Connect with others living with health conditions

Julie1960

New here

I have COPD have medicine don't use it like I should.  Just wanted to say hello

Labels (1)
Tags (1)
17 Replies
SuzyQ411

Glad you are here, Julie. Since COPD is primarily a disease of smokers, many of us here share your situation. I know when I was first prescribed all those inhalers, I balked at first. Maybe it was just me, but I was mad that I had this feared lung disease and I was still smoking and my lung doctor wanted me to quit smoking and to take all these inhaled meds. It took me awhile to come to terms with all of this but once I gave into needing these meds, and taking them as needed, I began to feel better. I was much less short of breath. And now here I am, about 20 years later, finally getting down to the business of getting rid of this smoking thing. I hope you will become active on this site and stick with what it takes to give you a more enjoyable life. We care. 

Julie1960

I have had it for a while been a smoker on and off for a long time.  I am going to use the medicine.  I had a little lady friend lived to be 101 had COPD never smoked.

ExClipper

The routine does take some adjusting to. At first I used my phone to set reminders. Then I moved to the cat butt magnetic technique. Someone had given me cute cat butt magnets for the fridge. At night after I took my evening inhaler I moved the black cat butt magnet to the top, in the morning I moved the black one down and the white one up.  

The meds are important, I would try to work on creating the habit. Before you know it, it is second nature. 

SuzyQ411

Great System ExC!! 

vslim

I am brand new here today.  If I may ask a question and hope it is not intrusive.  From reading your post, you still smoked while taking these meds for all that time?

Today, I cut back on the smoking considerably and plan to go cold turkey. Soon. I am also going to be inquiring about an appointment with a pulmonary person to see where things are in regards to all these years of smoking. I am guessing there will be a diagnosis.

I was very active until retiring recently and my physical activity has diminished. From reading information contributions from the kind posters here, I see exercise is important.  My guess, is that the physical activity on a daily, sustained basis was keeping the short of breath at bay and now I am less active ( I did not sit at a desk all day and was in constant motion ) so the short of breath has been showing up the last 2 weeks. ( 2 months out from constant motion activity )

Thanks to all for your posts.  I am learning a lot here and on the quitting topics.

CommunityAdmin
Community Manager
Community Manager

Welcome vslim‌!

EX Community Admin Team
0 Kudos
LarryG

I quit cold turkey after 52 years of smoking; it wasn't easy.  First you have to really, really want to quit, next you need to accept that you're an addict (nicotine).  Then you're ready, it'll be tough sledding for a few days (Hell Week - the first), always express gratitude for the opportunity to not smoke; it doesn't need to be anything formal.  Visit this site every day at least once and read what others are doing, if you find something you like, take it!  Best of luch vslim, I'm pulling for you.

SuzyQ411

Welcome! vslim‌....I am hopeful you have made a Dr.'s appointment to talk about your concerns and see what he/she says. The Dr. may order some tests to see what's what, which seems like a good idea, especially since you are a smoker. Kudos for cutting down with a plan to quit. Also, glad to hear you are doing lots of educational reading, getting ready for the day of your quit. We at the Ex are here to help one another so try to post regularly and let us now how you are doing 🙂