cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
jdesco311

Let's Get Moving Challenge

Jump to solution

Today is a happy day darn it!   I've been smoke free for 38 days today.  I've been on my pity potty just moping around.  I get home from work and lay down and watch television all night.  I sleep the weekend away.   I have no interest in doing anything at all.  Sometimes I don't even want to leave the office because there's nothing to look forward to when I get home.  (I used to sit on my beautiful deck and have a wonderful glass of red wine with my smokes, before I start dinner).  Not anymore.  It's the depression I experience ever time I quit.   For those of you who don't know me, I've quit many times (one time for four years!)  It's like there is simply no more enjoyment in life.  I can't enjoy a glass of wine because it is my number one trigger -- alcohol.  I've learned that lesson  more than once.   I'm far from an alcoholic, but I do enjoy going out and having a few drinks on occasion (in addition to my glass or two of red when I get home).  I haven't had a drink since my quit date of May 1, 2017.   BLAH, BLAH, BLAH...

BUT NOT THIS TIME!!!!!  No, no, no.  This time I'm going to do something different.  I refuse to go down the same road.  What's that famous saying by Einstein?  "Insanity is doing the same thing over and over again and expecting a different result?"  Well, insanity no more my friends.  I've decided to get off my couch and get my lazy butt moving.  This weekend I'm going to start living an active lifestyle.  I used to enjoy hiking, biking and kayaking and I do none of it anymore.  Everybody says that one of the best things for depression is getting outside and exercising.  Spring and sprung and there is no better time than now to start this challenge.

I'm looking for fellow Ex'ers to join me in my activity challenge.    I'm calling it the "Let's Get Moving" Challenge because I hate the word exercise.  Not only do I hate the word, I hate actually exercising.  LOL.  But really, all joking aside, I really do hate it.  But, I know it's the best thing for me.  I don't want to fail again.  I will fail if I don't try something different to get me out of this funk.

So, I challenge all of you to join me.  I'm going to try to "get moving" at least 4 times a week.  I'll stay accountable to all of you, which in turn will make me accountable to myself.  I promise to post my accomplishments and I welcome you to do the same.  Now that it should be easier for us to breathe, whadda-ya-say?  Do you want to take this journey with me?  Any activity counts, as long as you get off your butt and get your heart pumping.  Who knows, maybe we'll lose a little weight or a couple of inches in the meantime.

Labels (1)
2,527 Replies
jdesco311

Thanks for joining me.  Glad to know I'm not alone with the depression side effect.

jdesco311

Jackie!!!!  You're awesome!!!!

jdesco311

67!!!  I can't use the excuse that I'm 54 now.  LOL.  You're my inspiration!

JACKIE1-25-15

LET'S GET MOVING!!!!!

ACTION!!

0 Kudos
jbliesmer

I like to move it, move it!
I work out everyday! I love this challenge!

bonniebee

I was walking almost daily even in the winter when I first quit .You are very smart to realize that getting the move on will  help your depression and save your quit besides being a very healthy thing to do ! 

I have not been walking anymore except with the doggies and I don't count that as true exercise because they have to stop and sniff and poke along especially now that they are turning 11 years .....77 years old in our human years !

I have been gardening does that count ? I know turning over my compost is a work out and it kills my back ! I would like to get back to walking soon . 

Also in the beginning of my quit  it really helped me not to gain to much weight .sayings quit smoking mice.jpg

bonniebee

You are amazing Jackie !!!!

Giulia

On the 14th I can ditch my crutch/cane and will only have to continue to wear the boot (which I've been in due to achilles surgery) for another two weeks after that.  But once I can get rid of the cane I plan to spend HOURS outside doing everything I can.  And YES, I'll join you in the exercise dept!  I've turned into a sloth and I hate it!  Onward and upward and happyward!

JACKIE1-25-15

Okay, yesterday I rode my bicycle for 15 minutes.  
Does that count for my # 3 challenge.?  I also spent 2 hrs cleaning my vehicle vacuuming, washing wiping.  Does that count?  Took over 7296 steps yesterday, does that count?  Who is up for the challenge today?

elvan

Good morning, yesterday, I worked out in my friend's pool for just under an hour.  I also did grocery shopping and today I am going to work.  I already did the dishes this morning, scooped the litter box...eeeewwww, and took the recycling out.  I will be on my feet for a minimum of 5 hours and I will be sweeping and cleaning the cafe this morning.  That had BETTER count.  Tomorrow, I will get a call from the aqua therapist at an assisted living place up the road and will make arrangements for therapy sessions for as long and as often as she recommends.  I will also be going to my friend's pool when I can.  Admittedly, I like my LONE workouts best because I can concentrate on the number of times I have repeated an exercise and I can evaluate how I feel.  I am hoping to work out very regularly during the summer...after that...we will go from there.