cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Connect with others living with health conditions

Oh, and By the Way, I have COPD!

I have read so many of these intros lately! I just want folks to know that if you have been diagnosed with COPD this is a very serious Life Changing illness! Too often, a Doctor will send you out the door with your Spiriva or Advair and set an appointment for 6 Months down the road! No EXplanation, No Information, No PLAN! This is unconscionable! 

What you need to know more than any other fact about COPD is you must Quit Smoking or Die! It's that simple! Not "try to quit", not "one of these days", not "if it gets worse!" NOW! 

COPD life expectancy is a topic that many       COPD patients simply don't want to talk about. But, if you or a loved one have been diagnosed with       COPD, then you've probably spent a great deal of time wondering about it. And why wouldn't you? After all, understanding the prognosis of a disease motivates many people to take action toward making appropriate lifestyle changes that may help them live longer and healthier. So, can implementing positive lifestyle changes also influence COPD life expectancy? You bet it can!      

The truth is, if diagnosed early enough and you quit smoking, COPD prognosis is relatively favorable and lung function decline is similar to anyone else of the same sex, age, height and weight. It is only when you continue to smoke that lung decline progresses at a much faster rate and may eventually lead to respiratory failure and/or premature death. 

The other thing you need to know is your FEV 1%! When you are given a Spirometry Test, your Doctor knows your FEV 1% but if you don't ask him/her, (S)he may not see any reason to tell you! Well, it's Your LIFE, we're talking about here and YES, You do need to know NOW! An FEV 1% will tell you how much lung capacity you have and whether you are getting worse over time or holding your own - you will NOT be getting better ever! Finding out how to keep that number from decreasing must be your new constant goal in life! How can you know that if you don't even know your number? The surest way to keep that number from taking a landslide is .....QUIT SMOKING! 

COPD is #3 KILLER in the USA! Only Heart Disease and Cancer precede it. Diabetes is #7! People panic when they hear diabetes as their diagnosis! They should be much more concerned about COPD! 

EDUCATE Yourself! When you take good care of yourself, you have the opportunity to live a full Quality Life! It doesn't happen by luck! YOU make the choice!

Labels (1)
Tags (1)
0 Kudos
14 Replies
TheNewMe_Jo

Thank you Thomas.. always a HUGE help to me.

Was gonna write you, but since you're here, and others may need to know as well..

The Bug guy came last night to spray inside my house, it hasnt been done in several years,only the outside...

normally I wouldn't be able to smell it, let alone feel threatened by it, but I smelled it bad last night. I have a horrible headache. I mean I could REALLY smell it.

How much does this effect COPD? should I avoid getting my house treated forever so I dont inhale it?

0 Kudos
melissa131

It's terrible, Doctors just dont have time these days. Even my doctor who I now like, says that her clinic is only allowing 20 minute appts. I had to demand several tests, and when I had my gall bladder out, I was in such pain I saved up my money to get a test that I read about on Web MD! And that is when I was diagnosed with COPD, they kept sending me to get lungs Xrayed they would not let me have my gall bladder surgery until my lungs were clear. Then after words the surgeon came in to admire his work, (not really see how I was doing) and I asked him about those films. He said casually, oh you have COPD. 

That was in 2003. I was going to a sliding scale clinic then, no health insurance, they said if I had an official diagnoses I could participate in a University study. But a surgeon simply telling you that- is not an "official diagnoses". Here I am now, I have a good doctor, I still do not have health insurance per sey,but I am in a different program. And still have to demand tests and mention things, over and over, a person has to be VERY proactive about thier health these days. Yep. 

Thank you for lettting me share. 

0 Kudos

We're very sensitive even to candles and perfumes! yes, it can send you into exacerbation. Also, paint fumes, cleaning products, beauty products, pollution, - anything that has fumes. Next time, inform your bug man of your illness and ask what types of products he might have that are COPD friendly! believe it or not he will not be at all surprised by the question! Thank You for taking care of You, Jo! Love your LUNGS! They're darn hard to replace!

0 Kudos

Thank You for being proactive, Melissa! Part of the problem is TIME, as you say, but another problem is DOCTOR'S EDUCATION!  Many Doctors don't really understand more than the basics and perhaps unintentionally take the attitude "You did this to yourself!" DO NOT ACCEPT THIS! COPD is an auto-immune illness! It doesn't care if you smoked 3 packs a day or 3 sickerettes a day; it doesn't care whether you are 25 or 65; it doesn't care if you smoked 40 years or one day! So get that idea of guilt out of your way! You and I were unfortunate enough to have a faulty protein which reacted differently to sickerette smoke than our smoking neighbors! You deserve to live the best quality LIFE that you can provide for yourself! Even on a budget preventitive actions can keep your health costs down! Find out more and like Melissa, BE PROACTIVE!

0 Kudos
TheNewMe_Jo

thanks, yes , hair spray just bout puts me in a coma (being sarcastic here) my eyes burn and water, man Its amazing how I smell EVERYTHING now. and its not always a good thing... like when the dog has gas lol

I need to protect my lungs better.. thanks again

0 Kudos

man Thomas, thanks much for trying to help and educate people here. I have seen the same type of blogs. Like its no biggie, or people think it'll go away. AND its not their fault that they dont know all the facts, its the docs fault. I guess the docs dont even realize how bad it is?

0 Kudos

According to the article I posted above, even doctors think of COPD as an old white man's disease. Part of the problem is R & D money which until very recently has been extremely underfunded:

COPD $40 million 

Cancer $4448 million

Cardio Vascular $1580 million

and part of the problem is AWARENESS on all levels DRIVE4COPD is doing a lot to change that! Thank You Danika Patrick and DRIVE4COPD!

No, unfortunately your Doctor doesn't know enough!

0 Kudos

All my love to you, too, Linda!

0 Kudos