cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Connect with others living with health conditions

Does Your Doctor Get It?

We need all of us to be vigilant and self advocating for our own health. That means we need to have a clear understanding of our own particular COPD. COPD is an umbrella for a number of obstructive respiratory diseases and takes a different form in each of us. Some have more bronchitis than emphysema or visa versa. Then there are symptoms such as wheezing or muscle loss (cachexia.) Then there are comorbidites that complicate the picture. It's very complicated. Many Doctors don't even get it Yet we know our bodies. And we need to speak up! 

What does your Doctor understand? Here's an article that indicates just how uninformed final-year medical students can be:

"Results: Of the 338 students contacted, responses were collected from 211 of them (62.4%). Only 25.2% had an accurate idea about the concept of the disease. The study found that 24.0% of students were familiar with the three main symptoms of COPD. Tobacco use was not considered a main risk factor for COPD by 1.5% of students. Of those surveyed, 22.8% did not know how to spirometrically diagnose COPD. Inhaled corticosteroids were believed to be part of the main treatment for this disease among 51.0% of the students. Results show that 36.4% of respondents believed that home oxygen therapy does not help COPD patients live longer. Only 15.0% considered the Body-mass index, airflow Obstruction, Dyspnea, and Exercise (BODE) index to be an important parameter for measuring the severity of COPD. Giving up smoking was not believed to prevent worsening COPD among 3.4% of students surveyed. Almost half of students (47.1%) did not recommend that those suffering from COPD undertake exercise.
Conclusion: The moderate level of understanding among the population of medical students in their final year shows some strengths and some shortcomings. Teaching intervention is required to reinforce solid knowledge among this population."

Understanding of COPD among final-year medical students | COPD 

Folks, always ask questions and always advocate for yourself. If you begin to suspect that your treatment is insufficient or inappropriate  as I did get a second opinion and/or find another doctor. That days of doctor=god are over!

Labels (1)
Tags (1)
4 Replies
Mandolinrain

Good read Thomas, i have been back and forth with being diagnosed with Asthma and COPD. I had all the testing done and they say my COPD is very mild and they can't say it will get worse, they don't seem to know anything. I learn more from reading here and online. Patients really must be their won advocate these days when it comes to healthcare.

I had to get the pneumonia shot and flu shot because with my MS, I have a lower resistance to infection. I have GERD pretty bad but the meds they give for that, the protonics, make me sick. So I have to watch my diet. the Vegus nerve , also affected by my MS, makes swallowing difficult sometime.

I have been misdiagnosed, misunderstood more times then I can say because they ( Doctors ) are not fully understanding COPD , GERD or MS. It is very frustrating at times.

Anyway, I grateful for the research and articles I can read about on this site regarding the COPD. Im still learning.

Thank you Thomas3.20.2010

Missy

0 Kudos

I'm very sorry for your challenges, Missy! It must be very exhausting taking care of you! Never stop learning and advocating for yourself. You are in my daily thoughts and prayers.

0 Kudos
MarilynH

Thanks Thomas, I'm so thankful that you are here to help all of us, I hope you are feeling much better and had a great Christmas ....

0 Kudos
elvan

Thomas3.20.2010‌ Along with many others here...I learned more from YOU than I did from any other single source and I learned to ask questions and to be pro-active.  Thank you for all of the research you do and all of the information you so generously share with us. 

Hugs,

Ellen

0 Kudos