cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Exercising and Health

I am walking every day as long as there is no rain. 30 minutes a day. I probably wasted that much time smoking in the past. Yesterday I rewarded myself with a Wii and a Wii fit so now I can do a work out at home. Especially when I can't get out and walk, winter is coming. Although I will enjoy the walks in the cool weather. Once I get a new job, it may be too dark by the time I get home.
  208 smoke free days!
Tags (1)
0 Kudos
1,337 Replies
wanttorun

Amazingly, it's my 17th day being smoke-free! I have done better then all of my other attempts in the past and it's only because I've decided to change everything regarding my health: at the gym almost everyday and/or running outside if the weather permits, checking in with my fitness coach who makes it my number one goal every week to NOT smoke first and then exercise second, and discovering the the Eat Clean book by Tosca Reno. I am the most optimistic I've ever been, and the cravings are almost nonexistent (probably also due to the fact that I have refrained from any type of social situation since quitting, AND, my husband quit too).

Fitness has been the only way for me to do this. I feel like I'm the only girl at the gym who would even fantasize about lighting up a cigarette, and i do not want to be that girl! My body feels amazing right now, like it's not even mine, and I am so excited to see how much better I feel a year from now. I just hope nothing pops my motivational bubble. Good luck to everyone!!!

0 Kudos
magmar

Hey everybody! 

If you need some new workouts to do, there are some good ones on here:

http://www.exercisetv.tv/workout-videos/

Also,  if anyone needs to talk or vent please feel free to contact me! Don't worry, those obsessive "JUST ONE MORE" thoughts do go away!!!

Keep with it!!

0 Kudos
a.isaac1

I have been smoke-free for 22 days now!  Eating better and excercising is really keeping me going!  I have noticed that the withdrawls from nicotine were less severe this time than in the past, which I credit to excercise.

My mood has lifted significantly.  Whenever I think about lighting up, I just remember when I got off that elliptical machine last Friday, and I was winded, but in a good way.  Not all coughing and choked up like when I was a smoker.  My lung capacity has increased making excercise more bearable, and get this, even enjoyable!

Wow, this not-smoking thing is great!  Thanks to this website and the users for the great inspiration!

0 Kudos
marie23

Has anyone really looked closely at the pictures of the lady at the top of this group. I wonder is she 9 feet tall. 170 pounds and she look thin as can be what is up with that. Well anyway I just got back into my quit after getting off track for a couple weeks so maybe I just notice odds thing to keep my mind busy and distrated. Looking forward to getting back to working out Sat. Love the burn and need to sweat. Hang in there everyone

0 Kudos
heidi16

I've stepped up my workout routine since quitting.  It helps to reinforce the non-smoking.  I've pretty much worked out all my life and smoke all my life...real healthy, huh?  Anyway, thank God the healthy lifestyle beat out the unhealthy one.  So anyway, I've started running again albeit slowly, but I'm back to 3 miles, just need to get the speed back.  I work out with a trainer every so often and take group exercise classes.  I'm also looking into joining a running club.  I've tossed that idea around for years and now that I've quit for good this time, I think I'm ready to join...love that runner's high!

0 Kudos
heidi16

Had a great workout this morning.  Some cardio some weight training.  I've always worked out.  I've always smoked.  I was never a heavy smoker, but I could never quite kick the habit.  I have quit many, many times.   It seemed I reached a turning point somewhere in my 30's where I noticed the difference in my workout when I smoked and when I didn't.  That's when the struggle began to quit.  Well, all water under the bridge now.  Present day, I've gone 2 months and am back to running 3 miles about 3-4 days a week plus exercising - some weight training, some group classes, some with a personal trainer.  I put on 4 lbs from quitting smoking, I've dropped 2 lbs.  Wouldn't mind losing 5 lbs, but will be fine with 2 lbs.  I figured out what works for me.  If I could workout everyday and eat 6 small meals a day, I can lose and maintain my goal weight.  HA!  That's a big IF!  Just trying to replace a bad habit with a good one.  I heard that's what your supposed to do when you quit smoking or breaking any bad habit.  I already feel good about my accomplishments the 1st quarter 2010...now to set those for 2nd quarter!

0 Kudos
sspahn49

Wow, what a great group. I am on day 10 of my quit, and have exercised daily for almost 35 yrs. I am finding it the best way to get past the cravings and hopefully control the weight gain. When I was smoking I was still doing aerobics classes, walking, lifting weights. I now am starting to see a little more lung capacity. Because I am such an avid exerciser, I need knee surgery which is scheduled for April 5, At 60 yrs old I have learned more is not always better, you gotta know the balance. Good luck to all out there on this journey.

0 Kudos
marie23

Great Job Heidi, You do not have the personality to be a unhealthy smoker. You go girl. Be healthy strong and happy with your smoke-free self.

0 Kudos
marie23

Good luck to everyone staying quit and getting fit. We will do this together. Positve support and encouragement really helps to keep moving forward with a positve attitude. That is what we need to be successful. So lets all try to do the our best in making healthy eating choices and keep moving every little bit helps!

0 Kudos
marie23

Good Morning, So happy to have found this group. Just what I needed just like a lot of us I am sure. I am 51 years old I quit for about 8 months started working out and eating healthy just feeling greatl I let some of life's B.S. de rail me. Just for a short time I have quit and am working out a little. I need to get myself into a routine that I can work around my family. I do the home DVDs I have a lot of them and a Gazelle. Funny thing is I don't thing it makes any difference what you use to exercise everything works as long as you use it. Love the inspiring thoughts Thanks for creating this group and good luck to all. Together we stay quit and together we get fit. Marie

0 Kudos