cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Connect with others living with health conditions

Don't Let the Stages Scare You!

When people hear that they have Stage III or Stage IV or even worse, "end stage" COPD it's natural to become terrified! But the stages aren't the whole picture and Doctors shouldn't be telling anybody they're "end stage" or terminal. 

"Exercise tolerance, weight, how short of breath you are, attitude and how you handle things all make a difference" in how your Disease will progress." All of these factors can be managed and improved by the patient changing the progression of COPD. If you need help building these skills I recommend that you go to Pulmonary Rehab. They will teach you what you need to know - but don't just go! Incorporate what you have learned into your lifestyle. 

I walk 9000 steps a day, have on-target weight, use breathing techniques to regulate my breathing, and constantly work on my attitude. Guilt, shame and self-recrimination serve no purpose at all! 

Another thing to keep in mind is that COPD is not a single disease. I have chronic bronchitis, emphysema, asthma and bronchiectasis. You may have some or all of these and other illnesses and in different proportions with an entirely different outcome say, on the 6 minute walk. 

"The goals of COPD assessment are to determine the level of airflow limitation, the impact of disease on the patient's health status, and the risk of future events." But it is not meant to be nor can it be a prognosis of X Years of Life. The number one action that anybody with COPD can take to slow or even stop the progression of the disease is Quit Smoking! If you have already done that, pat yourself on the back! 

You also have a decision to make about complying with your medical team by getting your vaccinations in a timely manner, taking your medications as prescribed, keeping your weight optimal with the recommended nutrition, using oxygen therapy if recommended and seeking medical attention the minute you notice signs of exacerbation. 

Yes, it's a lot of work and attention to the details of your lifestyle but it is your Life and your lungs and you do have a lot to do with how your COPD progresses or God willing, not!

Don't be a victim! Be your own best advocate! Get smart and live long and prosper!

http://health.usnews.com/health-care/patient-advice/articles/2017-05-05/what-are-the-stages-of-copd 

Labels (1)
Tags (2)
5 Replies
MarilynH

Thanks Thomas, this is an awe inspiring blog, I'm still learning how to eat healthier but I am patting myself on the back for my 1027 DOF.

0 Kudos
Barbara145

Thanks for this article, Thomas.  I have been fearful since my hospitalization.  Although I am doing extremely well, amazing really.  This article made me feel  much better. 

0 Kudos
Wantingacig57

Hmmmm, I would Love to "Not Be Able" to prove to you Different.. on the Prognosis of the Impact Lung Disease has My Life! COPD, Bilateral Emphysema, Chronic Bronchitis, another can't remember...with a Clinically recorded Progression of Loss of Live Lung, at a rate

of 9-10% per 24-28 months !! THAT IS THE STATISTICS OF MY LUNGS  This rate of increase is inevitable once your Lung Disease gets to a specific rate of Progression!! 

If I were to choose to continue to smoke same as usual, according to the numbers and damage already done...I will be unable to take a single step, on my own, more than 5 feet in about 15 months !!! OH MY WHAT A WAKE-UP CALL  

I will NEVER SMOKE ANOTHER REAL CIGARETTE, PEROID !!!!!  

PS...currently can't walk 28ft without oxygen going to 87% !! (At this Time)

0 Kudos
elvan

Wantingacig57‌ You are not going to notice an immediate improvement, it takes time. It is worth every minute of discomfort that you may experience.  I PROMISE you that the craves will get weaker and YOU will get stronger in many ways.  Quitting smoking is a journey of self discovery as well as a journey of physical recovery.  Stick with us, you can do this!

Ellen

0 Kudos
Wantingacig57

AMEN AND AMEN !!! Thank You Soooo Very Much, Dear Thomas !¡!  I Needed this Fantastic Reply, Pep Talk, Medical Info !!!! Honestly, I am MY OWN Worse Enemy while having to Face these Giants...which, I CREATED

That Reality is what haunts Me most... I've fine it TO MYSELF and the symptoms ARE SEVERE and Very Physically Limiting !!!! My Relationship with The Lord My GOD is My Life, which Helps me with my ATTITUDE, Tremendously !!! Hallelujah

I will Keep this Post of yours to LOOK AT from time to time!! Thank You and God Bless You through and through !!! Amen

0 Kudos