Connect with others living with health conditions

dawn4

Cancer Survivors and Fighters

Good morning, Jojo!

Labels (1)
0 Kudos
120 Replies
cbk.kilgore

Woke up yesterday morning and smoked my morning cigarette. As I sat there puffing away I thought.. I would really love to quit smoking, so I am. I lost my father 5 years ago to lung cancer. Watching the slow painful death should have motivated me to quit,but nope kept smoking. I am 30 years old and have been smoking since I was 16, half my life. I have 2 kids and would love to live long enough to enjoy my grandkids. I hope this is a successful attempt to quit. I managed to quit while pregnant with both my boys and started again after their birth. I am ready to improve my health for myself and them.I like to know I'm not alone and this is a normal feeling of lack of control. I am not sure what to do in the Times where I would usually smoke. Any suggestions would be appreciated.

0 Kudos
carol-zink

well I hope and pray I make it. I haven't had a ciarette since june 8th. I AM USING A ELECTRONIC CIG. IN 10 DAYS MY BREATHING IMPROVED 100% I REALLY THOUGHT I WAS DIEING COULD NOT CATCH MY BREATH. VERY SCARY WHEN YOULIVE A LONE. FRIENDS SAY CALL 911. WELL MY THEEROY ON THAT IS I LIVE IN A A REAL TRAILER PARKTRASHIE AND TO CALL 911 AND GO TO HOSPITAL I WOULD COME HOME tO A EMPTY HOME! A KID USE TO STEAL MY CIGS RIGHT OFF MY DECK WHEN I WOULD LEAVE THEM OUT THERE. THEN HE WENT TO MY BUTT CANAND TAKE THE BIG BUTTS. SO IF THEY ARE THAT BOLD DDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDD

0 Kudos
taleena2

Hello everyone... I'm a breast cancer survivor (4 years out)... and recently had a TIA (mini stroke) I'm only 46 so ... Looks like I need to improve my way health... and I believe that it first starts with kicking the butt habit!

I was recently in the hospital for 5 days... Appears that I have aspirin induced asthma... and it reinforced just how much I like to breathe... and if COPD is anything like what I experienced I don't want to develop it.... 

Once out of the hospital (hadn't smoked in 5 days) go figure... I lit up again... although I'm only smoking 2 - 3 cigarettes a day.... I know I need to cut them out completely (I have always been a pack to a pack & 1/2 a day smoker)... I know if I keep it up I'll be back to that amount in no time.... So I'm ready to put them down for good.

I've chosen Saturday as my quit date and looking for support!!! 

0 Kudos
bradysmom

Good afternoon Everyone. I am a one year survior of MALTS NHL. I have smoked for about10 years. Last year when I was diagnosed I quit smoking for 3 months. Sadly I fell back into the smoking a pack a day scenario. I am wanting to quit for good this time. I can't help but feel that it's not going to be cancer that kills me but it will be my smoking habit. Sad thing is that I have almost a 6 year old little boy who I do not whatsoever want to pick up this habit. I feel as my smoking controls me... =( Glad I found this group I am ready to quit for good!!!

0 Kudos
jane55

Hi all.  Reading some of your posts and can see the desperation of some of you to quit - and I relate to it all too well.  I am very lucky.  I was diagnosed with breast cancer in June, had a double mastectomy, and thankfully, my OncoType DX test came back telling me I don't need chemo as my recurrence rate is very low.  BUT - smoking.  My surgeons told me over and over again, that I must quite before the surgery I had (I didn't), and keep asking me now if I have quit.  I am tired of lying to them and telling myself as soon as 'things' get back to normal, I'll quit.  If I don't do it RIGHT NOW, I NEVER WILL.  I know from the past.  I quite when I was in my mid 20s. Had my son in my mid 30s and went back to it 3 months after he was born.  I found the biggest help back then was to use the patch, and also to replace smoking with excercie and changed my eating habbits.  

