cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
katherineu

Weight Gain and Advice

I have exercised all my life so when I quit smoking back in January I just trucked along with my regular routine at the gym.  Before I quit smoking I was always roughly ten pounds overweight because I never got back down to my real weight after having kids, give or take ten pounds I could stand to lose.  As of today I am 17 pounds fatter and life cannot suck anymore as a 40 year old fat woman.  This means I am about 30 pounds fat and entering the obesity stage!   I really thought I was fat back in January but this takes the cake, my clothes are tight, fat is sticking out everywhere, I cannot even look in a mirror without getting repulsed.  I never weighed this much during two of my pregnancies and maybe that is what is killing me is that I am fatter than I was pregnant, really?  Is this really happening?  I am considering my options, which is going back to smoking so I can go back to being 20 pounds lighter because I have DONE everything, drink water all day, eat real food, and exercise.  Is there any woman out here 40 and over struggling with weight, please give me advice because I cannot and I refuse to live my life as a fat person I cannot do it.  I have never been overweight and I am not even going to start at 40.

25 Replies
jbliesmer

Are you doing the exact same exercise regime you always have? Might I suggest mixing it up? Try a kick boxing class. Try rowing instead of running. Try jump rope. Sometimes our bodies need the shock that doing something new provides to get us over a hump or get us loosing again.

Mandolinrain

I understand where your at. I turn 60 in June so I am a tad older, lol. I used to be extremely involved in body building in my 30-40's and pretty much stayed in shape until diagnosed with MS in 2007. Anyway. I didn't quit smoking until 2014 and while I was at a very good weight my muscles were not anywhere near where they used to be. I just cannot lift like I used to. When I stopped smoking in 2014 I decided I was not going to limit anything I wanted to eat or drink because for me it was more important I stop smoking. I knew what I would need to do to lose excess weight when I was ready because it was familiar territory. 

Water is your friend. Anything that makes you breath harder ( I like brisk walking ) is your friend. You cannot target fat loss with lifting weights or specific movements. Your body will lose weight first where it was gained last. We are all different. Fat is lost through your exhalation and urine and body sweat. Period. Aerobics will increase exhalation as your heart rate increases. I personally find that you can achieve this by 10-20 min aerobic movement of your choice. I like power walking and jumping on a mini tramp. I may do this sometimes 3-4x a day.

The first couple of weeks of drinking water may make your need to urinate more frequently but you will adjust, I promise. You will also see your skin get softer, clearer, and you will have more energy and less hunger for crappy foods.

Foods...I don't eat a lot. Period. Our Nation has been brought up that you need 3 meals a day and we are among the top ranking in obesity. Go figure, I don't buy it. I am also not impressed with Organic foods. I grow what I can when I can, but science tells me that clouds move and they rain over Organic farms as well. Waste of money IMO.

My feeling is I eat when I am hungry and you need to determine what that is. Not starved.....hungry. I don't eat more than will fit in the palm of my hand at a time. Partially because I also have GERD and It just works for me. I also do not eat after 6pm. I love sweets but limit them to one a day and it mostly is a gala apple. Feel free to message me if you want any more tips. This has worked for me. I am rather a Paleo/Vegan mix type diet which is a lifestyle for me. I also will eat whatever I want on social occasions. I am 5'9 and small boned and weigh around 135 ish.....just don't have the heavy duty muscle I once sported, lol

Good luck, hope this helps some.

0 Kudos
MarilynH

I was wondering how you are doing since this post was written ,it would be wonderful to hear from you. katherineu

0 Kudos
Mandolinrain

lol. I just now noticed how old this was...was not sure how it got bummed to top?

MarilynH

I know I've commented on quite a few of these old blogs too, I wish there was a way to filter them somehow because I don't always think to check the date before commenting. Mandolinrain, I posted a pic of my googly eyes on my blog for you.

Mandolinrain

Oh YAY....I LOVE those eyes