cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Connect with others living with health conditions

leslie5

Raceing

Today is day #2 for me and I just joined EX. I have BiPolar and smokeing was one of the ways to cope with problems that would come up.
I thought after the first day it wouldnt be bad but I think today is just as bad as yesterday, My whole insides are raceing is anyone else feeling the same way?
Normaly I would be chain smokeing and typing this is weird.
Labels (1)
Tags (1)
0 Kudos
11 Replies
lorelai

Hi guys. I'm Lorelai. I've been treated for depression, anxiety/panic disorder and social anxiety disorder since I was 15. I'm now 41,
and also a friend of Bill Wilson's. For those who aren't familiar with that term, I am a recovering alcoholic as well. I believe that my
issues definitely played a huge part in my alcoholism, as well as my smoking. When I'm having a stressful time of it or when the
anxiety flares up as it still does from time to time, I can't drink it away anymore, but by God I can pick up a smoke!!!
This is a really big thing for me, as it is for all of us on this site. I think those of us that have the mental health issues have an
especially hard time with quitting, don't you agree?
0 Kudos
lashonda23

I have mild anxiety/panic disorder and depression, I haven't even been taking meds for that because the doc gave me some trazadone and I can't function it worse than I am if i wasn't on it. It is very hard to try to quit because I have my down days and then I have my days that I cannot focus on anything, let alone hardly any sleep between school and work! oh man, its crazy. i think i'm coming around slowly just dealing with it myself but is there an easier way?
0 Kudos
jen_marie

Your body is under withdraw. Drink more water, take deep breaths and it should pass. Keep the will power. Someone told me to try a detox kit (i have never used and don't know how well they work). Keep your determination.
0 Kudos
jen_marie

You aren't joking. I went through narcotics, alcohol and sex addiction before I got the help with my bipolar disorder. BUT it seems impossible to put this nicotine to rest. It IS difficult. My hubby put the smokes down and walked away 3 years ago. I wish I could. I know it isn't mental block, it is as if we NEED the stimulation of the nicotine and poisons we are inhaling. OR maybe it is just the fact that a smoke break gives us time to collect our thoughts and have a few minutes alone. I noticed that I don't enjoy smoking with others. I want to be alone to smoke. it is weird.......??? What do you think?
0 Kudos
direwolf

im having alot of trouble myself... I havent had a smoke in 6 days but i cry for hours every day... i feel like i lost my best friend and i panic every time i think about how much of a challenge this is... im off meds at this point due to an insurance issue and im really scaring the people who love me... any advice?
0 Kudos
jen_marie

Listen, BP is nothing to mess around with. If you have a psychiatrist (which you should) you need to go to the Psychiatrist and explain your situation. They should have samples to hold you over until your insurance is figured out. DO NOT GO UNTREATED. I cannot say it enough and I tell my BP friends that ALL the time. David Oliver puts out an excellent news letter for BPs and there is a nice support blog there also. DO NOT GO WITHOUT YOUR MEDS. THERE IS A WAY TO GET WHAT YOU NEED. YOU NEED TO PULL YOURSELF UP, FIND YOUR DETERMINATION AND FIND THE MEDICATION YOU NEED. IT IS NOT A GAME, IT IS NOT A JOKE AND YOUR LIFE DEPENDS ON IT AND YOU KNOW THAT!!!! Talk to any DR. that will listen to you and get the meds you need. The crying is your brain chemistry going berserk. You need to get level again. Drink water and take St.John's Wort until you get the exact thing you need. St. John's does NOT get you level, it takes the edge off. PLEASE go get your meds back. Do NOT let BP win and take you away. (you know exactly what I am talking about!!!) You can do this. YOU HAVE TO DO THIS!!!
0 Kudos
direwolf

thank you for your response... you are absoloutely correct, i just feel so overwhelmed that i find it hard to find a place to start... i have been on so many medications over the years and they all stopped working for me about 10 years ago... im scared to go through the process of trying new meds all over again... i know it just sounds like im whining, but if you have the same chemistry i do, you must know how hard it can be to do anything... even getting out of bed is a challenge some days... i never realized how much i kept myself occupied with my cigarettes... without them everything seems harder... but im not giving up on quitting, or on myself... thank you for your support
0 Kudos
lashonda23

insurance supplement if the money is an issue. i started trying to surround myself with friends that encourage me to stop smoking. they even play drill seargent with me because i'm so stubborn and stuck in old ways and habits. find someone that makes you laugh and can understand where you coming from. sometimes i have to have my cries to myself. I think maybe if you are working they usually have a help line that offers just about the same thing as if you are seeing a doctor pyschiatrist.
0 Kudos
jewels4

I'm Jewels and also a good friend of Bill's. I have been clean now for 25 months and also have been suffering from borderline personality disorder, depression and anxiety disorder as well since I was 15 and now I am 32. It is very hard when we give up our drugs and alcohol and now cigarettes? Are you kidding? I know I need to quit for my health and especially for my children but it is really tough when I feel that's all I have left that I do for myself as unhealthy as that sounds. I am ready to start my new journey an become smoke free for my family and for myself. One day at a time is how I'm hoping to get through it. I do agree that it is harder for us who suffer through mental health issues. Sometimes I feel like if I didn't have my smokes I will literally die but I'm hoping connecting with other people who feel the same way I do will help.
0 Kudos