cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Mandolinrain

What made this nest?????

So tonight I walked out the front door to go throw apples out to the edge of the woods for the deer. We have a little sidewalk across from the front door that I have a long mulched flower bed against it. I did not see this nest yesterday, so it is new. I see not a thing flying around it. It is raised about 1 and half inches from the ground width of it is about 3-4 inches. The hole is centered and about an inch wide or slightly less perhaps? In all the years at the farm, I have never seen a nest like this and I have seen many yellow jacket nest in the ground in the pastures...but this?????? It almost resembles puppy chow with a hole in the center...and no, my dog was not in that area.,..or any other dog. HELP!

Would a hummingbird do that?

Meanwhile I am going to be watching it with binoculars in the morning to see what the heck made it.

IMG_0268.jpg

Labels (1)
Tags (1)
92 Replies
MarilynH

YIKES the first thing I thought of was ground hornets but I have no idea really!!!! 

Mandolinrain

I dont see the activity though that ground hornets or yellow jackets normally do. In fact I see NO activity, ......yet 😮

0 Kudos
Mandolinrain

I think Posamari is correct...and Nancy. I have been watching it and there's no activity so it sound like a solitary bee. I read the arcticle you guys sent and they seem like good bees to have around but I sure don want an invasion of these ugly nest in my flower beds, so I will let this one stay for now...I just hope she does not spread the word that theres an abundance of land to build on

JACKIE1-25-15

Could be a ground wasp nest

Mandolinrain

I have been watching it all day and nothing flying in or out of it. Weird. Maybe its not a bee at all....maybe a mole????

0 Kudos
AnnetteMM

Yep, keep your eyeballs away from that!

Giulia

Well if it's a mole or a vole, there should be a tunnel of soft earth running from it.

Mandolinrain

no soft earth around it

0 Kudos
JACKIE1-25-15

Moles do not build holes with outside protection of the entrances as depicted in the picture.  They just burrow holes and make tunnels.  I would stay away from it and watch your back.  lol 

Mandolinrain

I thought of mole as well but we had them at other house and they did have several mounds of dirt, lots soft mounds. This has mound but area was not soft around t nor are there other mounds, which moles usually have

0 Kudos