cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Connect with others living with health conditions

mark_k

Mental Health Support

Linda, first of all... Congratulations! You're doing great for yourself and I hope that the road is smooth from here on out with only minor bumps along the way. I'm hoping that after a while we'll be able to walk past people smoking and turn around the 'if only I could' attitude into a 'if only I could help them like so many had helped me'. Oh, and lest I forget.... I wanted to tell you... 'mentally challenged', though very PC isn't as fun as how I like to consider phrasing it... try 'social underdogs'... everyone loves an underdog and it makes people smile! (Admit it... you just smiled... at least a little bit) 😃
Labels (1)
Tags (1)
0 Kudos
200 Replies
kwandrie

I am in day four and using the gum.  I am so fed up, angry, ready to kill myself and any one else.  I have depression all the time as i am unipolar depressed.  I take medication but it sure isn't working right now.  I am biting my tongue to bleeding to keep my mouth shut and not dump all this crap on anyone else.  I am quitting smoking because i am sick and having breathing problems.  This is my 11th attempt and is only working because i can't smoke.

0 Kudos
wolfsong

Great idea,starting this group,I am a panic sufferer also.Havent set a quit date yet.This isnt my first time quitting,Used Chantix the last time and tis time will maybe be the patch and my own desire too be rid of of this addiction once and for all.Am more excited than anxious........so far.But as I said I havent set my date yet.Anyway.....blessings to all,Wolfsong

0 Kudos
icequeen

Hi everyone

I have been smoke free since march 4th,my quitting date was march 12th so i'm alittle ahead of schedule.

I recently been diagnosed with PTSD and a tiny OCD but the dont regonize the OCD cause it's only alittle i think and believe i only have Depression with suicide thoughts and ADHD.

So being hospitalized for 5 days HELPED ME,I'm thankful.But what helped me more with quitting smoking are the Patches,I have 2 different patches 1 is a 21mg the other is a 7mg,on top of this my lovely Husband cuts straws in the size of a cigarette for my mental withdrawl which i constently chew on.

I hope and Wish for every one of you to get your goals

Andrea

0 Kudos
jeanie4

Two Weeks into my quit and I'm not crazy!!  Yeah me!  This proves to myself and hopefully others that we don't have to let depression and anxiety sabatoge  our quit efforts.  To Andrea and Kwandrie, I'm sorry things are going badly for you and wish you good mental health!  Check out the blogs on this site.  They may be helpful.  But you can always post more comments here.  Good Luck  to everyone!!

0 Kudos
inky

I am in my 50s and quit once, for 5 years. Then I got hooked again. I have major depressive disorder and will probably be on meds for my whole life. I can hardly breathe and am easily winded. I REALLY hope this plan will help me.

0 Kudos
lynnwoodmont

I was wondering if you would mind if I joined your group? I quit smoking last Monday and I am having such a time with this. That is mild to say... I didn't realize how much of my emotions I have suppressed until the last couple of days. Today is most grusome for me. I don't know what to do with these feelings. I don't want to smoke but I could tear up an entire room. I want to throw stuff and destroy stuff... If I could... I would run and run until I collapsed... I can't make this stop. Any suggestions would be helpful.. as no one around me understands. I am such a bad person when I am not smoking...

Thanks for listening.

0 Kudos
annysue

Hi all!!!! Its so great that other ppl  are on here that are trying to quit without completely losing it. A little about me, I'm 26 and smoked since I was 11. My quit date is planned for May 1st. I think its a great way to start the month. This week Im working on reducing the number of cigarette breaks at work. Friday I start the no smoking rule in my car (I'm really nervous about that one, I have PTSD from a really bad car wreck and nicotine has been how i deal with it for 10 yrs almost). I have g.a.d. and am bipolar. I have a beatiful 6 yr old son who needs me to quit and a supportive boyfriend helping (he has agreed in advance to ignore any grouchyness from me lol) I look forward to getting to know you guys.

Thanks

Annysue

0 Kudos
qnicebtch

Hi, I'm 50yrs old and have been suffering w/panic disorders for about 4 years now. I quit for the longest time in October 2009 until about  both of my carpel tunnal surgeries were supposed to be healed, but when my left hand didn't heal and I couldn't  do my job (cooking) properly, my panic attacks started flaring up even tho I'm on meds. My doc changed my med but it didn't help so I went back to smokin' and my nerves calmed back down. Now I found out I need to have surgery on 3 herniated disc in my neck and I need to stop smokin' at least 2 months before the surgery to strenghten my bones, and its a medical fact that it works, so I need to stop smokin' in the nest week or so in order to schedule my surgery so I need a support group cause my panic attacks are coming more often a day now. My councelor has suggested breathin' techniques and other stuff, but nothin' seems to help. Anyone have any suggestions?

0 Kudos
bella65

i havent smoked in 4 mths and started having panic attacks.i got meds from my doctor and im starting to feel alot better im sure glad i talked to her a out it.she said when i was smoking it covered up my panic attacks.well now that i quite i noticed them more.thanks. heidi

0 Kudos
dana39

Hi,

I've had a Panic Disorder since the age of 18.  I'm now 57 and have been a smoker since I was 17. 

I haven't chosen a quit date yet but it will be this month.

Just thought I'd hang out with people who understand Panic Disorder, depression and all that goes with it.  I hope to help support others and receive some support here since the people in this group have a common denominator that probably makes quitting harder.

It's made it harder for me and I've tried quitting for years.

0 Kudos