cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Connect with others living with health conditions

CPAP Treatment - 9 days in

Hello all,

I’ve decided to continue blogging about CPAP treatment in case anyone else is curious about the process and how it might affect a person, though I’ve come to understand that this treatment is a lot like smoking. Everybody responds differently.

For me, I was excited to try this treatment, mainly because I’d already learned of the health problems that sleep apnea can cause, and secondly because I learned of the daily benefits of this treatment.

When I first started, eight days ago, it was kind of interesting getting used to the mask and the machine. My first night that data recorded showed a drop of apneas to 15 an hour, rather than the 35-40 an hour that I was getting without CPAP.

Then the number of apneas started climbing drastically for two days until my respiratory therapist and I decided to add supplemental oxygen. This created a drop down to the original 15 apneas a night. Since then, the numbers have continued to decline and as of last night, I’m down to 8 apneas a night.

I’ll be seeing a doctor on Monday to go over what the results are so far and again on the 24th for a thirty day evaluation. I’ll let you know what I learn there.

I will say that the first couple of nights that the apneas dropped in frequency, I woke up really groggy. This would last for a couple of hours and then renewed energy would kick in. Today I woke up feeling refreshed and full of energy for the first time! And I only woke up once during the night, unlike the several times a night that I usually do.

In a way, these first days are letting me know the quality of life that I was missing. Like quitting smoking, you never know what you’re missing until you experience the alternative. Is the mask cumbersome? For me, not really, other than when I get an itch under it.

I will say that the benefits I’m receiving from the treatment are so impressive that I’ll never go without it again, if I can help it. I really was a zombie for a long time, and I never even realized it. All I know is that for most of the day, my mind was dozing even though my eyes were open. It’s kind of hard to explain but it felt like I was asleep even when I knew I wasn’t.

I attributed it to getting older. I know better now! Well, that’s about it for now. Have a wonderful day,

Chuck

Labels (1)
Tags (1)
0 Kudos
12 Replies

My brother's Dr. told him every time you stop breathing, your heart has to work under the same physical strain as if you were climbing Mount Everest. It's being starved of Oxygen.

0 Kudos

I'm glad you got started with this Chuck.

0 Kudos

Thanks Dale. Me too! I think apnea is something that's to easy to overlook by the medical profession. The clinics here actually made a push to identify as many people with this as possible, with incredibly positive results for so many people. I think it's because we live at 8000 ft. that they decided it was important up here.

I think that anyone who has this condition and takes the treatments seriously will discover a whole new life. This treatment is truly a quality of life improvement on top of the health conditions that are improved along with it. 

A life saver that is ignored to much, I think! Gla

0 Kudos

people have also been brainwashed to think someone has to be overweight to have apnea.

The soft palate drops as we age and that is what blocks the breathing.

0 Kudos

You're right about that! Though I know a friend of mine died from it, and he was obese. Back then, I believed that it was entirely caused by weight. But I know I'm not obese and I know you're not either from the video's you've posted in the past. Seems like every ailment has to have a stigma attached. Just glad that apnea is starting to become more known by more people! Treating it can truly be a lifesaver.

0 Kudos
gardenancy8

Glad to hear it's working well for you Chuck!  I think my husband needs it, at night I have to elbow him several times a night, it sounds like he stops breathing!  After I elbow him, he comes to and starts like choking and then he will roll on his side and it is a little better! Anyhoot, I think he needs to be checked out, he doesn't smoke, but he has severe allergies. 

0 Kudos

I think you're right! What you described sounds like the most classic symptoms of sleep apnea. He could start out by doing an overnight blood oxygen test. All that entails is a small device on the finger that is attached to a cuff that's worn like a bracelet. It will show how many times he quits breathing. From there, once the lack of breathing is determined, a home sleep study is done. It's a little more invasive because it also measures the brain waves and heart along with oxygen levels and breathing. Maybe you can talk him into it?

If it's anything like me, he'll probably be surprised at the results!

Bree19

Hi Chuck

It's interesting hearing about someone else's experience with C-Pap.   Everything about it for me has been positive since I started using it.  But I'm especially interested in your m/c and the recorded data being analysed somewhere.  Did I get that right?  Yip my m/c is  circa 2000.  Yours has had 17 years to improve so I'm very curious to see it and show/enquire at my sleeplab.   There is no follow-up at all after you've been set up at home. here.  I've gone back once for them to reset/adjust the air pressure because I was falling out of bed and/or waking up a lot again.    Any chance of a pic?  No problem, if not.

Also gardenancy8 PLEASE encourage your husband  to get a referral to a sleeplab, or however it works in the States.  It really IS an important issue.

Bree

0 Kudos

I'll try to get a picture to you. The device transmits sleep data daily to the machines web site using WIFI. From there it can be accessed by me and my health care providers. The basic information transmitted is how long the machine was being used, if the mask seal was good, number of apneas and how many times the mask is removed through the night. This also works to prove compliance of use for insurance companies.

It also records wave data if you have a memory card installed in it. This can be used for a variety of things, like determining the exact moment that the apnea occurs. I believe the machine is called ResMed 10. Here's a link to the site if you'd like to check it out: CPAP machines and non-invasive ventilation 

Havea wonderful day!

Chuck

0 Kudos