cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
jdesco311

Let's Get Moving Challenge

Jump to solution

Today is a happy day darn it!   I've been smoke free for 38 days today.  I've been on my pity potty just moping around.  I get home from work and lay down and watch television all night.  I sleep the weekend away.   I have no interest in doing anything at all.  Sometimes I don't even want to leave the office because there's nothing to look forward to when I get home.  (I used to sit on my beautiful deck and have a wonderful glass of red wine with my smokes, before I start dinner).  Not anymore.  It's the depression I experience ever time I quit.   For those of you who don't know me, I've quit many times (one time for four years!)  It's like there is simply no more enjoyment in life.  I can't enjoy a glass of wine because it is my number one trigger -- alcohol.  I've learned that lesson  more than once.   I'm far from an alcoholic, but I do enjoy going out and having a few drinks on occasion (in addition to my glass or two of red when I get home).  I haven't had a drink since my quit date of May 1, 2017.   BLAH, BLAH, BLAH...

BUT NOT THIS TIME!!!!!  No, no, no.  This time I'm going to do something different.  I refuse to go down the same road.  What's that famous saying by Einstein?  "Insanity is doing the same thing over and over again and expecting a different result?"  Well, insanity no more my friends.  I've decided to get off my couch and get my lazy butt moving.  This weekend I'm going to start living an active lifestyle.  I used to enjoy hiking, biking and kayaking and I do none of it anymore.  Everybody says that one of the best things for depression is getting outside and exercising.  Spring and sprung and there is no better time than now to start this challenge.

I'm looking for fellow Ex'ers to join me in my activity challenge.    I'm calling it the "Let's Get Moving" Challenge because I hate the word exercise.  Not only do I hate the word, I hate actually exercising.  LOL.  But really, all joking aside, I really do hate it.  But, I know it's the best thing for me.  I don't want to fail again.  I will fail if I don't try something different to get me out of this funk.

So, I challenge all of you to join me.  I'm going to try to "get moving" at least 4 times a week.  I'll stay accountable to all of you, which in turn will make me accountable to myself.  I promise to post my accomplishments and I welcome you to do the same.  Now that it should be easier for us to breathe, whadda-ya-say?  Do you want to take this journey with me?  Any activity counts, as long as you get off your butt and get your heart pumping.  Who knows, maybe we'll lose a little weight or a couple of inches in the meantime.

Labels (1)
2,527 Replies
elvan

YoungAtHeart‌ I don't think it has anything to do with me deserving it or not...it is just another thing to deal with and I will survive, one way or another.  I love you.

0 Kudos
Showiestodin

I am sorry to hear this. What a decision. I will keep you in my prayers. You are an awe fully sweet person Nancy. I pray you will get peace over this situation. I have missed you. I have missed your sense of humor. I have missed your advice to everyone and your pleasant out look. Thanks for sharing. I do wish there were something I could say or do to help cheer you up during this difficult time.

Sincerely,

Cathy

0 Kudos
Showiestodin

Hey lady. I am sorry to hear your having such a difficult time in your life. I will keep you in my prayers. 

0 Kudos
elvan

Thanks, Cathy, I can ALWAYS use prayers, we ALL can.

0 Kudos
JACKIE1-25-15

Well MOVERS it is back to basics.  Going to do the walk thing, may not run.  I will see.  Wish me luck. Have'nt done much since the holidays.  Got to Keep it MOVING.  See you later.  I will let you know how it goes. Going to put on some really warm clothes.  It will be good for me to see "the seniors".  lol. 

0 Kudos
Roller831

I went to strength class yesterday and am very much feeling it today!  I was lat pulling 140 lbs., Farmer carry 45 lbs. per hand, back squats of 95 lbs., and 24 lb. kettlebell swings.  I am going to a hybrid workout small group class tonight which is more dumbbell work vs. barbell and cardio stuff.  I didn't really stop moving through the holidays but set some new goals in late December.

JACKIE1-25-15

You Go Girl.  I was able to do the cardio.  Not many attended class to day.  1st one back for the holiday and it is cold outside.  "Seniors" stayed home. 

0 Kudos
elvan

roller831‌ WOW, I am seriously impressed.  I went back to my bike yesterday, first time in over two weeks, I think.  Between all of the baking and shopping and Christmas stuff...I did my ten miles, thought it might kill me and I went on to do upper body work out, it was probably a bit much...I sure needed some pain medication afterwards, along with some ice packs and in this weather, ice is not very appealing.  I am going right back to my ten miles but it might be sporadic because of appointments and other demands on my time...but I am going to keep on going and building myself back up.  I AM going to try to allow for some naps sometimes, haven't done that in a while either, much to my body's dismay.

Good for you JACKIE1-25-15‌. looks like you might be getting some SNOW.  We NEED snow or rain or something, it is so dry here that it's terrible.  We have been in a drought since summer.

Back to "real" life for those of us who took a break...seniors and all!

XOXO,

Ellen

Sootie

elvan‌     YoungAtHeart

So sorry to hear both of your troubles......Nancy---my husband had implants and is very happy with them. We just put them on a credit card and paid them off little by little. He had them done several years ago. He has always had "soft" teeth....takes such good care of them but still they would break and decay. ME? I must have teeth harder than rock because they are strong and I have never had a tooth extracted....even have ll my wisdom teeth. But Charlie had to make the dentures/implant decision in his 50's and I just could not see him managing dentures! It worked for him......just my story.

I have not moved for physical exercise since my Mom died. I have no get up and go. Hoping it returns soon as it really does make you feel so much better. I MISS my morning walks...but just can't make myself go. On top of which....it has been below zero here every morning for over a week. Still, I need to GET MOVING!!!

0 Kudos
elvan

Sootie‌ Thanks...I just have to TRY to ease back in to my workouts instead of expecting to do it all on the first day.  I think that is a great testimonial that your husband has done really well with his implants.  I wish that had been an option for me but my jaw would not hold the pegs or whatever they call them.  

It's a little cold for morning walks up there...hey, it's too cold here too, then again, I can't walk outside anyways.  I DID do my ten miles and some upper body but I am a ways from my full work out.  It was a little less difficult today.  I NEED to do it to keep my joints from getting stiffer and to try to strengthen my back...not sure that part is working well but I am trying.  

You'll feel like walking when there is a break in the weather...whenever THAT might be.  

Ellen