cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
jdesco311

Let's Get Moving Challenge

Jump to solution

Today is a happy day darn it!   I've been smoke free for 38 days today.  I've been on my pity potty just moping around.  I get home from work and lay down and watch television all night.  I sleep the weekend away.   I have no interest in doing anything at all.  Sometimes I don't even want to leave the office because there's nothing to look forward to when I get home.  (I used to sit on my beautiful deck and have a wonderful glass of red wine with my smokes, before I start dinner).  Not anymore.  It's the depression I experience ever time I quit.   For those of you who don't know me, I've quit many times (one time for four years!)  It's like there is simply no more enjoyment in life.  I can't enjoy a glass of wine because it is my number one trigger -- alcohol.  I've learned that lesson  more than once.   I'm far from an alcoholic, but I do enjoy going out and having a few drinks on occasion (in addition to my glass or two of red when I get home).  I haven't had a drink since my quit date of May 1, 2017.   BLAH, BLAH, BLAH...

BUT NOT THIS TIME!!!!!  No, no, no.  This time I'm going to do something different.  I refuse to go down the same road.  What's that famous saying by Einstein?  "Insanity is doing the same thing over and over again and expecting a different result?"  Well, insanity no more my friends.  I've decided to get off my couch and get my lazy butt moving.  This weekend I'm going to start living an active lifestyle.  I used to enjoy hiking, biking and kayaking and I do none of it anymore.  Everybody says that one of the best things for depression is getting outside and exercising.  Spring and sprung and there is no better time than now to start this challenge.

I'm looking for fellow Ex'ers to join me in my activity challenge.    I'm calling it the "Let's Get Moving" Challenge because I hate the word exercise.  Not only do I hate the word, I hate actually exercising.  LOL.  But really, all joking aside, I really do hate it.  But, I know it's the best thing for me.  I don't want to fail again.  I will fail if I don't try something different to get me out of this funk.

So, I challenge all of you to join me.  I'm going to try to "get moving" at least 4 times a week.  I'll stay accountable to all of you, which in turn will make me accountable to myself.  I promise to post my accomplishments and I welcome you to do the same.  Now that it should be easier for us to breathe, whadda-ya-say?  Do you want to take this journey with me?  Any activity counts, as long as you get off your butt and get your heart pumping.  Who knows, maybe we'll lose a little weight or a couple of inches in the meantime.

Labels (1)
2,527 Replies
elvan

Giulia  I can't do that amount of weight on my shoulders...I use little pink "Barbie weights"...it's all I can do.  I did my water work out this morning, 45 minutes and I even incorporated some things that the therapist tried to teach me.  I had her laughing like crazy because my balance really is terrible.  She had me kneeling on a noodle and she wanted me to stay upright and do the breast stroke to move forward from one end of the pool to the other...yeah, that didn't happen, I couldn't go three feet and I looked like a fish OUT of water. She was bent over laughing.  She did show me some reverse crunches that I can do in the water with a noodle to strengthen my core...I NEED that.  I slept like a rock yesterday and I am not sure I am completely recovered today.  I have a doctor's appointment tomorrow morning and then want to go to a couple of stores in that area, including a HUGE Goodwill.  Not sure how much energy I will really have but I will do my best to get everywhere I want to go.  Not sure about working out tomorrow.  I have therapy early on Friday so I will get exercise then and Saturday, I am working.  I cannot begin to tell you how tired I am shashort‌.  I am NO YoungAtHeart‌!  I am Oldofbody.

Did my "old lady" workout and abs and arms. Am I skinny yet???? NOPE!! Haha 

Giulia

elvan‌  The object of the game is simply to keep moving.  Barbie weights  are still weights!  Kneel on a noodle and do the breast stroke, eh?  No mean feat.  I'll have to look up pool exercises.  They sound like a lot of fun but much nicer on the body!

