cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
jdesco311

Let's Get Moving Challenge

Jump to solution

Today is a happy day darn it!   I've been smoke free for 38 days today.  I've been on my pity potty just moping around.  I get home from work and lay down and watch television all night.  I sleep the weekend away.   I have no interest in doing anything at all.  Sometimes I don't even want to leave the office because there's nothing to look forward to when I get home.  (I used to sit on my beautiful deck and have a wonderful glass of red wine with my smokes, before I start dinner).  Not anymore.  It's the depression I experience ever time I quit.   For those of you who don't know me, I've quit many times (one time for four years!)  It's like there is simply no more enjoyment in life.  I can't enjoy a glass of wine because it is my number one trigger -- alcohol.  I've learned that lesson  more than once.   I'm far from an alcoholic, but I do enjoy going out and having a few drinks on occasion (in addition to my glass or two of red when I get home).  I haven't had a drink since my quit date of May 1, 2017.   BLAH, BLAH, BLAH...

BUT NOT THIS TIME!!!!!  No, no, no.  This time I'm going to do something different.  I refuse to go down the same road.  What's that famous saying by Einstein?  "Insanity is doing the same thing over and over again and expecting a different result?"  Well, insanity no more my friends.  I've decided to get off my couch and get my lazy butt moving.  This weekend I'm going to start living an active lifestyle.  I used to enjoy hiking, biking and kayaking and I do none of it anymore.  Everybody says that one of the best things for depression is getting outside and exercising.  Spring and sprung and there is no better time than now to start this challenge.

I'm looking for fellow Ex'ers to join me in my activity challenge.    I'm calling it the "Let's Get Moving" Challenge because I hate the word exercise.  Not only do I hate the word, I hate actually exercising.  LOL.  But really, all joking aside, I really do hate it.  But, I know it's the best thing for me.  I don't want to fail again.  I will fail if I don't try something different to get me out of this funk.

So, I challenge all of you to join me.  I'm going to try to "get moving" at least 4 times a week.  I'll stay accountable to all of you, which in turn will make me accountable to myself.  I promise to post my accomplishments and I welcome you to do the same.  Now that it should be easier for us to breathe, whadda-ya-say?  Do you want to take this journey with me?  Any activity counts, as long as you get off your butt and get your heart pumping.  Who knows, maybe we'll lose a little weight or a couple of inches in the meantime.

Labels (1)
2,527 Replies
Kathyann

I'm in

Let's do this

0 Kudos
YoungAtHeart

What are your plans for today?   Remember - this is all about MOVING - exercise is not required......but do it if you can.  There are all levels of physical ability in the group.

Diannnnn

Ok, so I didn't go to Yoga last night....just didn't have it in me at the end of the day. I did move a little more yesterday than the day before. This morning I put in two job apps online and I think I will pull up some Adriene videos and do some yoga before I eat something. Brain feels a little lighter today, but still somewhat weepy. Not sure what is up with that, but I sure hope that crap passes. I don't like it one bit!!

Sounds like everyone is doing well with their moving. Giulia‌, I'm not liking how much pain you are in....please take it easy.  I know it's frustrating.

0 Kudos
Roller831

Been moving like crap this week (or not really moving) and eating like crap.  I need to get my head out of my *ss and follow through on what I need to do and I know what I need to do and just need to do it!  Argh.  My daughter is reading the Judy blume book Are you there G-d, it's me, Margaret and she got to the chapter where the phrase, "I must, I must, I must increase my bust" is first published.  She giggled hysterically!  When she read it to me, all I could think of is, I must, I must, I must eat right and move!!!!  I think I spend more time punishing myself for NOT doing it than just doing what I know needs to be done!  

0 Kudos
elvan

roller831‌ I am having the same issues this week...I get mad at myself and then do something REALLY stupid, like eat something awful or blow off my work out, my head is in the same place yours is...well not in YOUR exact same place.  "We must, we must..."  Hahahahaha, I did that as part of my pool work out and couldn't help SAYING it. I had no idea that came from Judy Blume, I graduated from high school a long, long time before that book, I THINK. Hmmmmm.  Alright, as of this moment, I am going to get something done today.  I am working tomorrow so that will be my workout for Saturday.

Roller831

It's nice knowing I am not the only one, but don't wish this feeling on anyone!  I start off well each week and derail by Wednesday.  Sigh.  I just need a swift kick in the butt.

0 Kudos
bonniebee

Third floor and no air conditioner ??? It must get really hot up there where do you live Nancy ?

0 Kudos
bonniebee

You are right ellen we are the sae age and i remember we girls saying it in gym class ! I think Judy being of our generation first put it in print !

0 Kudos
bonniebee

Hi everyone I had a good long walk yesterday ! I brought my cell with me and called my sister Kathleen . We had been playing phone tag for days, we don't talk very often and she lives far away from me so I new it would be a long conversation in which case I  which case I ended up walking twice as long as usual probably about 2 miles . A good walk for me since I have not been walking very much since last spring . 

Did you I had or have Lyme disease for the second time in the past 3 years ? I have been having chronic fatigue  and such awful weakness I have waves of weakness constantly rushing through my body that is the only way i can describe it. Took an antibiotic for 21 days and then according to the CDC Lyme should be gone . I believe the doctors are between a rock and a hard place because the CDC will not acknowledge chronic Lyme disease therefore neither will the insurance companies and if a Doctor continues to treat Lyme he/she will risk losing  there license to practice .   It is a very complex issue and leaves many of us with Lyme Disease with no where to turn for help .For those of us on a fixed income we can't go to the LLMD's who don't take medicare and they are hard to find ...none in my area . I have also been having pretty major digestive issues . I now turn to food as medicine lots of info online and keeping ones body moving is an important part of natural healing . 

I truly have to force myself to walk I have even slowed way down on gardening and not because it is fall the flowers and veggies are still going but my motivation to move is very slowed down .

I am counting on you to help keep me going ! 

Today I have vacuumed my room , bathroom and hallway so far I am waiting for my friend karen to return with the car so i can go to the river and take a walk . Meanwhile I will bake my spaghetti squash .

Giulia‌ I hope you feel better what is causing your pain ? And Sharon shashort   it really does feel great to get into a smaller size again congrats  to you !   

JACKIE1-25-15

Well MOVERS  I have completed all of my 4 challenges this week.  TGIF Went out with a bang at Senior MOVERS.  Got there late on did 15 min of cardio or less.  But did my walk and run and yoga for a total 2 hr 13 min workout.  Have already stepped 9,578 already today.  I am going to relax for the remainder of the day.  "I think".  Working on some new recipes for the week.   One step at a time. 

0 Kudos