cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Connect with others living with health conditions

minihorses

I'm Sick of Me

WARNING:  THE FOLLOWING POST IS NOT A PITY PARTY AS MUCH AS IT MIGHT SOUND LIKE ONE.  THIS IS ME, THIS IS MY MIND, THIS IS MY LIFE, THIS IS HOW I'M HAVING TO COPE WITH BEING A PERSON WHO IS LOST AT THIS POINT IN HER LIFE.   STOPPING SMOKING PULLED A LAST STRAW AND THE BUNDLE THAT WAS LOOSELY HELD TOGETHER CAME CRASHING DOWN.  SO THIS IS HOW I'M TRYING TO PUT THINGS TOGETHER, EVEN IF IT'S NOT THE RIGHT WAY.

I am at a huge loss.  My life has become a void.  I sit here day after day, miserable, stuffing my face, hating myself and my life, and not doing a damn thing about it.  Welcome to my mind, it is a veritable bottomless pit of loathing.  I live the definition of insanity, I do the same things over and over and expect to get different results.  I don't know why. I can see that if I don't change what I do nothing will be any different but I just can't seem to bring myself to take a step in any different direction.  I don't even look in a different direction. I'm pretty sure I know what's there and I don't want to face it.  It's change.  It's doing something else.  It's taking a risk. It's having to learn a new way.  It's getting off the couch.  I've been here so long it's all I know.  I live in one room of the house.  My living room.  I sit my ass on the couch with the computer on my lap all day and do absolutely nothing.  I eat non-stop.  I sleep.  It is my little cell and my living hell.  

It started in May of 2014.  One morning my left kneecap decided it was going to move due west without informing me.  I was at one end of the house in the bathroom at the time and just about to get in the shower when it decided make its' move.  It would not go back in, I tried more than once.  I had to scootch myself out of the bathroom and through the bedroom to be able to open the bedroom door because my oldest son who was home at the time had not responded to my screams for help.  He's a very heavy sleeper and my voice was starting to give out.  After a rough ambulance ride, being in the worst pain ALMOST of my entire life, that honor remains with my stomach surgery, and then almost stopped breathing during the times they were trying to get it back in, the current life began. The orthopedic doctor I saw thought it was healing slowly but after about 6 months he suggested an MRI. Even with our health insurance I knew it was going to cost about $750.  That was $750 I did not have.  We live paycheck to paycheck like most people. After physical therapy and wearing a brace I kept going back to the ortho every few months but it just wasn't making any further progress so I finally had to give in and have the MRI done and just pay for it a little at a time.  It was 16 months and I was up 20 pounds since I had dislocated it and guess what? I needed surgery.  I was sent to the surgeon who said I needed a tendon or ligament from a donor (I don't remember which), had several meniscus tears he needed to fix, and he had to do something to the other side to keep my kneecap in its' correct track. He said once it was healed it wouldn't be the knee of a 20 year old but then I;m not 20 so I should be able to go back to doing what I love.  Having a horse, riding, being outside, the nature buff, the lady who was on her feet most of the day, the strong tote-that-bale cowgirl, the sunny, outgoing lady at church who volunteered for as much as possible, who had friends, who was for the first time in her life skinny and who was very HAPPY.  So the fastest way back to that life the better, right?  Wrong!  I did everything the surgeon told me.  Did wonderful at PT after surgery, wore the compression stockings, wore the metal cage brace for months, wore the soft adjustable brace, rode my exercise bike, walked, went up and down steps, but the knee still hurt, or went numb or both at the same time.  I fell down a lot, luckily managing to save the knee further injury by making sure I landed on anything but it!   The surgeon said I wasn't doing enough to build up the strength, I think I waited too long to get the MRI and damaged it so badly that even a great repair couldn't bring it back.  The life I had enjoyed was over.  I had become so used to being unable to go anywhere and do anything that it had become my normal.  I couldn't go anywhere, I couldn't do anything, I couldn't help anyone.  All I could do was sit in my living room, on the computer, watch tv, eat, do physical therapy exercises, and try to get through each day.  My husband and kids had to take care of everything.  That meant that food was bought and prepared, laundry and dishes were maintained and animals fed.  Nothing else in my house got done.  It hasn't been cleaned in years. 

