cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Connect with others living with health conditions

Ehulsinger83

Recently diagnosed, can i quit?

I've been smoking for 20 years 2 packs A-day in being told I have COPD i want to quit but I am not sure how to or where to start. I'm 38 and I found out on my birthday that I have COPD and i am stage 3 I can't believe this is going to be my life now

Labels (1)
Tags (1)
17 Replies
YoungAtHeart

Welcome!

WOW - that is a tough diagnosis at so young an age  I am so sorry.  Did they suggest pulmonary rehab?  They teach you exercises to assist with your breathing.  I hope others who have done it will chime in; I have not.  You absolutely, positively need to quit NOW!  We can help.

The important thing you can do right now is to educate yourself on what nicotine does to your body and mind. To that end, I highly recommend Allen Carr's “The Easy Way to Stop Smoking.”    You can search for it online or at your local library.  Here is a video to inform you further about nicotine addiction: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IpWMgPHn0Lo&feature=youtu.be.

Let me know if you decide to use a quit aid and I will give you my thoughts on them.

It will be informative if you do the tracking and separation exercises recommended here on the site. As you track each cigarette smoked, note its importance, and what you might do instead. Put each one off just a little to prove that you don't NEED a cigarette just because you think you do.

The idea is to change up your routines so the smoking associations are reduced.  Drink your coffee with your OTHER hand in a place different from when you smoked. Maybe switch to tea for a bit.  If you always had that first smoke with your coffee, try putting your tennies on right out of bed, going for a quick walk, then taking your shower and THEN your coffee! .  Take a different route to work. Take a quick walk at break time where the smokers AREN'T.

You need to distract yourself through any craves.  You can take a bite out of a lemon (yup - rind and all), do a few jumping jacks, go for a brisk walk or march in place, play a computer game.  Keep a cold bottle of water with you. Don't let that smoking thought rattle around in your brain unchallenged. You might visit “Games”: https://excommunity.becomeanex.org/groups/games. The active ones are at the top of the list going down the left side of the homepage.   Here is a link to a list of things to do instead of smoke if you need some fresh ideas:
 https://excommunity.becomeanex.org/blogs/Youngatheart.7.4.12-blog/2013/02/25/100-things-to-do-instea...

The conversation in your head in response to the "I want a cigarette" thought needs to be, "Well, since I have decided not to do that anymore, what shall I do instead for the three minutes this crave will last?"  Then DO it.  You will need to put some effort into this in the early days, but it gets easier and easier to do.

Stay close to us here and ask questions when you have them and for support when you need it. We will be with you every step of the way!

Nancy

Ehulsinger83

Thank you so much for your advice, I really appreciate it.  I will try all those things you suggested! I am determined to get better!

Barbscloud

Yes you can, but it will take commitment and work on your part.   Educating yourself and creating a quit plan makes quitting doable.  It's not easy, but the quitters on this site are evidence that it can be done.  Having support from other quitters is just what many quitters need to be successful.   We're here to support on your journey--you just need to reach out anytime you need encouragement.

I'm sorry to hear about you COPD diagnosis.  A diagnosis of COPD is what motivated many of us to quit.  I hope you're receiving good medical care.  Do this for yourself.  You deserve it.

Barb

sweetplt

Hello and Welcome to Ex’s Ehulsinger83 

Of course you can quit smoking...many of us smoked for 40 years and quit smoking...Like Barb above me, it does take commitment and hard work...Keeping close to this site for help...and finding other things in your life to do other than smoke...

I am so sorry you have COPD and especially at such a young age.  Please do what the Doctor tells you to do and quit smoking.  It is the biggest thing you can do to help you with your COPD. If you can, read the blog done by thomas3.20.2010.who also suffers from COPD...

We are here for you...~ Colleen 

MarilynH

Welcome to the community you've made the best decision that you'll ever make in your lifetime and it's definetly the best gift that any of us will ever give ourselves which is the gift of LIFE it's definetly not easy by any stretch of the imagination BUT thankfully with commitment and perseverance you will succeed in living a Smokefree Life, please read the links suggested above me and keep reading everything you can because there's a wealth of information right here on this site to strengthen your resolve to kick the nicotine poison to the curb permanently you can do this quit believe it deep breaths and believe in yourself because we believe in you and we're rooting you on and we're all here to help you in any way we can.....

Anonymous
Not applicable

I have no doubt you can quit if you want to . We already know you need to . Smoking is the worst thing you can do for copd. You can't reverse copd , but you can slow its progression .

In just a while after quitting I think you should be able to feel a difference in your breathing  . Now my copd is not staged . Here we categorize it differently . I have moderate / severe copd with an asthma overlap . Quitting smoking made a huge difference for me . From walking just a block or two to miles . 

Exercising , walking , and now being smoke free for ten years , I know  those things helped  . I have done the intake for pulmonary rehab , but because of covid it's been delayed but I'm more fit and healthier  now  that even a year ago lm

Personally I started by throwing out all smoking things related . I used a quit site and some mantras like this phrase "  smoking is not an option ." then instead of smoking you do something different .  

Support and education about how this addiction is cunning and decieitful will definitly help you. 

There are several of us here with copd , all with many years quit now.  You can do this .

Cousin-Itt

I was told I had emphysema and growth on the top right of my right lung along with a few other things the day I was taken off the ventilator.. I made a decision that day to quit I smoked 1 to 1.5 packs a day for 40 years.

I do everything I can to keep myself going I went from some boring breathing apparatus that sent me home with to playing harmonicas instead I started walking everyday The first week I couldn't make it up the first hill in my neighborhood I was gasping so bad.   I now not only walk up that hill but several others in my neighborhood.  Yes I still gasp for air at the top but I catch my breathe and continue on I walk 3 to 5 miles every morning   Yes I accept the fact I'm not going to get better but it doesn't mean I can't fight back some and keep it from getting worse. 

I remember to this day what my pulmonary doctor told. He said I had a choice to make He told me he didn't care what I chose as he would do the best he could for me. He told me I had to choose what type of life I wanted to live and for how long  

I'm letting you know it can be done Yes you can quit, Yes you can fight back  It's your choice  I'm almost 64 and I intend to fight as long as I can

Carl

indingrl

Thanks for sharing and NO worries YOU are NOT alone - CONGRATS on NICOTINE FREEDOM - ONE day at a time

elvan

I have COPD, l am a pretty severe case. I knew l was developing it for some time before l got so sick that l did not think l was going to make it, neither did my doctor. I quit then, that was over 7 years ago. I had both upper lobes of my lungs surgically removed because they were so damaged that l was trapping air & l could not get air in because there was no room. I went to pulmonary rehab several months after the surgery. They showed me the most effective way to breathe, gave me nutrition advice, gave me reading with simple assignments to complete, they also monitored my oxygen saturation during exercise & they put me on oxygen if my sats were too low. The surgery was over five years ago & l was told that it was NOT a cure & the BEST possible outcome would be an improved quality of life for 3-5 years. It did make a big difference at first & l ate a healthy diet & exercised 5-6 days a week. In the past few months, l had to stop exercising because l am so short if breath. I am hoping to gradually return to regular exercise but, for now, my oxygen saturations drop to dangerously low levels with very little exertion & oxygen on. It is terrifying to not be able to breathe. I smoked for 47 years, longer than you have even been alive. A healthy diet, regular exercise, & no smoking or exposure to inhaled irritants should help you to improve significantly. Make sure you have a good pulmonologist & take prescribed medications as instructed. I am certain that if l quit at your age, the damage would be significantly less than it is. 
You can quit & you have the best support site ready & willing to help. Welcome to EX.

Ellen