cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
jdesco311

Let's Get Moving Challenge

Jump to solution

Today is a happy day darn it!   I've been smoke free for 38 days today.  I've been on my pity potty just moping around.  I get home from work and lay down and watch television all night.  I sleep the weekend away.   I have no interest in doing anything at all.  Sometimes I don't even want to leave the office because there's nothing to look forward to when I get home.  (I used to sit on my beautiful deck and have a wonderful glass of red wine with my smokes, before I start dinner).  Not anymore.  It's the depression I experience ever time I quit.   For those of you who don't know me, I've quit many times (one time for four years!)  It's like there is simply no more enjoyment in life.  I can't enjoy a glass of wine because it is my number one trigger -- alcohol.  I've learned that lesson  more than once.   I'm far from an alcoholic, but I do enjoy going out and having a few drinks on occasion (in addition to my glass or two of red when I get home).  I haven't had a drink since my quit date of May 1, 2017.   BLAH, BLAH, BLAH...

BUT NOT THIS TIME!!!!!  No, no, no.  This time I'm going to do something different.  I refuse to go down the same road.  What's that famous saying by Einstein?  "Insanity is doing the same thing over and over again and expecting a different result?"  Well, insanity no more my friends.  I've decided to get off my couch and get my lazy butt moving.  This weekend I'm going to start living an active lifestyle.  I used to enjoy hiking, biking and kayaking and I do none of it anymore.  Everybody says that one of the best things for depression is getting outside and exercising.  Spring and sprung and there is no better time than now to start this challenge.

I'm looking for fellow Ex'ers to join me in my activity challenge.    I'm calling it the "Let's Get Moving" Challenge because I hate the word exercise.  Not only do I hate the word, I hate actually exercising.  LOL.  But really, all joking aside, I really do hate it.  But, I know it's the best thing for me.  I don't want to fail again.  I will fail if I don't try something different to get me out of this funk.

So, I challenge all of you to join me.  I'm going to try to "get moving" at least 4 times a week.  I'll stay accountable to all of you, which in turn will make me accountable to myself.  I promise to post my accomplishments and I welcome you to do the same.  Now that it should be easier for us to breathe, whadda-ya-say?  Do you want to take this journey with me?  Any activity counts, as long as you get off your butt and get your heart pumping.  Who knows, maybe we'll lose a little weight or a couple of inches in the meantime.

Labels (1)
2,527 Replies
shashort

Yesterday I walked 3/4 of a mile. Awe so sad when I was up to 3 miles. No worries I know I will get back up there.  Oh yeah up to the challenge today. Will be back later to tell what I did. My goal is to wash my car in and out and try to push the walk up to a mile. Also to give both dogs a bath does that count I hsve to chase them first to get them in the tub hahaha.

JACKIE1-25-15

3 days and counting

jbliesmer

Sunday I ran 3.72 miles in 37  minutes.

I rode my bike 4 miles.

JACKIE1-25-15

Amazing. 

0 Kudos
elvan

I worked yesterday and I was on my feet for over six hours, walking, cleaning, wiping down tables...I really felt it by the end of the day.  Today, I worked out in my friend's pool for 45 minutes, I would have gone on a little longer but she came and wanted to sit and talk so I got out of the pool and sat with her for a few minutes and then I decided I should really go home and get some things done.  Tomorrow, I have my first appointment with the aqua therapist at the assisted living facility up the road from my house.  I am looking forward to the guidance and suggestions from a trained therapist.

shashort

I forgot to come back lastnight I cleaned car in and out  and walked 1 mile on Sunday. Today went to strength training class tonight which was 1 hour class.  Wow elvan‌ I am so glad that aqua therapist got you in quick. Looking forward to hearing how you did and the tips you got. jbliesmer‌ wow impressive run and ride.

elvan

shashort  Thanks, Sharon.  I am getting ready to leave, looking forward to this even though it is so hot and humid outside that I am miserable.  I would rather stay in air conditioning but this is going to be GOOD for me.  I will let you know.  Yes, Jaime is a wonder!

Cleaning a car inside and out is hard work...certainly as hard as any work out.

Love,

Ellen

Diannnnn

I'd like in on this action.  I had to cut back on my exercise when I realized I wasn't taking in enough calories to support walking and biking as well as my normal 10,000-14,000 steps I do during the day.  Tonight I will be biking as I ate at CiCi's buffet with the boys.  I haven't had pizza in a month and it was Awesome!  I may have eaten more than I intended...

I am currently doing Yoga once a week, bumping it up to twice a week on Monday/Thursday with home yoga time as soon as I a: take the time to look up a Hatha Yoga Video or b: get more experience under my belt.  I've got some of the basics, but having only taken 2 classes, I'm not 100% sure if I remember all the poses and moves.

I am using the Google Fit app to track my "workouts" and steps during the day, as well as logging my weight.  I was worried about losing too much while my body was healing.  Cutting back on the workouts helped as I only lost 9 lbs in 3 weeks. Now I need to drop about 15-20lbs and hopefully I can toss the blood pressure medicine. Now that I am off the steroids, (last 5mg dose this morning), I suspect my appetite will return and my hyper energy will dissipate.  Probably will need to step up my exercise levels. I doubt I will ever reach Iron Woman level like Jackie....you are impressive Ma'am!  You all rock actually! 

Diannnnn

So I did some yoga stretches to deal with a craving, then the parental units got home. After reading about and deciding to join the movin' gang, I decided it was time to get back on my bicycle. 23 minutes, 2.65 miles. Legs burned, sweat dripped, but managed to control my breathing. Best part was that when I was done, I didn't want to smoke! Had a snack with a little red wine spritzer over ice. Thought about a cigarette, but said no because it interferes with the taste. Hahaha...shazaam!!

I can do this, I know it! We all can dag-nabit!

Kudos to jdesco for getting us motivated to move!

JACKIE1-25-15

Shazamm it is!  Great job.  Loving your perseverance.  You are a winner in my book.  As Mike.n.Atlanta‌ would say keep on keepin on.