I wanted my life back!!!  I finally started to get it back at the beginning of last summer.  My weight had come down to only being 10 pounds above where it was, which was actually too light for my size anyway. I decided I could start back into horses and ducks, I could start going outside some and maybe start going back to church.  I knew I had to do one thing above all though.  I had to quit smoking. I had made a promise to my husband on the evening of my husband's mother's death that I would quit.  She passed away in May of 2015 as I read her 'White Fang' by  Jack London, her favorite author.  It wasn't her favorite book of his but it was always a good read so I chose it that evening.  She was in hospice, suffocating to her death with COPD.  She was in hospice for 9 days before she died so we took turns being there.  As awful as it was watching her die it took over 2 years for me to finally say OK, I am going to actually quit smoking, hopefully BEFORE I end up with COPD or cancer.  So I got a prescription for Chantix, set a date, found this site, and late in the evening on October 28, 2017 had my last cigarette.  Then my life crashed.

I have spent 99 days on nothing but quitting smoking.  I have not taken care of my horse or my ducks in that time.  I take care of the cats and cook dinners most nights.  I try to clean up and do laundry but since the kids don't work I make them earn their keep by doing dishes and laundry and taking care of the animals.  I go grocery shopping and once a week I take my youngest son to college for one class.  His brother usually picks him up.  He'll get his license soon so I won't even have to go do that.  I have replaced nicotine with food and have put on 20 pounds.  I can't leave my house because I literally have only one pair of pants that fit.  I refuse to buy bigger clothes.  I just did that last summer to accommodate the 10 pounds put on after knee surgery.  I can't stand myself.  I feel fat, horrible, lazy, and ugly.  And completely insane.  Nothing feels right anymore.  Part of my problem is that I just keep seeing who I WAS and I want that person back!  Unfortunately time seems to run forward only in this dimension so I can't GO back to who I was.  I have to become someone new going forward.  I don't have the strength to become someone new.  I have given up caring at this point.  If I don't care I don't have to cope.  It's what has gotten me through much of my life but it has never affected me this badly and it has not worked in this scenario, unless I don't care that I'm fat, lazy, and depressed ALL the time.  I'm lonely but don't want to be around people or talk to people.  It means I'd have to put on the happy face and voice and I'm not a good actor.  I wear my heart on my sleeve as this narrative proves so acting is a waste of time.  I don't know this person and I don't know how to work this person and there was  no manual included.  And what I really can't figure out is why quitting smoking changed me this much?  What the hell is up with that? Did my whole self image revolve around smoking? It sort of did.  It kept me getting up every 30 minutes to go out and smoke so I was on my feet more.  I didn't stuff my face because I had the hand-to-mouth of smoking. I spent more time with my husband because he pretty much stays in the garage on weeknights.  He comes home from work, changes, goes out to set up his work computer, watches tv or a movie and does work from home and/or putters on small projects.  I used to go out and talk to him while I smoked.  Now I only go out if I need a Diet Mt. Dew or a gallon of milk brought in.  We honestly haven't had a conversation in at least 99 days.  So I won't suffocate to death.  I'll just be miserable for all the minutes I may have extended on my life!  Yay.  So this is where I am at day 100.  Absolutely insane, hating me, hating my life and being lost.  I want to smoke, badly.  It sneaks up here and there but it's usually just a passing thought of 'I don't do that anymore'.  Yesterday as I was writing this I really, truly wanted to smoke.  Several times I thought "God I want a cigarette so bad!"  I told the boys that too.  They gave me hugs and support cuz mamma didn't raise unloving brats, just brats.  Nah, they really are loving boys who actually initiate hugs!  I have all the support so why do I feel so alone? Because I can't figure out who I am and I'm sick of being this me.

It is now day 100 since I quit.  I thought I'd be happy, excited and ready to celebrate. This me could care less.

Labels (1)
Tags (1)
0 Kudos
16 Replies
NewMe

You've gotten some very good advice here. And I think you will see it written here frequently that this is a journey, and to be honest we go through some pretty major changes in mood and behavior for quite some time after quitting nicotine. Part of it is the body still making adjustments after so many years of addiction. Part of it is learning how to cope with life's problems and ups and downs without hiding behind a cigarette.  There is emotional turmoil as we learn to deal with our own emotions instead of repressing them and pretending they don't exist or matter. Yes, you will feel like you are going through a million challenges to your emotional stability in the early days. But if you stick it out, you will come out the other side more stable, more capable of dealing with problems, and you will begin to feel like you have made great strides in becoming a more mature person as a non-smoker. Hang in there. Try to get some form of exercise, which will make you feel better. And you know what? If you have to go buy a few pieces of larger clothing so that you can leave the house and do more, just do it! I gained what I considered to be way too much weight in the first year of quitting. I waited until I felt pretty confident in my quit, and then I waited a bit longer, and then I lost the extra pounds and am now at the same weight as before I quit smoking. One step at a time. Do whatever you need to do to feel better. But do hang in there, and believe us when we tell you- It absolutely will get better!

