cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Connect with others living with health conditions

TAG-1-QUIT

I’m new to this support community - but I realize that I...

Jump to solution

I’m new to this support community - but I realize that I need help and support to quit smoking. My name is Tom and I have been dealing with lung cancer since 2014. I’ve had my upper left lung removed and have endured three different chemo treatments, along with an immunotherapy treatment and most recently 3 weeks of high intensity radiation for my cancer which has metastasized to my lymph nodes. I am ashamed to say that I still smoke - have smoked for 50 years and I need to and want to quit smoking. I have greatly cut down but I need to quit all the way. I’m hoping support from this site will help me be successful this time. I just got Chantix from my doctor and have started taking that today. Any help I get is appreciated!

Labels (1)
Tags (1)
3 Solutions

Accepted Solutions
Maki

Welcome to the community @TAG-1-QUIT 

Chantix is helpful . Any questions you might have , don't be afraid to ask . There is much support here . We all walk the journey together one day at a time . 

My best friend is having lung surgery Monday ;  her upper right lobe removed . 

You have been through a lot and are going through a lot .  You can quit smoking . Reach out for help before you smoke . There are many here to help if you need . 

I smoked 28 years . Will have a ten year quit in June . Never thought I could do it . One day at a time . 

We go by the Ds . They help too . If you don't know what they are they are Distract , delay , discuss ,drink lots of water , deep breaths and don't smoke . 

H. A. L. T . Before you smoke ask yourself if you are hungry , angry , lonely , tired . Many times you'll find it's not a smoke you need but maybe rest , or maybe some light snack . 

Chantix will help take off the edge .  

Take a peek around the site there are lots of places to explore and good people . 

Search for quit kit . Sorry , I don't have the link.  This  is a new format for us all . I am no good with computers and  am struggling knowing where things are are lol so we are all learning something  , but glad I did see your post this morning . Others  will be along soon maybe they can post that quit kit link for you   . It  will give you ideas on what you can do instead of smoking , foods or snacks that can be of help etc . 

Things with cinnamon helped me a lot and oranges helped with craves . 

You will find what works for you . Lots of tips and ideas on site . 

One day at a time . 

View solution in original post

5Jacks

Congratulations for finding your way to this site, Tom. You can definitely quit if you rely on your determination and the support from this group. I read everything I could here when I started my journey. I really think it helps to write your own blog posts to share whatever you’re feeling, be it successes or struggles. You are not alone. We all have your back. 

Do whatever it takes to be smoke-free because it is a wonderful freedom that you should experience again. Please give yourself that gift.

I’m almost 15 months in now and I cannot even fathom ever taking a single puff again. I do still use nicotine lozenges and I don’t care if I use them the rest of my life - at least I’m not smoking and stinking.

I lost the love of my life in January to metastatic lung cancer and now I’ve just been diagnosed with it, although I think mine is stage I. 

I’m truly sorry you have gone through so much already, and I applaud your decision to join us. Keep us posted on your progress. I know you can do it!

View solution in original post

13 Replies
CommunityAdmin
Community Manager
Community Manager

@TAG-1-QUIT Glad you're here Tom.  This is an amazing community with a lot of amazing people to help you through your journey.

EX Community Admin Team
Maki

Welcome to the community @TAG-1-QUIT 

Chantix is helpful . Any questions you might have , don't be afraid to ask . There is much support here . We all walk the journey together one day at a time . 

My best friend is having lung surgery Monday ;  her upper right lobe removed . 

You have been through a lot and are going through a lot .  You can quit smoking . Reach out for help before you smoke . There are many here to help if you need . 

I smoked 28 years . Will have a ten year quit in June . Never thought I could do it . One day at a time . 

We go by the Ds . They help too . If you don't know what they are they are Distract , delay , discuss ,drink lots of water , deep breaths and don't smoke . 

H. A. L. T . Before you smoke ask yourself if you are hungry , angry , lonely , tired . Many times you'll find it's not a smoke you need but maybe rest , or maybe some light snack . 

Chantix will help take off the edge .  

Take a peek around the site there are lots of places to explore and good people . 

Search for quit kit . Sorry , I don't have the link.  This  is a new format for us all . I am no good with computers and  am struggling knowing where things are are lol so we are all learning something  , but glad I did see your post this morning . Others  will be along soon maybe they can post that quit kit link for you   . It  will give you ideas on what you can do instead of smoking , foods or snacks that can be of help etc . 

Things with cinnamon helped me a lot and oranges helped with craves . 

You will find what works for you . Lots of tips and ideas on site . 

One day at a time . 

Barbscloud

Welcome to the Ex @TAG-1-QUIT  Sorry to hear what you're facing with the lung cancer.  Glad you're taking this positive step for your health.   I also smoked for 50 years and recently celebrated my 3 year anniversary.   I had many unsuccessful attempts prior to this quit.   What worked this time?   It was a muti-faceted approach.  I was fortunate to find the Ex a week to my  quit date.  I educated myself about nicotine addiction and created a quit plan.  I also attended a smoking cessation class and used two aids (Welbutrin and nicotrol inhalers).   

Understanding this addiction, being prepared and having support were key.    https://www.becomeanex.org/guides/?cid=footer_community_linktobex

Many successful quitters here after used aids, including Chantix.  Even though we have much in common, everyone's journey is unique.  

Pick a date and begin you're journey.  We're here to support you--just reach out anytime you need encouragement or want to share you're experience. 

You can do this one day at a time.

Barb

TAG-1-QUIT

Thank you Maki - your post was helpful - I made it through my first day without smoking - I believe I can do this - just focus on what’s important.

0 Kudos
Gai.C

@TAG-1-QUIT  U are in the right place to Quit.  Stay close  read everything you can get your hands on. Make a decision on how you want to Quit. 

RainbowHeart

Welcome. I think this is the quit kit link

Quit Kit aka Tool Box - EX Community (becomeanex.org)

5Jacks

Congratulations for finding your way to this site, Tom. You can definitely quit if you rely on your determination and the support from this group. I read everything I could here when I started my journey. I really think it helps to write your own blog posts to share whatever you’re feeling, be it successes or struggles. You are not alone. We all have your back. 

Do whatever it takes to be smoke-free because it is a wonderful freedom that you should experience again. Please give yourself that gift.

I’m almost 15 months in now and I cannot even fathom ever taking a single puff again. I do still use nicotine lozenges and I don’t care if I use them the rest of my life - at least I’m not smoking and stinking.

I lost the love of my life in January to metastatic lung cancer and now I’ve just been diagnosed with it, although I think mine is stage I. 

I’m truly sorry you have gone through so much already, and I applaud your decision to join us. Keep us posted on your progress. I know you can do it!

TAG-1-QUIT

I’ve made it 1 day so far. And I am keeping my mind on my health and trying to feel better. 

Barbscloud

@TAG-1-QUIT  Congrats on your first day won.   You're off to a successful quit. 

Keep moving forward.

Barb

0 Kudos