cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Connect with others living with health conditions

bigbear1

MY MENTAL HEALTH TODAY DURING DAY THREE!!!!

YEAH, I ALWAYS USE CALL CAPS AND BOLD LETTERS.  IT IS SO MUCH EASIER ON MY EYES AND MAYBE YOURS TOO.  IT'S A GREAT TODAY OUT HERE IN THE STICKS OF THE OZARKS THIS MORNING THE ACTUAL TEMPERATURE WAS 1 DEGREE FAHARENHEIT.  I WAS GRATEFUL THAT I AM A NON-SMOKER.  OTHERWISE I WOULD HAVE BEEN SUCKING ON THE CANCER  STICKS WAITING FOR THE DOGS TO PERFORM.

I STARTED THE MENTAL HEALTH GROUP BECAUSE I AM MULTI-DIAGNOSED WITH SEVERAL MENTAL/EMOTIONAL DISORDERS AND REQUIRE SEVERAL DIFFERENT MEDICATIONS DAILY TO STABALIZE MY BODY CHEMISTRY.  IT OCURRED TO ME THAT BY SIMULTANEOUSLY ELIMINATING NICOTENE ALONG WITH THE THOUSANDS OF OTHER CHEMICALS IN CIGARETTES THAT I MIGHT VERY WELL ENCOUNTER SOME EXTREME AND PERHAPS EVEN DANGEROUS REACTIONS.

THIS IS MY THIRD DAY AND SO FAR  THINGS ARE GOIING  PRETTY WELL FOR ME.  I JUST REALIZED THAT I FORGOT TO TAKE MY MORNING MEDS THOUGH.  AT ANY RATE TODAY IS GOING WELL AND I AM GRATEFUL FOR ALL OF YOU WHO HAVE GIVEN ME POSITIVE SUPPORT.  I AM LOOKING FORWARD TO YOUR RESPONSE SINCE I PROPOSE THIS AS A DISCUSSION TOPIC!

Labels (1)
Tags (1)
0 Kudos
13 Replies
promise_judy

Dear Bigbear1,

I think your discussion topic is... whether or not by changing your level of nicotine along with the thousands of other chemicals in cigarettes--could it change you body chemistry? You need to talk with your doctor cause I assure you we wouldn't know.

Let us know what you find out.

Judy

0 Kudos
GreenThumb3

Your not going to die from not smoking not adding more poison in your body is a good thing that feels bad your mind is trying to play with you it's like me thinking my sinuses got worse maybe they need smoke total BS keep going 

0 Kudos
Newfound_Joy

Yes, I agree with Green thumb.  I don't see how getting rid of all those toxins could possibly hurt your body or affect your medication.  But if you have any doubts, please ask your doctor.  Then you will know the answer, and you can rest assured.

Yes, I live in Idaho, and I would go out on my back deck to smoke in -27 below zero!  I'm so glad those days are gone!!

NOPE

NEF

0 Kudos
LouiseR

My brother was diagnosed at 19 and is now 52 with mental illness and lives in a group home the last 4 years. I am his legal guardian as our parents are now in their mid 80s and cannot take carecof him. He used to smoke 3 packs a day but quit 14 years ago. He got addicted to nicorette gum for about 5 years but has given that up 9 years ago. He is so happy that I quit and says if he can quit anybody can if they really want to. He does not realize what an inspiration he is to me. We are all in this together and our goal is to be smoke free, I am here to support all who have quit and want to quit.
0 Kudos
bigbear1

HEY, THANKS TO EACH OF YOU WHO RESPONDED TO MY TOPIC.  I AGREE WITH ALL OF YOU AND YOUR RESPONSES.  YOU ARE CORRECT IN YOUR ASSUMPTION THAT I AM IN FEAR OF SOME ADVERSE BEHAVIORAL REACTION.  I DO EMPHATICALLY AGREE WITH EACH OF YOU THAT I AM GOING TO BE BETTER OFF PHYSIOLOGICALLY BY REMAINING CIGARETTE FREE.

OF COURSE I AGREE THAT MY PHYSICIANS ARE THE ULTIMATE AUTHORITIES ON ALL THINGS MEDICAL.  STILL YOU CAN'T BEGIN HOW MUCH  HELP EACH OF YOU OFFERS ME WITH YOUR COMMENTS.  THANKS SO MUCH FOR YOUR CARE AND CONCERN.  I WILL CONFESS I WOULD REALLY LIKE TO LIGHT UP RIGHT NOW; BUT, I SURE DON'T WANT TO HAVE TO START OVER!!

0 Kudos
lois2

congrats on day3 your doctor may want to adjust your meds now that you don't smoke. hang in ther AND OLD NIC PLAYS GAMES with us.

0 Kudos

I don't think it is a bad idea to be aware of changes in your body/mood etc. Quitting smoking does make lots of changes in our bodies...and that could affect the way your body handles your medications. My thyroid meds tested way off after I quit smoking (last tested about 1.5 months into my quit - I think I'm due to get tested here soon)

So, yes - keep in close touch with your treatment team. And keep not smoking!

0 Kudos
caingurl1

My doctor had to adjust some of my meds because of nicotine cessation. I had to get less beta blockers because when I quit smoking my heart rate/blood pressure slowed/went down which is great! I am on less medication because I quit which is a great thing. I was diagnosed with Bipolar and Boderline Personality Disorder, but I've only taken meds when I was hospitalized. I don't take them when I am out of the impatient clinic. On my third week, I had a meltdown. I was overly stimilated; I had angry outbursts that led to the police being called. I do believe that because of my mental illnesses my emotionally outbursts, feelings, and behavior is more extreme. This time, I plan on combating that with one medicine that I keep around for the worst. I have Klonipine prescribed to me by my counselor, but I only take them when I feel my worst which is barely. I promised myself that I will make myself take some this time if I get out of control.

0 Kudos
bigbear1

Well, i am  into day 4 today and so I haven't had any problems.  My biggest problem has been with sleep!!!  I don't have any problem going to sleep; but, I sleep all morning and sometimes into the afternoon. 

I really appreciate the coments and observations that have been offered.  I am wondering if I am going through some sort of wierd grieving process over the loss of cigarettes.  If that's the case so be it!!!  I will not resume smokeing because of that.

0 Kudos