This time I want it to be the last time I quit.  I have quit for 3 days, the patch I am now allergic to, so I am sucking on these Nicorette Lozenges (I hate gum).  They are helping A LOG.  My doctor also gave me a prescription for Xanax to get me through the first 2 - 3 weeks which really are the hardest.  I remember someone telling me years ago when I quit that she had quit too.  She was much further along than I was. She told me this:  "I took it in 3's.  I knew it was a huge milestone to make it a 3 days and I went out and treated myself to a massage.  Then 3 months.  I bought myself a new dress and shoes.  Then by the time 3 years came, I didn't even realize it had been 3 years.  If you can make it 3 months, then you've made it.  It only gets easier.  And I found then she was RIGHT on the mark.  It does leave you - this longing to have a cigarette.  It is getting through not just the first few days or weeks, it is getting through the first few months.  

Believe me - I have made a million and one excuses to keep smoking - to even return to it after I had my son and was so lonely (my husband was always traveling for work), everyone I knew worked, and here I was at home with a cholicy screaming baby.  I felt so sorry for myself, I went and sabatoged what I had completed so successfully by going back to something I no longer was addicted to.  I felt the addiction come back with the first drag of that first cigarette.  

Right now I am on DAY 3 of quitting, yet it feels like FOREVER to me and yes, I am longing to have a cigarette so badly.  But - I'll go and lie in bed, suck on one of these lozenges for awhile, and maybe do something I enjoy like work on my jewelry which I design.  The cravings pass.  It is getting through them and knowing that eventually they will become so infrequent if not completely disappear.  

My son is 15.  I want to be here to see him graduate HS.  To meet his first girlfriend. To see what kind of man he becomes.  I want to be here because life is truly beautiful. I love my life and I know that it can get tedious at times, nervewracking, challenging, etc ... but my perspective must remain positive.  If I keep up that positive perspective, I know I can do this and so can YOU!  

0 Kudos
321clear

My first day again. The 17 year old version of me would be really sick to see how fall I fell if I keep making excuses for something I know is expensive in every way. How odd to realize you are really addicted to something. My frst day and my last firstday. I can't make excuses for smoking when it's obvious to everyone  that we really need to keep our own word - especially to ourselves. I want this to be a time of change. I read stories of people losing weight and the next thing you know they are a trainer! I would like to do just that.

0 Kudos
merryc3

help....today is day one....using the patch...facing lung cancer surgery on nov 22.......am on anti  depression meds and anti anxiety meds before I even quit jiust to help me cope with health issues.....I had 3 brain aneurysms repaired in Aug....that's when they found a nodule on my lung.......soooooo how insane would it be to smoke when u may be diagnosed with lung cancer!!!! I am on  21mg patch but I'm trying hard not to light up.....i know the way to be a non smoker is to never lite another one....that just prolongs the torture. When I was in the hosp for my aneurysms I didn't crave a cig.....knew it was impossible to smoke there....trying to recreate that mindset!

Please let me know what works for you.....

merry

0 Kudos
seagull2

I haven't quit yet. 3 yr breast cancer survivor. My mother has recently gone on oxygen for COPD. It's to sad to watch her have to carry or wheel oxygen around with her. She quit 12 yrs ago but still developed COPD. I question whats the use of quitting after 35 yrs of smoking if the damage is already done. Any remarks or helpful responses? thank you. 

0 Kudos
tarbori

hey all

i wish success to all of you in your attempts and will pray for those who are having serious health issues.

i am a new to the forum and will start quitting on 16th december. so reading the stuff as how can i miss the slip ups and triggers.

i hope with the encouragement from you guys, i will succeed in quitting as it has made my life a hell

0 Kudos
bobbyann

Morning,

New to the group, and still smoking.I set my quit date and am spazzing evey time I think of it. Oct. 2009 lost my husband to lung cancer (smoking related), Jan 2019 lost a third of my right lung to cancer( not smoking related). I'm still cancer free but for how long? I will guit but not haveing fun.Your blogs give me alot too think about an it helps.

0 Kudos