cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cedmath1

Jogging

I have to say the best part of the day, on this smoking cessation journey, is taking the time to get outdoors and jog.  Needless to say, Jogging and exercise has been a healthy habit for me for years. At age 67  I will continue my training in order to run/jog multiple 10k's.  This is my time of the day where I can mindfully see myself as a happy non-smoker.  

5 Replies
Maki

That’s great @cedmath1 . 
I walk most days every summer and pass a lady ( likely as well in her sixties ) who trains for such as well . I’ve watched her transform from this tiny petite lady to just solid muscle oh my gosh I so admire her for her dedication . It didn’t matter the weather she was out there . My guess is she will again be out there on the sidewalks again soon if not already ( snow here ) I’m guessing she trains indoors in the winter or maybe goes somewhere over winter . 
. Please keep us updated in how your runs are going now that you are a non smoker and what benefits you’ve received from that with your running . 
Have you considered or do triathlons as well ? 

Barbscloud

@cedmath1 I agree.  I walk my dog every morning no matter the weather--I've always walked whether I smoked or not.    I used walking a lot when I first quit.  When I had a craving, I would just walk out the door and go a few blocks throughout the day.  No jogging for me at this point, but I'm glad you take the time to enjoy being outside with nature and exercising.  It's a great way to replace lost dopamine when quitting smoking. 

Congrats on day one.

Barb

0 Kudos
YoungAtHeart

Today is Day TWO of your quit?  If so, congratulations on Day Won!  Isn't it odd that we would exercise and then smoke?  I used to do quite the gym workout or swim laps and then get out to my car and light up!

I will look forward to hearing how much better you will be breathing and how more effortless the run will be.  And it WILL!  Keep going!

Nancy

0 Kudos
cedmath1

Well day 3 of my return from relapsing has come and gone.  I feel like I am smoke free again ( at intervals) so I treated myself to a long slow run thru Lincoln Park at 13:30 pace. 60 degrees with the sun shining, who could resist that?  Not I.  The 5.5 miles of rolling hills  was refreshingly challenging but I did have to work thru one small distraction, a smoking thought. Before I really realized it, it had pass. It was time to start singing off-key with my old ipod and  focus on my pacing form--that is until I looked up and saw a steep hill before me. Geeez--Yep walking is GOOD! Can I get someone to virtually walk a steep hill or any hill with me tomorrow instead of a smoke.

0 Kudos

@cedmath1I love reading this.  The only exercise that I used to do when I was a smoker was hiking and taking my dogs for walks.  I already notice the change in how I feel when I walk the dogs.  I breathe better, I don’t cough, and I often end up doing another workout when I get home (Zumba or kickboxing or something).  I used to have a cigarette right before I left to walk them and immediately on returning home.  That seems so foreign to me now and it’s only been a month.  I can’t wait to go hiking this summer and see how different it is!   And I can’t wait for you to see the changes you notice while jogging as you continue as a non smoker! Have an incredible day!