Connect with others living with health conditions

dawn4

Cancer Survivors and Fighters

Good morning, Jojo!

Labels (1)
0 Kudos
120 Replies
hj_

Wow, I thought I was the only one...I've felt so stupid all these years because I continued to smoke for more than 10 years after having stage iii bc. It breaks my heart to think that even after my mom was diagnosed with lung cancer...we couldn't stop. I very recently 15 days ago QUIT. An aside from 4 puffs I snuck in one day when I was having monster cravings, I am a non-smoker. I know my mom is smiling and I swear I feel so free. I've accomplished a lot in my life, but I can't think of anything that has filled me with more pride than breaking this trans-generational addiction that took my mother and two beautiful aunts. I've never seen anyone I loved quit this, so I'm doing this for me and for all of us.

At Grace, if your still on here, HANG IN THERE! If you look on page from just 7 days ago, you would not believe this is the same person...I don't believe it's the same person. I never thought I would see this day, but it's here and I'm actually finally doing it. I HAVE NEVER FELT LIKE THIS BEFORE!

0 Kudos
popeyetweet07

I WOULD LIKE TOO JOIN THIS SITE IAM A 4 YR CANCER SURVIVOR I HAD BREAST CANCER I HAD 8 RADIATION TREAMENT AND 6 WEEKS OF CHEMOTHERAPY  IAM ALSO COPD AND ASTHMA AND I REALL NEED HELP TOO STOP SMOKING CAN YOU PLEASE HELP ME PLEASE HELP ME  POPEYETWEET07 THANK YOU 

0 Kudos
ivey

I had a lobectomy on November 7, 2011 to remove a small non-cell carcinoma tumor from my upper right lung.  The cancer had not spread to other areas but due to the size (small orange) chemotherapy was recommended and I am in the middle of 4 cycles as of today (January 10, 2012.)  I had smoked for almost 40 years and had considered quitting many times.  I smoked up until the day before my surgery (Nov. 6th.)  I discharged from the hospital on the 11th and went to my sister's to recover.  I did not smoke while I was at her house and could have because I had the last pack of cigarettes I had with me.  I went to my home a month later and it was five weeks after my initial surgery that I decided to have a cocktail and then another and then I smoked.  By then the pack of cigarettes had gone stale and I remember crying each time I lit one.  I finished them and a day or two had gone by and I bought a fresh pack.  While I have not returned to my old pattern of use, I am still smoking when I have cocktails and have smoked some in the morning while having coffee.  I think I am going to have to quit drinking alcohol to totally quit smoking. 

0 Kudos
judy0212

Hello

I'm new to this group as of 1/12/12.  Sincere congratulations to you all for having the desire and the follow thru to actually quit.  Me? I have had uterus cancer plus my mom died from smoking and my dad died from complications of severe emphysema due to smoking.  I know in my mind that my behavior is dumb; so I hide it from most everyone but immediate family.  I just do not have the desire or follow thru to actually quit right now and I realize I'm being totally irrational and ridiculous.

0 Kudos
marianne15

I had stage 2 breast cancer in 2000, not in my lymph node,very blessed,i want to be nicotene fre and have been for 3 days now,cold turkey,it's not as hard as i thought it would be ,but it has it;s moments,the thing is i have smoked for so long, i don't know how i will feel without it . great i pray. i will be praying for each of you , and for me, so lets take this virtual journey together and come out WINNERS, WITH gOD ALL THINGS ARE POSSIBLE<3

0 Kudos
msdbyrd

I am a cancer survivor. I had a lobectomy of the left lung in 2008.  I suffered major complications after surgery.  I lost my ability to eat by myself, my ability to breathe, my ability to walk, my muscles.  Six months after survery my depression was so severe I started smoking again.  Not much has improved.  I can no walk and dress myself, but have to use oxygen.  I decided it was time to quit, so in Dec. 2011 I started reducing the number of smokes per day.  As of Jan 30, 2012 I am a non-smoker.  I am wearing the nicotine patch which helps a lot.  My cravings get stronger as the day goes by.  I really want to smoke by the evenings.  I look for something to change my thoughts.  Not being able to exercise makes a big difference.  Lots of physical things can not be done so I have to look for simple things to change my thoughts.  This makes it much harder to be a non-smoker.  I am craving one right now.  I just have to breathe hard and get through the craving.  I don't want to give in.  I don't want to smoke any more.  I don't want to be attached to cigarettes.  I want to be a non-smoker.  Can anyone help?     

0 Kudos
macho-momma

hello everyone ! stage 4 uturine cancer 1990, skin cancer removed & staph infection in jaw 2003. cold turkey after 47 yrs. day 4!! tried for past 3 yrs. to quit! filters chantrix, patches etc. I would THINK about a ciggy , so therefor I,d WANT a cig. then HAVE to have a cig . so I,d smoke , there,s 2 things a smoker does that yu don,t want to smoke 1) brush yur teeth & gargle w listerine (the regular kind) yech!!! 7 eat a piece of orange!!! yech!! I cut an orange in pieces & store in tupperware(or ziplock baggy) & when I  get the urge, I want a cig. I do the deep breths , eat a piece of orange slowly & by then I,m ok or brush the heck out of teeth & gargle as long as yu can . nope w that taste in yur mouth, yu don,t want a cig  it,s working for me!!

0 Kudos
dawn4

Is anyone here participating in the American Cancer Society's 2012 "Relay for Life"?

I "plan" to participate in memory of a cousin who lost his battle to cancer in 2011, at age 36.  My 16 year old daughter has decided to walk to honor me.

My cancer story:  In 2007 I beat cervical cancer.  However in 2010 I was diagnosed with multiple myeloma. (A rare and incurable cancer of the blood plasma).  Because I had been mis-diagnosed for several months my kidneys failed and I have End Stage Renal Disease and am dependent on hemodialysis.  My current status for the cancer is stage IIIb (of III).

Living with cancer until a cure is found, celebrating one day at a time, and napping a lot!!!!

Blessings to us all!

Dawn

0 Kudos
pennrises

I had uterine cancer that was found during pregnancy in 1990. My female organs were removed after my son was born. I also suffer from magor deppressive disorder and general anxiety disorder. my mental health Dr. wants me to avoid stress at all costs. 

I've smoked so long but I read about electric cigs that don't have tar, tobacco, or smoke. They use water vapor. I chose real sweet flavors like eggnog and cinnamin bun. Flavors that taste much better then cigarrettes ever could. I take them every where and the thought of having a real cigarrette after this e-cig sounds gross now and has got me off the real thing without suffering. I still breath in and exhale what looks and feels like smoke but its just vapor. Maybe its cheating but it's giving me the quality of a life of a non smoker without suffering.

For those that still have cancer I also heard of Dr Burzynski on youtube.com and his cancer cures are miracles. He's worth looking up.  

0 Kudos