cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Connect with others living with health conditions

Life With Chronic Lung Disease: The Value of Journaling

No one said life with lung disease is easy. Your condition might not have a cure, but that doesn’t mean you’re helpless against Chronic Obstructive Pulmonary Disease (COPD). The National Emphysema Foundation offers various suggestions of habits you can develop to help decrease your symptoms and enjoy life more. Keeping a journal is one of those habits.

How Can Journaling Decrease Your COPD Symptoms?

If you record the right things, keeping a journal can help you avoid exacerbations or periods of heightened symptoms. Write down certain environmental conditions you face each day and how they affect your breathing. Maintaining a record allows you to keep track of what pollutants irritate your lungs.

For example, you might notice that certain routes you take during your daily walks, such as those along busier streets, might cause flare-ups compared to those in quieter neighborhoods with less traffic. Your journal is a way to record this information and help you keep it straight.

What Else Does Journaling Accomplish?

Life with lung disease is about more than just avoiding situations that make breathing difficult. It’s about enjoying life with your family and friends. Write down your favorite memories in a journal — perhaps one that's different from where you record how environmental conditions affect your symptoms. This gives you an easy way to look back on fun times and serves as your legacy in the years to come.

Other Lifestyle Changes

A few additional techniques can allow you to enjoy life with lung disease more. Try these tips from the National Emphysema Foundation:

• Quit smoking: It may not be easy, but it’s the first step you must take to improve your symptoms. Even secondhand smoke can be damaging, so ask those around you not to smoke either.

• Seek out clean air: Manage indoor air pollution and know your outdoor allergy triggers to help prevent an exacerbation.

• Be social: Lung disease has psychological effects as well as physical ones. Keep yourself mentally satisfied and engaged by having an active social life.
Labels (1)
Tags (1)
0 Kudos
2 Replies
Riverdance

Thomas, you are such a rock and an inspiration!  I don't have COPD, at least I don't think I do, but my sister does.  I don't think I can persuade her right now to join this site but it's good to know someone like you is keeping your finger on the pulse of those with COPD.  It's always interesting to read your blogs.  By the way, thank you for the links yesterday - The Healing Power of Mindfulness and the other about worry.  I learned a lot from the first and today am planning to watch the second.  Thanks again.

Caroline

0 Kudos
ret

Good idea, I plan to do this.  

0 Kudos