cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Connect with others living with health conditions

carol11

New Group - New Discussion

For me, Anxiety and Depression is a hard thing to live with - if I don't take my meds. When I'm on my medication, no problem. But, if I forget for even one day, most times, I'll keep forgetting. Then it gets worse and worse and my loved ones and closest to me end up having to deal with this other version of me - and it ain't nice! So, I'm new here, to Ex, and I thought starting up a group for people like me, diagnosed with Anxiety and Depression could help us to help each other quit smoking in relation to our own special needs. Whadaya think?
Labels (1)
Tags (1)
0 Kudos
7 Replies
carol11

Hi Danielle. I'm glad you're here. Yeah the smokes sure help me when I'm having the anxiety. I'm on Efexor, and that's been working for me for 2+ years now. I'm also trying to work in some exercise into the routine. This morning I took the kids for a walk to the corner store and the weather was beautiful and just the experience itself was sweet. If you're set on not taking meds, maybe doing things like going for a walk (relaxes the anxiousness) or, cleaning one specific area in your house, or, just something to do. I guess having a plan ahead of time will be good (I'm thinking this as I'm writing). Yep, I think I'll do that myself. Make a plan. I know when I eventually quit, I'll do things like have a glass of water, or cranberry juice, as our friend Lorelei recommends. I'll just try to replace that urge tp smoke with something else until the nicotine addicted urges subside (I think it's anywhere from 3-10 minutes??) Anyway, Danielle, good luck my dear, you can do it-you can do anything you set your mind to. We gotta be strong, dealin with Anxiety and Depression ain't for the faint of heart! It's hard working through those modes-of-operandi- if we can get through those times, we can get through the smoking urges. I'm gonna write a list of reasons to quit and keep that handy to read when I need it. Well, gotta go-it's 1:30 in the morning and I gotta go to sleep! Take care, Friend.
0 Kudos
paula13

Danielle-I read your posts here and was touched by your stories/feelings. I too suffer from anxiety, but did finally decide to try medication. I understand your reasons for not using medication. I also was a cheap date, although I always thought I was going to throw up, because my heart raced and I couldn't sit still. Thank you all in this group for sharing your stories, it's hard to quit. This is the first time i have tried anything like this. I have quit before, have tried everything, patches, pills, cold turkey, you name it. I think this is the first time I have ever had anyone to talk to about it. Good luck to us all!!
0 Kudos
diana11

Hi,

When i seen this group i was thinking....thats the group i need to belong too. 1 for Not smoking and 2 for depression all rolled into 1 group. What a great idea. Even though everyone is great in the other groups i feel sometimes i cross the line with things that are going on in my life. Or i wont write some stuff cause i feel My stuff might drive others to smoke...lol Yeah i really do like this group also. I have been diagnosed with major depression and anxiety, PTSD, ADHD, and i know i have OCD In certain ways...lol My name is Diana and if anyone wants to ask me anything I will answer just ask. I have 121 days smoke free and i saved about $244.00 and never thought that i could ever have quit smoking. I really never thought of this next sentence to much but now that i think of it..it is so true...I AM PROUD OF MYSELF..(WOW) I never said that about myself. Guess i'll talk to you all later.
raychel

Hi folks, I've had some things I wanted to add to this group for a while so I will try to start doing that.

I wanted to introduce myself a little as far as my anxiety/depression problems.

I have not dealt so much with depression as the anxiety. Over the course of about 4 years it got really bad for me. I had some massive panic attacks and massive anxiety attacks in the past.
I was on meds for a while, but they started making me feel completely lifeless so I stopped them cold turkey several months ago.

I started learning cognitive behavior therapies and have been trying to enact those in my life.

One thing that I KNEW made me anxious was smoking. Because I smoked, I worried about my health constantly (but still puffed away, imagine that). Also smoking seemed to click something in my brain that made me feel anxious even when my brain wasn't thinking anxious thoughts. I had a quit in the past, where I realized that not smoking really made me less anxious. So quitting again, and staying quit for the sake of my mental health was a big deal.

I can already say how much calmer I feel not smoking. I have been dealing with depression at a higher level now, but honestly I am willing to fight through that more so than the anxiety.
futuredoc2

Hey everyone,  I've been diagnosed with severe depression, generalized anxiety disorder, PTSD, and dissociative amnesia.  I have a lot of pain in my past, just as I'm sure everyone else does, but I try not to let it stop me.  I'm 39, finished my bachelors degree in psychology and biology a year ago and am finishing the prereqs fro med school.  I have 3 daughters all on the autism spectrum from aspergers, add, pdd-nos so I spend a lot of time taking care of them and advocating for their rights.  Anyway, I've tried to quit smoking more times than I can count.  My family doesn't thnink I can do it and just blow me off and I don't blame them but I really want to do this.  I want to see my kids grow up and have families of their own and I don't want to be a hyporcrit as a physician by telling my patients to stop smoking when I still smoke.  Online supports is the only thing I have'nt tried to quit so I'm going to give it all i have.  Thanks for listening.

susanj

Hey, you have the right mindset.  You obviously have a lot to deal with.  I hope you are on medication for the depression - having been there myself being on the right antidepressant was the only thing that got me through 3 different incidents in my life.  Right now I am free of antidepressants  - after weaning off Effexor - I do take antianxiety pills as needed and those with a sleeping pill to help me sleep through the night.   I also have tried to quit many times, but that doesn't mean you shouldn't keep right on trying.  It will take sooner or later.  You're right about your family and the doctor thing.  Interesting, a couple of weeks ago I was driving by a doctor's office near where I live and this so called locally famed cardiologist was outside his back door smoking a cig with one of his nurses.  I was shocked beyond belief.   My father (who died in August) quit smoking after his own doctor told him 15 years ago, he wouldn't treat him any longer if he continued to smoke.   My father quit and he was a smoker from the time I was a child on - I'm 60 now - obviously he had a hardy consitution since he lived to be 87.   Keep posting, keep checking this site, one day or one hour or 15 minutes at a time - whatever it takes.

0 Kudos
bobbie11

Haven't seen any bipolars identified yet; so, Hi, I'm bipolar.  When the depression hits, I smoke to (I guess) deal with that, and because I just don't care about anything, including myself.  I don't have full-fledged mania, but when my hypomania kicks in, I smoke because I'm just speeding along!  Also have anxiety attacks and general anxiety disorder and SADD.  I see there are a lot of people here dealing with a lot of things that are very serious.  My husband got laid off about a month ago, and I can't work because of a physical condition.  We're still supporting our 22 year old son who lives at home because he's a bit slow about looking for work.  Depression and anxiety is what I've been dealing with, between the son and the lay-off.  I've got one day and approximately 22 hours left until I totally quit (I'm taking Chantix, and my depression med is Wellbutrin - should be a double whammy, but doesn't feel like it), and I hope I can do it despite the stress.  Good luck to all of us, as we have a bit extra thrown in to get past in quitting.