cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Connect with others living with health conditions

CPAP treatment

Well, got back from the doctor today and the results of my overnight sleep study means that CPCP treatment is recommended. From the study, I found out that first of all, without the treatment my night time oxygen saturation is about 87% and I haven’t actually gotten any REM sleep without the treatment.

However, the treatment changes things quite a bit. My blood oxygen levels stay at 91% and I do achieve REM sleep. No wonder I felt so refreshed the day after the sleep study. It was probably the first night where I’d actually had any real sleep at all!

Though it’s a new thing to get used to, I know that it will help with a lot of things and after what most of us have been through in our lives, what’s one more little change?

The other thing noticed was that I probably won’t need oxygen at night except during any future COPD exacerbations. Time will tell!

Just thought I’d share the latest in my life.

ONWARD TO FREEDOM!!!

Chuck

Labels (1)
Tags (1)
0 Kudos
16 Replies
YoungAtHeart

A friend  had to get used to using a CPAP machine, and he started just using it in the afternoons and resting with it on.   He gradually increased the length of time and then, at night, he would only use it until it became irritating - took if off for the rest of that night.  Eventually he was content to leave it on all night.The type of mask is important, depending on how you breathe.  If you breathe with your mouth open (which lots of snoring folks do ), then you need a full face one.

It sounds like it should be very helpful to you -glad you found out about it.

A word of caution, too, to those who might need it and not want to fool with it.  A friend's husband has been diagnosed with dementia - and the only cause they can come with is that his apnea caused one portion of his brain to go without oxygen for years!

I ordered a self test before I had insurance and had the results sent to my Dr. In one night I stopped breathing 400 times. I had a sleep study to determine how mush air pressure was required to keep my airways open and have been using a machine since 2013

Good for you, Chuck!I ditto what Nancy said. If you have doubts - get tested. If you need CPAP - find a way to adjust. Brains need Oxygen!

Fortunately for me, I've had to wear a dusk mask most of the time when I'm working in order to keep my lungs free of dust. And I am planning on using the full mask one. I had no trouble sleeping with it for my sleep test. I actually had a friend die from apnea, though he was way overweight. But I do understand that it's a procedure that should be followed, especially since my diagnosis was considered "severe".

0 Kudos
Bree19

Hi Chuck.  I've been using my C-Pap m/c since 2001.  Sleep Apnoea is a family thing with us. Both brothers, Dad, Maternal uncle and 2 cousins.  

I was like a new person when I left the sleep lab after the 2nd night. I'd forgotten what 'well-rested' felt like in the morning.  I apparently, on the first night woke up every 12 seconds all night.  My stats had some unbelievable number of minutes that I dozed - 24 minutes the whole night!  No wonder I looked washed out for so long!

I asked for a try-out with full-face mask, nose mask and settled on what they call pillows.  Small silicon cushions that rest just inside your nose.  I felt very uncomfortable with full face and learnt VERY quickly to sleep with my mouth shut - too wonderful...no dry throat in the morning. 

As far as getting used to it - in the beginning I'd take it off in my sleep but that wakes you immediately because your throat closes up.  So you put it back on very fast.  Now, I occasionally pull it off but there's no panic that goes with it (except when we have load shedding and the power goes off - very frequent in good old S Africa).  Now I have a permanently charged back-up battery and if the power goes I'm not even aware of it - the m/c just switches over automatically to the battery.

Too much information?

Took my mind off 3rd day cravings for a bit.

I think Mark will probably move this to Community Help?  All good.  I can't move anything around yet.

Or should this have been a PM?  Too long right?

Bree

Bree19‌ This is a Group where you can write a book if you want to! I found your comment very helpful especially how to deal with loss of electricity. Thanks for sharing!

Knowledge is power, and this group believes in that power. Thank you for all of you insight. To be honest, after how good I felt after a night with CPAP, I'm actually looking forward to getting started with this treatment. I tried the pillows and didn't really like them, although they told me I can always change my mask choice down the road if I want to.

CommunityAdmin
Community Manager
Community Manager

Bree19 Nope not moving this to Mark‌. It's posted in the right place by chuck-2-20-2011 .

Mark
EX Community Manager

EX Community Admin Team
0 Kudos
elvan

I am not on CPAP but I do use an oxygen concentrator at night.  If we lose power or the cat unplugs it, a very loud alarm goes off.  I have a back up oxygen tank that will last 8 hours.  I noticed that I felt much brighter when I first used it. I would awaken feeling like I was rested...not so much any more.  I don't know why.  Oh well, maybe I need to get more exercise during the waking hours, I wouldn't be surprised.

0 Kudos