cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Mandolinrain

What made this nest?????

So tonight I walked out the front door to go throw apples out to the edge of the woods for the deer. We have a little sidewalk across from the front door that I have a long mulched flower bed against it. I did not see this nest yesterday, so it is new. I see not a thing flying around it. It is raised about 1 and half inches from the ground width of it is about 3-4 inches. The hole is centered and about an inch wide or slightly less perhaps? In all the years at the farm, I have never seen a nest like this and I have seen many yellow jacket nest in the ground in the pastures...but this?????? It almost resembles puppy chow with a hole in the center...and no, my dog was not in that area.,..or any other dog. HELP!

Would a hummingbird do that?

Meanwhile I am going to be watching it with binoculars in the morning to see what the heck made it.

IMG_0268.jpg

Labels (1)
Tags (1)
92 Replies
Giulia

We have the colorful striped skinks here too.  And some other frogs that cling to windows.  This is what I call the Buddha frog because he sits on his hands and looks like a little rotund Buddha.

IMG_5136.JPG

IMG_7981.JPG

and a couple that were  out for a hot date on my office window.

1.JPG

and one other version of the thumbnail frog...  or perhaps I should name  him the pinkie frog,  

Wee toad 4.JPG

Too bad you don't have a picture of George, @AndieK .

0 Kudos
Mandolinrain

I believe you. I squashed it weeks ago and it has not returned nor are there any other around. I did google it and it DOES look like crayfish hole. I was SO SCARED the things would be everywhere in the yard, but they are not, for now

amberallen931

It looks like a yellow jacket nest.  Oh no!

0 Kudos