all the EXers who have done it.  Congrats again on being cancer free and making the choose to become healthy without those cigarettes.  If you can fight and beat cancer, this will be easy for you.

0 Kudos
Strudel

Great to hear that you are cancer free! Congrats on your wonderful decision to quit! You have come to the right place! Please check out the reading listed above - then stick around here! You can do this! 

0 Kudos
danni2

Congratulations! That is wonderful news. (Both topics) Welcome!

0 Kudos
surviver

Thanks to everyone for your comments. I don't feel so alone on my quest. I hope I can be of help to others as I go threw this .

0 Kudos
surviver

Hello everyone, I have been reading all the information everyone has sent me. It is helpful and some is confusing. But I figure I can do this. It will not be easy but having cancer was not easy either. Thanks to everyone for your support I feel blessed to have found this site. All of you who sent art work I am blown away with how pretty it is. I love roses so that is one of my favorites.

0 Kudos