cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Connect with others living with health conditions

RainbowHeart

Chronic Pain and quitting

My back hurts. I mean, my back pretty much always hurts if I am upright, but right now it hurts almost as much as when the accident first happened, 20 years ago. (I was run over by a friend in his pickup truck, and it did some permanent damage, but back to the present.) I was trying to do a puzzle (750 pieces) and it involved a lot of standing. Standing is the arch enemy of a never-healed-right fractured vertebra. I lied down flat on the floor for 10 minutes, so I could stand up again, but now I am sitting and hurting but not smoking! I used to think a sick stick distracted me from the pain, and maybe in a sick, ironic way it did, but you know what else is distracting? Everything! Music, art, reading, typing emails or blogs or messages to friends. Walking in nature when you can, watching nature videos when you can't. Don't smoke, that can be one thing you can control. Don't smoke.

Labels (1)
Tags (1)
4 Replies
JACKIE1-25-15

NMW curve ball life throws you.  NOPEwill keep you free.  Smoking does not heal.  Only harms. It is good that you are finding alternative things to do instead of smoking. 

Barbscloud

@RainbowHeart I know about the pain.  I've probably mentioned I have back issues and then recently bursitis in both hips.  That started in April so I'm pushing myself to get back to where I was activity wise.  I getting close too it.  But I still hurts while I walk and pay for it the next day when I do too much work.  Smoking certainly isn't going to alleviate the pain and may make it worse.  Glad we both learned that lesson.

Feel better

Barb

eia1879

i truly understand their are better ways to cope!

eia1879

there are better ways to cope