cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Connect with others living with health conditions

Working with COPD

As many of you know I am a Care Provider in an Assisted Living Facility. That is a very challenging job both physically and emotionally but it has taught me a lot about geriatric disease. Part of my job is medical administration which teaches me also about medical treatments for various illnesses. From older folks I get a clear picture of what adjustment to physical disability is and how to go about it. So I find my job both rewarding and satisfying in many ways. 

You know that saying, "You can't teach an old dog new tricks?" Well, I couldn't disagree more! Adjusting to facility living challenges every single thing you're used to from cooking your own meals (that you pick and that you like) to making your own bed, and especially privacy - imagine people of all types walking in on you in the bathroom!

Living with COPD is a huge adjustment as well - it's just a bit more gradual. You have to little by little give up the things you're used to doing for yourself and accept help. That's tough on us but it's also tough on the people around us who just want to help! We often pretend that nothing is wrong but they know! 

Here is an article about workplace burden that reflects that we just can't do what we want to at work either:

COPD Symptom Burden Linked to Work Impairment, Increased Utilization 

We do the best we can but we often have to shift from work of choice to another type of work. After this last round of pneumonia I have moved out of Care Provider and into Housekeeping. It's more physical but a lot less stressful and I just can't handle the stress much more. I thought I could keep my toe in the door so to speak doing CP once a week but now I realize that it's all part of accepting where I'm at and what I can do at this stage. 

Adjustment, Adjustment, Adjustment!

Life marches on!

Serenity Prayer

- Reinhold Niebuhr (1892-1971)
God grant me the serenity
to accept the things I cannot change;
courage to change the things I can;
and wisdom to know the difference.

Living one day at a time;
enjoying one moment at a time;
accepting hardships as the pathway to peace;
taking, as He did, this sinful world
as it is, not as I would have it;
trusting that He will make all things right
if I surrender to His Will;
that I may be reasonably happy in this life
and supremely happy with Him
forever in the next.
Amen.

May God Bless each of us as we walk the path of Life we've been given!

Labels (1)
Tags (3)
9 Replies

In case you haven't taken it, here is the COPD Assessment Test:

COPD Assessment Test 

0 Kudos
c2q

This COPD Assessment Test is very useful. Six years ago when I still smoked, I would have rated a 4 or 5 in every single question on the test. Now I am completely at the other end of the spectrum. COPD takes your life, breath by breath. 

Thanks, Thomas, for the information, and for the example you set in living with COPD.

0 Kudos

We're all just muddling through the best we can but we don't have to give up hope or happiness when we deal with COPD! I believe that knowledge is Power and we need all of the Power we can resource!

elvan

PLEASE be careful with the more physical challenges, Thomas.  I push through and do more than I know I should both at work and at home, I KNOW that I pay for it dearly, both with fatigue and, in my case, pain that is unbearable.  You might be better off helping in PLANNING patient care because you can see their needs from a unique perspective as a care taker and as someone who has a chronic illness.  

I'm monitoring that and do respect your feedback elvan!  Actually my PulseOx numbers have gone up since the beginning of the Year. I like the activity and come home tired but not wiped out like I did before. I think it's because my COPD is more bronchitis and asthma than emphysema. The walking (up to 18,000 steps a day) seems to help! Before it was max 12,000 or on the outside 14,000.

elvan

WOW, I am impressed, you are quite an EXample, Thomas!  I am going to have to get a fit bit or a knock off because I have no idea how many steps I take.  I am so happy that you are feeling less wiped out, that's wonderful!

0 Kudos

With my last exacerbation, I continued to work, though I couldn't do much. This job was 800 ft. higher in elevation and the climb of the last 600 ft. only took a couple of minutes as the road was so steep. My blood oxygen levels when I was up there were in the low 80's. 

I finally realized that I needed to take care of myself and quit going up there so I pulled off of the rest of that job. Since then, I've healed up nicely and am holding my own with an oxygen level at 95%.

As I understand it, each exacerbation can cause more damage to the lungs so taking care of them quickly is very important. So far I still do really well between bouts, but I have to agree that when I'm at normal elevations, working actually increases my blood oxygen level. I'm trying to nip this condition in the bud as much as I can and help myself to achieve a quality of life that is as good as I can make it!

Thanks Thomas

ONWARD TO FREEDOM!!!

Chuck

0 Kudos

Good choice, Chuck! You are right about exacerbations. Also it's important to know that you are compromising not only your heart but your brain when your oxygen drops and stays below 90%. We really have to be careful! No job is worth dementia!

0 Kudos
AbasKid

Main House 4.JPGI am very much impressed with you, Thomas. Your insights are quit of value to me

While my challenges are of a different nature, I can appreciate your guidance.

My "job" is physically demanding in that I am walking around  a county park, Open Air Museum, teaching children about life back in the good old days. The time frame runs between 1850 up to 1916. Of course costuming has to be appropriate to whichever time frame I'm working and it is outdoors! I have a boss that has been very accommodating and is stationing me either in the Main House Museum which is climate controlled--meaning heated LOL or the schoolhouse which is heated with a wood stove. I had to give it up for the fall sessions last year, but I'm ready to face it again starting in March!

As an old lady who worked so many years, it has been important for me to keep being able to contribute something. Asking for help is not something I do easily or graciously. Needing help is not in my vocabulary. It is good you recognize that it is so difficult for those inn your care.

Hug & Blessings

Sara

The picture is me & grandkids outside the "Carriage House" I took them on tour when they were here for a visit and dressed them for the part!! LOL