JACKIE1-25-15

pastedImage_1.png

0 Kudos
Diannnnn

Sounds like to me everyone is right on track! Remember, we all start from different fitness levels and have different health challenges. It really isn't fair to seriously compare ourselves to each other.  Admire what we are each doing, absolutely!! I thought about this today as I was thinking of JACKIE1-25-15 and YoungAtHeart, I feel like I am slacking compared to them.  But then again, I have been recovering from my first COPD exacerbation and changing everything about my life. I didn't exercise all winter, so I can't expect to jump up and do things like I did a year ago. We are all beasts because we are all pushing ourselves to do more, do better and get as healthy as we can. Trust me, I'm not looking to bike 100 miles or get put in AARP's "Old Ladies who have six-pack abs" calendar. I just want to take the best care of my body that I can and maybe repair a little damage if possible and help keep the depression gremlins at bay.

I hopped back on the moving challenge today.  By playing a little wiffle ball with the boys and walking over to the park to shoot hoops, plus my normal walking doing chores and checking on kids I managed to do over 12,000 steps today. Then, in accordance with my new deterrent to smoke plan, I biked 2.39 miles to get a pack of smokes. Overall I am happy with my exercise today.

What I am not happy about is the fact I have to rest after I run 10 ft!  If I don't, I start seeing spots and feel like I am starting to get dizzy. What? I can't even run to my own rebound? Nice job Dian, you've done quite the number on your lungs! I hope I can build some semblance of stamina over time. I suspect it will take longer since I have less to work with now, but I won't give up! 

Just gotta keep on moving,

Dian

elvan

Giulia‌ I kept landing face down in the water...the therapist was laughing so hard that I started laughing WITH her.  It shouldn't be so hard but I have this balance issue on land AND water.  I go back Friday morning.  Yeah, I can do lots of reps with my Barbie weights and they make me feel good.  I also have the reverse weights for the pool, you hold them DOWN instead of lifting them up, that's fun.

YoungAtHeart

I'm a - movin'!   today I mulched yet ANOTHER flower bed around a magnolia tree, hung my wash outside and brought it in when it was dry, went to the pool and did 30 minutes of water walking and walked 2 1/4 miles not including the pool.

I am so proud of EVERYBODY here.

You GO girls!!!

Together we burned a LOT of calories and  I bet we would make ONE skinny lady!!!

🙂

JACKIE1-25-15

I had all intentions of exercising today but when I got to the seniors exercise class my body didn't feel motivated.  My mind told me that I really did not need to do this but needed something a little more "creative" .  Okay creative.  Is that why your Zumba cd has dust on it and the Fix 21 is hidden?  Anyway, once I got started I was okay.  After exercising I ran a little, walked a little.  2.58 miles. Overall I have had a productive day even if I had to challenge myself to met the challenge to push a little further.  Done with challenge #3 but will do more!

Since i am working on weight loss as I was running I visualized the numbers on the scale going down   It helped to keep me moving.  Then those wings of angels I have to use sometimes lifted me up and I get lighter. I had two good workouts 21 min cardio and a 42 min walk /jog. As of 3 pm today I have 8834 steps but I am still waiting tor the numbers to synch. 

One of my mantras "Float like a butterfly sting like a bee" Muhammad Ali

Image result for float like a butterfly

YoungAtHeart

There will never be another Ali.  Dear heavens, but that man could MOVE!  He was so light on his feet, and such a huge presence.  It still makes me sad to know he is no longer of this earth,

Giulia

kristen-9.7.15   The day see 'skinny' again I'll probably be dying of some disease!  Think 'toning' Kristen.  Much more user-friendly word!  

elvan‌ Beddah you should fall on your face in the water than on concrete!  I'm glad you're having fun with it.  Exercise without fun is NO fun!

Diannnnn‌  12000 steps and whiffle ball!   YAY!  I know it's part of your plan challenge deterrent but ya gotta admit it sounds like a bit of a dichotomy to ride a bike 2.39 miles for a pack of smokes that make it harder to get your breath to ride a bike!  lol  Hey, I used to run 3 miles around Central Park and the minute I got home put a cigarette in my mouth.  So I'm well aware of the lunacy of this addiction.  You are in good company here!  Kudos for sticking with your plan.