0 Kudos
Sootie

So-----WOW! First a few things........

1. CONGRATULATIONS on 100 days! This is an accomplishment you should be proud of and celebrate!!!!

2. GOOD FOR YOU for writing so honestly.........and.....you still have not smoked. You are stronger than you think you are.

3. You can't stand yourself? Of course you can! You quit smoking......you obviously raised good kids......if you have horses and ducks, you must live in a nice place where you can be outdoors......you obviously are a person of faith because you were closely aligned with your church......I've "read" you on here and you seem to be someone who can be a good friend and support to others. SOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO these are a lot of great qualities that many people do not have. Think it over.

4. All you have done for 100 days is quit smoking. Yeah-----we get you on that. In the beginning you kind of do feel that way. But it's time to start re-focusing. You claim you can't change? You can. Change just one small thing....tomorrow...don't sit in the living room....sit in the kitchen. Next time you drive your son to college......stop somewhere, get out of the car and just look around...maybe walk a bit. NO BIG HIKE........just a change.

5. I'm not trying to sound like Suzie sunshine here........we all can get pretty dragged down at times. I have felt pretty down since I recently lost my Mom. But that can be changed....it really can. Change one small thing every day. I you are eating constantly....eat carrots and celery and stuff that won't add to weight. You liked out side things so go outside and walk around. Don't know if it's possible.......but sit outside (not possible where I live right now....at least not for more than 5 minutes!) instead of in the living room. Change just small things. If the house hasn't been cleaned.......clean one small thing.

6. BUY SOME LARGER CLOTHES----not a lot....but just some. You've GOT to get out of the house. And, you know bigger clothes make you feel skinnier than tight clothes. Tight clothes make you feel heavy.

7. Finally---you keep saying you want the old you back. I'm sure she was great...but she smoked. This new you does not and I'm sure she is just as GREAT and can be lots of fun if you give her a chance.

DON"T LOOK BACKWARD........YOU'RE NOT GOING THAT WAY.

Keep in touch.

anaussiemom

27332644_1668667113200183_7491227618175508818_n.jpg

It's ok.  Just believe and have a lil faith!!

minihorses

Thank you all so much for your outpouring of love and support.  I am sorry to be such a downer these days.  That is really NOT me, old or new.  I am trying to work on myself a bit more.  No more junk food, hopefully I can start to get moving more and I'm going back on one of my many, many bipolar medications.  I was hoping to be able to go off that one because it makes me shake but doc says we're going to try it again and maybe now that I don't smoke it won't make me shake as badly.  I went off it because we were trying to balance meds with the Chantix.  I will start it back up this evening and will keep you posted.  My youngest brat, the Star Wars nerd and I have been watching the Clone Wars animated series in the evenings.  It really does fill in a ton of gaps in the story and has been a nice change.  Today I'm going to go out if it stops pouring.  I found some old elastic waist pants that are decent enough for the drug store and grocery store.  I don't wear sweats, except hoodies, out of the house.  So I'm trying to put on my big girl panties and get through this brick wall, even if it's just a small chip at a time.  I will post an update later today on how I'm doing.  Again, thank you all for your love and know I support each and every one of you!  Together we can get through this.  This really is the best support system ever and I'm so blessed to have stumbled upon it.  

Julie

Mandolinrain

And we are all blessed by your presence ,xoxoxo

IrishRose

Hi there, Julie!  I am Irish Rose.  I do not believe we have met yet.  Before I say anything, I do want to say...

CONGRATULATIONS ON 102 SMOKE FREE DAYS!!!!!!!!

You should be extremely proud of yourself for remaining 102 days smoke free.  There are people that cannot get to that point without breaking down and finding some EXCUSE as to why they just had to start smoking again.  Be proud of yourself for that HUGE accomplishment, and use that accomplishment to build on the fact that YOU JUST DON'T DO THAT ANYMORE.  That, my dear Lady, is the first part of your new life as a non-smoker. 

