cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Connect with others living with health conditions

Learning my COPD

The first time I discovered I had COPD, I easily could have died. My breathing was in bad enough shape that the doctors in the emergency room wanted to admit me into the hospital. In the end, I convinced them to let me go home with oxygen and Albuterol nebulizer solution for lung treatments. They gave me an IV steroid before I left and wouldn’t let me leave the ER until I had protable oxygen to get home.

That’s how bad I was that first time. I’d quit smoking five years earlier and was kind of blindsided with symptoms this first time. It was a while down the road, (and many more steroids) before I got through this event.

I’d always read Thomas’s blogs about COPD before this happened and it was his breathing exercises that helped to save my life during that event.

Once I healed from that time and had an official diagnosis of COPD, I had no problems for about six months until I caught a cold. I felt the symptoms from before begin to build within me. I waited about two weeks before I made a doctor appointment. By then my blood oxygen levels had dropped to very low 80’s.

When I finally had my appointment, antibiotics were prescribed and I used more oxygen to keep my levels up. My goal was to beat this bout without prednisone. The doctor also upped my advair to 250/50, and I very slowly recovered.

The next time I felt a cold coming on, I made a doctors appointment right away. I got in, got on antibiotics and the doctor upped my advair dosage to 500/50 for three months. Again, I’m doing great!

The reason I mention all of this is because I think by being aware of our symptoms, we can save major problems down the road, I’ve now done one of two pneumonia shots (the other will be in about a month), and had a flu shot since I would now be considered high risk were I to get those diseases.

I know now to go to the doctor right away. Because I’ve become more proactive when it comes to my COPD and the symptoms I feel I haven’t had a severe exacerbation since the first one. Learning our chronic disease can be paramount to our quality of life!

Of course as for all with COPD, the story continues . . . .

ONWARD TO FREEDOM!!!

Chuck

Labels (1)
Tags (1)
11 Replies

Yes, I can't stress enough to get thee to a Doctor with the first symptoms! 

Thank You Chuck for sharing your EXperience!

TerrieQuit

Thanks, Chuck!

0 Kudos
ccrider

Thanks Chuck,

I don't have COPD yet, but I know it could happen , I monitor my breathing carefully if I come down with a cold. You are so right about getting help early, it can make a huge difference in the quality and quantity of life.

0 Kudos
freeneasy

Thanks, Chuck Great advice

0 Kudos
TerrieQuit

I C U, Thomas  I have an eye on it!  ~Terrie~ Our hospital band-aid station at best! The last time I went for breathing they gave me a very powerful narcotic for a simple headache (I asked for Tylenol) I ended up at 55%, vented and kept for 6 days and was awake they tell me, but can't remember a thing! I lost other memory from that episode as well, that will probably never come back. There was damage due to lack of oxygen to my brain. Opiates can cause breathing distress! So, therefore, I am trying to control it with pro air, nebulizer and pursed lip breathing. It's back to 95% which is My norm. I am still coughing a lot and watching my #s I will go see pulmo.. or family doc on Monday. And yes I will go to ER if I must!  ~Terrie~

JustSharon

You are a blessing in disguise. I'm very good at putting off my symptoms, I'm moderate COPD. I've had some these past few days and you've enlightened me to get up off my dead butt and get checked out. Thanks Chuck for your blog!

flaroyale

How do you know when you are coming down with it.  I am at day 365 today of no smoking.  No inhaler or other meds right now and oxygen levels are always good

0 Kudos
flaroyale

Also where do I read about the breathing exercises.  I use too be able to find things on here but no more.

0 Kudos

Early warning signs of an acute exacerbation:

• Wheezing, or more wheezing than what’s normal for you
  • Coughing more than usual
  • Shortness of breath that is worse than usual
  • An increase in the amount of mucus
  • Change in the color of your mucus to yellow, green, tan, or bloody
  • Shallow or rapid breathing, more than what’s normal for you
  • Fever
  • Confusion or excessive sleepiness
  • Swelling in your feet or ankles

Staying Healthy and Avoiding COPD Exacerbations | COPD Foundation 

COPD Breathing Exercises: Pursed Lip Breathing and Pulmonary Rehabilitation 

I also use yoga breathing - my trainer showed me a wide variety of breathing techniques that focus on exhalation. It's not breathing in that counts - it's breathing out all the way!