Being a non-smoker is pretty awesome in itself.  You smell better for one thing; you are able to breathe a lot easier; no coughing and oh, the money you save from not having to support such a nasty habit.  Those are just a few of the benefits you have gotten to enjoy since you quit.  It does not sound like a lot of things I just listed, but they are major life changes, and as you remain smokefree, the list will get longer, just like the journey you are now on as someone who has protected their quit as well as you have the past 102 days.

"Rome was not built in a day."  It took you a long time to get to where you were when you decided to quit, so you might as well accept the fact that it is going to take a long time to change your life style - the one you had as a smoker.  Keep in mind "BABY STEPS".  You are having to relearn life without the crutch of a cancer stick, and you can make it a really difficult chore or go along with the program of fighting off every urge you get to smoke.

Baby steps can be as small as getting into a routine of doing one thing new a day, like, when you get up in the morning, go get a handful of cracked corn and get a few of those ducks to get to know the new you.  Get them to eat from your hand.  Introduce yourself to them as the new smokefree Lady that lives "here".  By the way, what kind of ducks do you have?  I had mallards a good while ago when I lived in the country.  Just watching them build potholes in my yard every time it rained would make me laugh.  They are very entertaining to watch.  The most awesome day was when one of my hens came out from the underbrush followed by eight little hatchlings.  Baby steps - that is the way you handle rising above where you are at now.  With each little step forward, in the right direction, you can rise above adversity. 

Keep in touch with this site.  It is critical that you share your ups and downs with your friends on EX.  You may not realize it, but you have many new friends right here on this site willing to listen to you, laugh with you, cry with you or just be there to hold your virtual hand.  You are not alone.  Some of us have been to hell and back, so we understand where you are at right now, and where you can go, depending on the road you choose.

Be strong and continue to protect your quit.  Quitting is a dramatic step forward to a much better life.

Big ((((hug)))) for you!

0 Kudos
Free2BU

Hello, Wow I have read your story with great interest and then something struck me.  Have you read about the physiological side effect of Chantix....it is mind blowing, and especially if you already have a few issues with depression etc  Bad Side Effects of Chantix | LIVESTRONG.COM.  Do yourself a favour and read these.  It also take a very long time to get out of your system, doubled with the fact that you are in NML.... My sympathies are with you, and feel that armed with the right information, you will be able to deal with your current circumstances so much better.

I have first hand knowledge of these side effects, as both my husband and myself gave up together with the assitance of  Champix,and all of a sudden my husband turned completely and utterly phyco on me....even at my birthday party he went absolutely mad pushing people and shouting and abusive.  I have never in our 25 years of marriage seen him like this.  A very good friend who was witness to this, then sent me an article about Chantix (in South Africa it is called Champix).  I was completely blown away and sent this onto my husband.  Then it all came out, he has been falling out at work, had road rage incidences and various other things had been going on.  He immediately stopped taking it, but it took a very long to to exit his system and for him to even begin to feel normal again, he was very depressed.  I on the other hand did not have the same symptoms at all.  I was only taking half a tablet in the morning and half at night, so very mild dose for about 3 weeks only.  With all of the information in hand, he was able to guide himself and realise that this was not him, but the drug that had taken hold.  Please arm yourself with this information and the people around you and you will be amazed at how you suddenly realize what has happened to you.  GOOGLE about, for some people its fantastic (worked for me) for others it is a complete disaster to you and your life.....Below is an exert of one persons view.. 

For Smoking Cessation "Here is what nicotine does to your brain... Nicotine also can have effects on the parts of the brain that sense pleasure. When nicotine gets into the brain, it is able to stimulate the release of a neurotransmitter called dopamine. Dopamine activates some of the neurons in the part of the brain that register pleasure. As a result, nicotine triggers a chemical sensation of pleasure, which causes people to associate tobacco use with a feeling of pleasure. Here is what Chantix does to it... Chantix messes with the part of the brain that senses pleasure, looks forward to things, has hope for tomorrow. It takes that all away. I took Chantix and the effects were catastrophic. Needed three meds to counter it. Stay away!"

Please, I truely hope that this helps, not only you, but a lot of other people that are on this site.  Like any drugs you take, some can work for you and some can totally alter your mindset and harm you, it all just depends.

Good luck with the Non-Smoking and keep it up....Dont slip backward, go only forwards and I hope that you find the help you need to get through this truely horrible time.

X